The Alden Yachts Rendezvous at Mystic Seaport

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
is going to happen! Scheduled for July 27, 28 and 29 in the summer of 2018.

Details will be posted here as the plans evolve. I plan to attend by water, as well as several other Alden owners. Anybody else interested?

Please post your thoughts here about how we can reach other Alden owners and questions in general.
Alden Rendezvous blank.jpg

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
That schedule limits participation for us and perhaps others. We had hoped it was scheduled earlier in the summer given it's the 'you-know-what' season for our return trip home.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
That schedule limits participation for us and perhaps others. We had hoped it was scheduled earlier in the summer given it's the 'you-know-what' season for our return trip home.
All the more reason to sail north for the summer and hole up in New England, no? In all seriousness, I'm from New York and have no desire to move back to the east coast, but the idea of spending the nice summer months in various places in New England is on my bucket list. All of the various museums and historic points of interest in and around Mystic are just the tip of the iceberg.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have to wonder. If I could arrange a visit and it coincided with the Alden Rendezvous, would there be a day sail in that experience?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
All the more reason to sail north for the summer and hole up in New England, no? In all seriousness, I'm from New York and have no desire to move back to the east coast, but the idea of spending the nice summer months in various places in New England is on my bucket list. All of the various museums and historic points of interest in and around Mystic are just the tip of the iceberg.
I agree. We enjoyed sailing around New England when we lived there.

My problem is that summer ends there and the weather turns to ...... by November. Staying isn't an option so we'd have to head south mid-hurricane season.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It's a ferry ride for me, or a easy sailing trip. I'd love to see a collection of Alden's together.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
It's a ferry ride for me, or a easy sailing trip. I'd love to see a collection of Alden's together.
Ha! So would we! A "collection of Alden's' together", spanning a century of yacht design, could be a very eclectic mix of boats.

I think the location, close to the John Alden Design office that was in Boston for a century or so, is strategic. Mid summer in New England, with many sailboat events ongoing(and a date that was available to Scott), is prime time (but unfortunately not perfect for Don headed south that time of year).

Right now, Scott Kraft is doing the hard work of organizing with Mystic Seaport Museum, The Classic Yacht Owners Association (they will sponsoring the event), and various facilities in the area.

He's keeping in touch with a few of us that are doing what we can to promote the event.

Luckily for me, I've made the trip to Southern New England several times, from Maine. Plus our son is now working and living in Boston and our daughter is living and working in Brooklyn NY. We'll be getting together on the water with them. Great fun to look forward to.

Nov 6, 2009
Details are now set!
For those of you from further away, please come celebrate John G Alden starting on Thursday, July 26 with informal drinks and dinner at the near-by Stonington Harbor Yacht Club. I’ve reserved the front dock and there is about 200’ available by contacting KCanning@shyc.us. Moorings are available at Dodson Boatyard and there is anchorage just south of the inner breakwater.

On Friday, our Alden fleet will sail in company up Fischer’s Island Sound to the Seaport. I’m working with a local restaurant for another informal dinner.

Display and judging will take place on Saturday from 10 to 4:00. Participants are encouraged to dress ship. Awards and dinner start at 5:00 in the Seaport Boat Shed.

Mid-day Sunday the entire fleet will parade down the Mystic River. Those wishing to return to the Seaport will have complimentary docking on Sunday.

Cost is $75.00 per boat and includes three nights of tie-up at the Seaport and full access to the Museum for the entire crew. The Rendezvous is open to any boat designed or built prior to 1975. There is also a Spirit of Tradition class. Applications are obtained at www.mysticseaport.org/Acbr.

If you have questions, please email me at boundinghome@aol.com or call my cell 201-919-4156

Hope to see you all there

Scott Kraft

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I agree. We enjoyed sailing around New England when we lived there.

My problem is that summer ends there and the weather turns to ...... by November. Staying isn't an option so we'd have to head south mid-hurricane season.
You are a wise seaman Don.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
We're planning on making the event. We've made the sail, Penobscot Bay to Buzzards Bay - and back - over a dozen times in the past few decades. We've usually packed that into a 2 to 3 week trip making the passage, about 150 NM (under sail), on an overnight. In my minds eye, the passage always looks easy,...

Gulf of Maine title.jpg

Recalling past passages, brings me back to reality. I recall, 24 hours under power on a sea of glass, on the other hand,... I remember well the boat hitting 12 knot stints surfing downwind on large rollers in 37 knots of breeze.

Mostly, the passages (at least half single handed), have been something in between.

The best one I recall - heading south, was with our son and daughter and myself. It had an unlikely beginning; light Southerly winds on the nose in the mouth of the Penobscot Bay, at dawn. That usually meant motor-boating. But our kids are dyed in the wool sailors and when I suggested we allow ourselves 30 or so hours to sail it - come what may - they were all for it, we shut the engine down.

We spent a great day sailing close hauled, heading SE out into the Gulf. Boat speeds were in the 4 knot range, at times ghosting through lulls of 1 to 2 knots, but she was steady and determined and doing all the work.

There was ample time for us, a lavish lunch and dinner and conversation, as the AP (aka the 'bad boy'), did all the steering. My daughter, just like her mother, devours entire books under sail.

All that was heard for miles around us on the Gulf of Maine, was our laughter.

Crossing dinnerime.jpg

Waaay,... off the rhumb line after a day on a single, long port tack, we took our second tack of the trip onto starboard, and headed back into the coast, some 50-60 miles away.

The Southerly breeze had filled in gradually throughout the day and this photo (above) reminds me we were 80NM from home.

The head wind continued to build as CHRISTMAS galloped into the setting sun to the West.

Setting sun Gulf.jpg

It was a peaceful night as boat speeds settled in around 6 knots heading SW. I stayed up on watch(the kids sleep like rocks under sail). The GPS showed us way wide of our rhumb line, again. I didn't care, we enjoyed letting the boat sail her best. The sounds on a boat at night under sail, are enjoyment enough.

We held our second tack until daybreak. Time to cook! Our full breakfast at dawn was beautiful. Sailing and good food are a family component.

Gulf Thomas breakfast, MJ sleeping.jpg

We were all energized, including the Southerly that was kicking up with a Cape Cod Bay vengeance that now, included just enough Westerly, to put us on our destinations bearing.

TT helm.jpg

We hit the Cape Cod Canal at the peak of the ebb and it sucked us through in no time.

What a lesson in sailing we had. This trip was the longest - in miles - of any we had made previously. But it was also the shortest in time elapsed from home to Buzzards Bay. Batteries dead, fuel tanks full, that night we enjoyed the dead sleep (anchored in Onsest), that follows a one night passage.

Fully recovered and anchored inside Cuttyhunk, my son went sailing.

Dinghy sailing Cutty.jpg

Last edited:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
John Gale Alden holding his niece in RI, with his mother, sister, brother and two unknown ladies on the right. A great photograph posted on the John Alden Yachts Facebook page, by John's granddaugther.
John Alden and family.jpg