Transom repair

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
Hi All!
I'm looking for some advice from the wisdom of the crowd. I was looking at this boat as a project boat. It's an 83 Cat 30 Tall Rig:

It's had some impact damage on the port transom. You can see the backstay chainplate is involved and a 3ft section of the rub rail is torn away. The chainplate moves side to side about 1/2" when jiggled by hand so I know it's not well secured Also some dockrash that gouged through the gel coat around the waterline. The question is: How difficult is this type of repair on the transom? I won't attempt this myself...but is it a $1500 job or a $5000 job? I could ask the marina for a quote, but I wanted an idea before hand. I'm asking in North Texas prices as I'm sure rate vary widely depending on location.

If I can get a bargain price is it worth the effort to fix the transom? From what I gather, North Texas was hit with remnants of a hurricane a few years ago and the boat was hit by another boat but stayed afloat. Lot's of other items need to be addressed too, which is why a good price can be sought in my mind. Thanks for some insight!
KBG

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@kbgunn I have some personal experience. Last May a fishing boat tried to run me down. It hit the last 3 feet of my starboard stern. I am waiting to haul the boat out in January and have repairs done. My quote is $5500 for fiberglass repairs in the Pacific NW. Not sure if they will run that high. The quote is the worst case scenario. My damage looks less than what appears in your picture. My damage appears to be localized to the deck and the deck to hull joint. Till the boat is out of the after and the joint opened up the extent of repair needed is just a guess.

It looks to me that you have not only deck damage but the hull was compromised as well. When you start it is like a rabbit hole. You will need to decide to say stop as the work discovers the extent of the damage and how to repair to make the boat seaworthy. The compromised chainplate is significant.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
You do see that name sticker, poorly applied, is covering some thing up too.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
If you get quotes from more than one yard, ask their rates ($/man hour) and get specific about what they think is involved in making the repair.

I don't know but, that giant sticker just seems weird. John's point is right. Have you looked at the hull from inside?
The chain plate and rub rail are no big deal, you could do it yourself in a couple of days, but that boat looks like a big '?' and a much deeper hole in the water than her keel depth. I would tell you to find a good surveyor but, I don't get the impression you think the deal is worth spending more on her than what ever you can talk the owner down to. But, hey, look at me. I bought my boat from a drive-by snap shot and a phone conversation. I was told I could sail the boat that day but, I knew that might not be true and it wasn't. :cool:
No regrets though. Dragonfly is a beauty and I'll have her in the water next Summer.
- Will (Dragonfly)

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
@kbgunn I have some personal experience. Last May a fishing boat tried to run me down. It hit the last 3 feet of my starboard stern. I am waiting to haul the boat out in January and have repairs done. My quote is $5500 for fiberglass repairs in the Pacific NW. Not sure if they will run that high.....
Sorry about your mishap @jssailem. Fishing and ski boats never seem to get that they are MUCH more maneuverable than a sailboat. I constantly scan for them after several close encounters , oh and jetskis too.....
I really just needed a ballpark to see if it was worth engaging some professionals for an estimate. Thanks for the reply!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Glad to help. My event occurred in fog. Fortunately I great friend was sailing with me as we traveled through the fog. The fishing boat appeared at a high rate of speed. Almost missed. My friend turned about and chased the guy down and shepherded the boat back so I got his info. He stepped up and paid for the bill. Now I just need the repair guys to do there magic.

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
Oh yeah. Good eye. It's on port and starboard. It's covering a broad area of dock rash on both sides. On inspection, it "feels" like the gouges are through the gelcoat and into a layer of glass. But not down in to the core mat. I say "feels" because thats all I did was run my hand over the area covered by the decal. Of course I would have the decals removed for a good look before ever offering any $.

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
If you get quotes from more than one yard, ask their rates ($/man hour) and get specific about what they think is involved in making the repair.
Good point. That will allow me to tell how much effort each shop thinks is involved for a much more thorough comparison. Thanks Will. Love the hatch board artwork by the way!!!

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
While not quite as bad as yours, the Stargazer had some dock rash as well when we got her. The port stern corner of the deck/hull joint had a sizable chunk broken off of it.
2014-12-27 16.03.03.jpg

I was able to fill the gaps in with white Marinetex, and sand it all flush.It still has some minor imperfections, but I will fill those in the next time I break out the Marinetex.

2017-07-02 12.58.48.jpg

Pay no attention to the large Iquana, and thumb in the top right of the picture LOL

Can you get matching molding/rub rail to the pieces that are missing/dammaged on her?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Thanks Will. Love the hatch board artwork by the way!!!
Thanks for the compliment. I really appreciate it.
Everyone should have some art work, boat name, mascot, cool logo... Send me a private messege, if you are interested. I don't want to get into it on thus forum. :what: I'll have a web site up soon.
Otherwise, keep us posted on how this project works out.
- Will (Dragonfly)

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
A boat mascot!
I just noticed there are actually two Iguanas in that picture. Not boat mascots!!! we call the green rats. They climb on board to sun themselves, and then crap all over the deck. They climb up the pilings and docks and then cross over on the dock lines. I have been trying to find an easy way to install rat guards on the lines.

rat guard.jpg

But iguanas are so much bigger than rats. (they can get up to 5 feet) they can climb over any guard I have seen, and I want something that is easy to work with.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
we call them green rats
I feel your pain! I get spider poop in the spring and bird crap in the fall when the weather cools. Those silly birds can get their feet to some weird angles when they perch on the backstay. And I can't forget the ducks! Last year, a hen laid two eggs in the cockpit - don't know how long they were there before I found them. None of this compares to what @Kermit has to put up with from his mascots!

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
On second thought, run it up a short 2x4 then over to the boat.
- Will (Dragonfly)

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
That climb that?
- Will (Dragonfly)
Not sure since the dock lines are not yet protected.

Heck, for all I know, they may be leaping from the dock directly onto the boat. These things nest in trees, and jump from branch to branch.

iguana tree.jpg

Last edited: