High pitch whine.

Oct 3, 2014
hunter 42 Alamitos Bay
I have a 1998 Hunter 42, and I am hearing a high pitch whine that occurs at about 1500 RPM and then again at 2200. you cannot hear it when in the engine bay but is very apparent in the cockpit. Any Ideas? I took my mechanic for a sea trial and of course no noise.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
On that boat the motor is turbocharged.
It's either turbo or transmission gear whine. If it's the same pitch at different rpm I'd think turbo.
Probably normal. unless it's never done it before or its excessively loud.

Check it in the engine bay at those rpms under load. The throttle position is significantly different idle vs load to achieve the desired rpms. Under load the turbo will be creating pressure.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I was going to make a comment about multiple siblings @Kermit , but I’m in enough poop today already. :)

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
...you cannot hear it when in the engine bay but is very apparent in the cockpit....
Just a thought in light of the above. Right after we bought our H31, in went on the hard for a new shaft, cutless bearing, and strut, among other things. When I put in back in the water, at a certain narrow rpm range I would get this high pitch "ringing" a sort of metallic noise, only heard in the cockpit. Worried me, as I thought it was likely drive-train related, but I quickly determined that it was a vibration resonance affecting the (stainless steel) wheel, the wheel axle that runs into the pedestal, and a portion of the wheel pilot hardware. I now simply avoid that RPM setting (maybe 1800 rpm, +/- 100 rpm). Are you certain it is engine related?

Oct 3, 2014
hunter 42 Alamitos Bay
thank you for your response I don't think it is related to the engine, I thought of cutlass bearing too, I am having a haul out soon for bottom paint will replace it. also will put some pressure on the steering next outing.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
That's what actually did it for me. While underway, with the noise present, I moved while the boat moved differently, and I put some pressure on the wheel. The noise stopped. I repeated it several times to convince myself it was just a weird harmonic, induced by vibration.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
My first reaction was a belt -- but then I read that you don't hear the noise below when you listen "inside" the engine compartment. I wouldn't think a turbo whine would appear at two places on the RPM spectrum as you rev up.

DO YOU GET THE SAME NOISE GOING DOWN (at the cited RPM's) as when GOING UP?

Oct 3, 2014
hunter 42 Alamitos Bay
the noise is the same pitch at low RPM and High it starts at about 500 then stops until you get to about 1500 and stops at higher revs.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
DOES IT START AGAIN WHEN YOU COME DOWN from say 2200 RPM at about 1500, then stop as you go farther down -- and then start when you are idling at 500 RPM again?

You are sure that the only noise is in the cockpit -- i.e., you don't here it in the engine room? (I'm amazed, when you say a whine would have that characteristic.)

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Also, does the whine appear at the same rpms when the engine is in neutral? How about in reverse?

Oct 3, 2014
hunter 42 Alamitos Bay
the zinc was changed recently but the whine was there before and after, does not do it in neutral, thanks you all for your input. going to test all the suggestions this weekend.