The Circle

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I do not know about you but I enjoy the time on my boat getting away from the connections of the daily world... Standing and scanning th horizon at least every 15 minutes.

Maybe that is why I found the book, and now the movie (that just showed up on Amazon) The Circle as disturbing as 1984, or the Net, or Black Mirror... This is the millennial version.

What struck me is the comment that “going off kayaking alone was denying the rights of participation for the son who has MS and cannot leave his home”. It caused me to wonder about the sailing YouTube video blogs that have sprung up and are being watched by hundreds of thousands and paid for by “Patron’s”. Believing they are living the life of the sailor by watching a video of someone sailing. This screams “The Matrix” to me. Maybe it is just me. Maybe I have taken the red or was it the blue pill.

Or the situational sitcom about the “Crowd” solving crimes.

Is technology helping or hurting us. How many times have you caught yourself watching the monitor while you track your path, switching on the radar then checking the FLIR Cameras on your MFD, yet not scanning the horizon for 45 minutes or an hour. (Say it is not so).

Could that thinking have contributed to the tragedies affecting the US Navy this past 18 months?

It is said the technologies of some power boats have been the cause of more than one boat crashing into a break water.

What are your thoughts about Social Communities like facebook/twitter/instagram/etc.
I know the irony... I am asking this question of online friends and fellow sailors sharing their ideas through SBO...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
interesting comments and thoughts about humans having the tendency to be bedazzled with the chance to experience the world through an alternate lens of their own creation. I think we dazzle ourselves with the novelty of technology and we often lose sight of the roll it plays as a tool because we start to immerse ourselves in it as a new paradigm instead.
On one hand, I am grateful for the GoPro because I watch other people's feeds and learn something from them. They are interesting adventures and they spark my imagination. On the other hand, it is so easy to watch the next video and the next one and finally, the hours I could have spent repairing my boat and going sailing, I've spent in a chair watching a movie of sorts. I'm also not the type too reciprocate with the publishing of my own movie. However, I see my attitude changing with the culture and one never knows. I like video games and played Assassins Creed Black Flag all the way through because I had fun experiencing the days of pirates and being astounded by the amazing achievement of virtual realism. If a real pirate ship had been available to sail, I would have rather done that. Unless the enemy were firing REAL canon balls at me.
It's the ease with which we become reliant upon our technology that is really concerning. Staring at the radar screen or the GPS course plotter takes away or changes the experience we go sailing for. This ability to view the world remotely has its benefits. It allows for greatly enhanced classroom experiences, for example, but, it can also rob us of deeper involvement in the world.
It's no wonder these things are addictive. We all feel pleasure at achieving something with ease and this "virtual experience" technology is designed to do that for us. The dopamine just goes wild in our brains. We have to practically force ourselves to look up to see the real instead of the "enhanced" world.
In the end, we need to keep in mind what it is we really want and try to stay on that course.
- Will ("philosopher", Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
Polaris binoculars at hand and me paper charts laid out below.
While I do scan AIS and a chart plotter as I cruise through busy traffic waters or explore new channels between islands.. I cannot be without my pair of Nikon binoculars, a camera and charts. There is just so much to see and enjoy.

And now Stu has me estimating the crossing conditions of the tugs and container ships. Can I make it ahead or astern. Is that tug pulling that barge? A curse on you Stu for getting me to pull out my trig book, dividers and compass.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I don't have Instragram; a Facebook or Twitter account; Netfilx, nor even a Smart Phone; no Tablet, no Notebook, etc.
Me, too, pretty much. I do have a phone, but use it for nothing but music on the new Bluetooth system I installed last March, and I use the laptop to watch favorite shows or movies in the evening when I'm cruising. My GPS screen is a Garmin handheld; I keep my head outside the boat and use, not only just carry, paper charts. I don't think of sbo or the other boating forums as "social media" - to me they are technical training seminars on a daily basis. :) See? Just like John said, test on Tuesday! :)

Oct 22, 2014
Tis the season and I'm struggling with "Visions of Cones of Uncertainty" dancing in my head.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
We have recently gone back to basics due to a lightning strike. We have no instruments at all and recently went out sailing for 5 days. It was sort of liberating and confidence building at the same time. Paper charts and a compass. I must admit I miss the depth sounder most. It will be nice when the insurance company gets off the dime since this is the best time of the year for sailing.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
So far I am "bedazzled" only with CHIRP sonar from it nearly 3D pictures of fish and bottom structures. CHIRP radar is now available too.

The Boat Safety presented to the modern sailing Captain, using high speed computations and instruments is too much to relinquish.

For those not familiar with small craft MARPA radar tracking, it rivals Naval CIC rooms which see no horizons.

Even the US Navy stand weather deck watches using visual methods. Don't conflate collision avoidance with iPad distractions. In a high traffic area, even a visual check may not avoid a collision, since there may more than 1 Captain involved.
______
When looking for our boat, I didn't have Radar, Sonar and Auto Pilot on my lists of wants.
Now they have become a key to my Boat and crew safety.

I have grown to appreciate..
1) Anchor drift alarms
2) DSC and MMSI alarms and uses
3) AIS
4) Man Over Board location and tracking
5) Radar Guard Zones
6) FM Radio Channel 16
7) GPS SOG and COG
8) Digital Chart Plotting that compute ETA's for planning.

I am still learning of these advancements, thus reducing the "Cone of Uncertainty";)
Jim...

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
When I was maybe 8-10 years old I had a very vivid dream that I was in a sailplane. I never knew where that dream came from, but it was a profound experience that I never forgot. I finally had the opportunity to actually go up in a 2-32 when I was in my late 50s and was so disappointed in the experience because it was such gauges based flying. it was my one and only sailplane flight. I did, however, fly hang glider for 18 years and 2500+ hours of airtime. best training for sailing ever! it's now second nature to always be aware of what the wind and weather around me is doing. only reason to even turn on the GPS is to see if we're sailing fast enough to brag about it later. ;)

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I have grown to appreciate..
1) Anchor drift alarms
2) DSC and MMSI alarms and uses
3) AIS
4) Man Over Board location and tracking
5) Radar Guard Zones
6) FM Radio Channel 16
7) GPS SOG and COG
8) Digital Chart Plotting that compute ETA's for planning.

I am still learning of these advancements, thus reducing the "Cone of Uncertainty";)
Jim...
1) is a substitute for not keeping an anchor watch; 2) is a substitute for not being able to tell the USCG where you are in an emergency; 3) is a substitute for not knowing how to use your radar and not knowing the vessel light configurations; 4) is a substitute for not being tethered or not holding on while moving about the boat; 5) is a substitute for not keeping a proper lookout; 7) is a substitute for not keeping a DR track and not making LOP fixes when possible; 8) is a substitute for not being able to divide Destination Distance/SOG and then look at your watch or ships clock. :yeah:

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Not a substitute at all, but an Enhancement.

I still have my paper charts, compass, sextant, binoculars, fog horn and megaphone. I even have a radio direction finder. [OMG really]

Plus I know how to use them.:)

I love MARPA since it will compute avoidance coarse corrections, timing and distance of passing a vessel, and relative course and speed... much much faster than by hand, for a single handed or two person crew. The hand calculator is much faster than a Slide Rule. I know how you use both, also.

Do Not Conflate Improved Safety with hand done computations.
Jim...

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
When shopping for a boat this Fall I was shocked at the number of listings with a flat screen t.v. but no chartplotter.

Oct 22, 2014
@danm1 It feels like a sign of the times. Everything to keep you connected to the virtual world.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
What are your thoughts about Social Communities like facebook/twitter/instagram/etc.
When
When Phil first introduced the War Room forum, I was quite enthralled and active. Over time, however, just like with other social media, people have trouble with dialogue they oppose, so I dropped out permanently. No matter the facts or thoughts, much of what people do when they disagree resort to verbal attacks, personal slams, profanity, etc. That is why Phil shut the forum down and also the reason why I do not participate in social media. I do text with immediate family and friends, but when it comes to issues outside the family I try hard to steer clear.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Tis the season and I'm struggling with "Visions of Cones of Uncertainty" dancing in my head.
Just don't go Ramblin' too far. Keep those visions 1 nm apart, in an unbroken chain of 50.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
much of what people do when they disagree resort to verbal attacks, personal slams, profanity, etc.
In logic it is called 'ad hominem' (against the man) it is a logical fallacy that you see a lot in politics.
I can't find in the Google the exact quote or who said it but I think it is a truism that those who don't come to their opinions by reason and logic shall not let their opinions be changed by such.
- Will ("the logician", Dragonfly)

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
No matter the facts or thoughts, much of what people do when they disagree resort to verbal attacks, personal slams, profanity, etc.
It's the basic creed of some that when you begin to lose an argument or debate on the lack of merit attending your view, then personally attack your opponent. After all, if your opponent is "shown" to be a bad person in some way(s), then s/he could not possibly have a good argument, or point of view, etc. (So the thinking apparently goes.) Chess playing is a good "metaphor." I once saw a guy upon losing his third game slam his opponent's head with a champagne bottle.:yikes:

Last edited: