Water to flush the head

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
You'll use a lot less flush water after solids because the bowl won't need much cleaning if you add about a pint of water to it ahead of use. If your toilet isn't one that can bring water in and hold it in the bowl, use a beer cup from the sink.
We do that. I have a gallon jug. I collect the first gallon or two from the water maker run, clean but not drinkable. Then we use that water to fill the bowl before doing that business.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
This is the T under my sink. It is similar to Jesse's. The white line goes to the head raw water intake. The black line comes down from the sink. Close the seacock. Put water in the sink. Flush the head wet until the sink is empty, then flush dry to push everything into the holding tank. No connection to fresh water tank or lines. If I can do it, anyone can. I was once told I should never use tools without supervision.

Attachments

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
Catalina 310 323 Middle River, Md
I did this on Saturday. Boat is on the hard so I didn't get a chance to try it, but I think it will accomplish my intended goal and it only cost a few dollars. The hardest part was getting the hose to make the bend up into the vanity. I was going to re-purpose the Tee that the head intake and shower/fridge sump shared, but it was a tee with three threaded fittings, opted for a one piece barbed tee. West marine only had plastic, but the guy said it was suitable for below waterline.

Thanks for the tips, sure was easier than adding a second water tank ;-)

Mike

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
I did this on Saturday. Boat is on the hard so I didn't get a chance to try it, but I think it will accomplish my intended goal and it only cost a few dollars. The hardest part was getting the hose to make the bend up into the vanity. I was going to re-purpose the Tee that the head intake and shower/fridge sump shared, but it was a tee with three threaded fittings, opted for a one piece barbed tee. West marine only had plastic, but the guy said it was suitable for below waterline.

Thanks for the tips, sure was easier than adding a second water tank ;-)

Mike
One of the biggest bang for the buck jobs I've ever done on a boat.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE="Lisa, post: 1420573, member: 139532..., but the guy said it was suitable for below waterline. Thanks for the tips, sure was easier than adding a second water tank ;-) Mike[/QUOTE]

I think plastic below the waterline is not a good idea. You CAN find metal tees- hardware store or Home Depot IIRC. I just used one for the tempering valve. I think that bend in the drain will slow or not allow normal drainage. My drain goes 2' downhill to the seacock, and it takes almost a full sink of water to overcome the bay water resistance. my 2 cents.

KZW

May 17, 2014
I didn't think it a good idea to put soap, detergent, or anything else that might end up in the sink into the holding tank. I thought I read that somewhere.

In regard to emptying the sink via the seacock: No issues on my boat, works just fine.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I didn't think it a good idea to put soap, detergent, or anything else that might end up in the sink into the holding tank. I thought I read that somewhere.
You did...at least one of the dozen or more times I've posted it. :D Which is why I said "Unless it's gray water..."

KZW

May 17, 2014
Thank you Peggy. Everyone who has a head on their boat should have a copy of your book (and read it). I keep mine handy

CTS

Dec 5, 2017
Catalina 27 pa
Finally got to use this set up while on our day sail today, worked great. Thanks