Loading outboard motor to dinghy

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Your 77 and we are not getting any younger and you have a nice 41 Hunter and so do it right from the start and make your life easy and go for a well made outboard lift arm off the rail and so easy to do less work and no brainer.
I stopped doing everything the hard way or risky way and shit would happen and than do it all over again the right way first time,I got davits and got a Garhauer outboard lift and a rib and leave the outboard on the dinghy and the dinghy is on the davits most of the time while cruising.
nick

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
we have a stern mounted radar mast (Garhauer) and I added their motor hoist. works great, 5hp 4 stroke merc - 90lbs

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I have this outboard Hoist/Davit:

outboard hoist.jpg ld_6-1_m_long_1 outboard hoist.jpg

Garhauer LD 6-1 M Long Lifting Davit Engine Hoist

It is removable, and folds and stows in a skinny bag. There is a ring that mounts on the top rail of the pushpit, and a ball socket that mounts on the deck. You just unfold it, slide it through the ring, and into the socket, and then use it. Once you are done, you can disconnect it, and fold and bag it for storage.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Hi John, I have an outboard motor lift that I use to lower the 5 hp 2 stroke, 43 lbs, to my dinghy. It was a local fab job and was a snap to install. I'll get a picture to you. There are some really nice motor lifts on the market if you want to go to the purchase route.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
complete re-imagioning of how to take a OB off and on a sail boat.
I like that Les. I'll have to measure that area on our boat. Not getting any younger and the motor seems to get heavier every year!

Jun 27, 2004
Hunter 34 New Bern, NC
My bimini has a brace that is strong enough to hold a block and tackle for the motor.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
The Garhauer motor lift is what I use is easy very strong and is flexible and what I mean is the dinghy does’t have to be in perfect position to put on your dinghy.
Easy to remove and very easy install.
Nick

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
I have an Ocean Marine Systems lift on my KVH antenna pole. Can put my old Yamaha 4HP or my Lehr 5HP down with one hand. Works ok with limited waves, but of course launching any dinghy in other than calm seas can be troublesome.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 38 Pentwater MI
We have a Hunter 38 with Garhauer davits and a dinghy with a Honda 2.3 similar to yours. We leave it on the dinghy and on the davits unless the weather is bad. The Honda is only 35 pounds which is why we bought it so no problem mon!

Jun 21, 2016
Hunter 30 Noank, CT
This is the reason why I still stay with my Mercury 2.2hp 2-stroke outboard .... only 28-lbs. My dinghy can handle up to a 6-HP, but every time I even think about moving up, I again think about the hassle of moving it from rail to transom. The 2.2HP gets me to shore with 3 persons aboard just fine ... not breaking any speed limits though ... but, also not breaking my back!

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I use the motor lift on the rear stern of my H-36 to put my outboard on my dinghy before we leave the dock
to go cruising and stay on my dinghy on my davits all of usually about 3 weeks and than again when we return to my dock at the end of our cruising trip.
But I do love my motor lift and just had my 4th back surgery so spend the $$$$ and save your back.
Nick

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I have given up on gas dingy outboards for several reasons. First, our cruising area no longer requires a big planing dingy. And I was sick and tired of fuel problems.. old gas.. water in gas.. spilled gas.. etc. Also, temperamental starting problems with small seldom used outboards. And I am getting so close to 77 that motor weight becomes a big deal. I stumbled on a used Torqeedo Travel that still left me a little money in the bank and am very happy with it. The motor without the battery is only 20# and can be easily loaded and secured on the dingy. Then the battery, 11#, is attached after the motor is secure. Plenty of range for running back and forth from a mooring or anchorage.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I had the same idea until did the math on charging it and what I did buy a new carb and started buying
Ethanol free gas and adding seafoam to the gas regularly and been running great ever since and always starts first pull and runs great.
one of our club member s had one of those Torqeedo and many times has run into a too low battery power on the return trip and needing a tow back to his boat recently had problems with don't know for sure but think water getting into lower unit.
he selling it and just got a gas outboard.
They need a very long recharge and if at Marines and can be plugged in all night that would be great but if anchoring would need to run Gen recharging many hours and that is my 2 cents.
Yes outboards can be a real pain for sure but doing as I said and less trouble.
Nick

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Davits and leave the motor in place. Some don't like the looks, but they work.

I would never put a dinghy on deck and remove the engine. It's supposed to be fun. Also, my daughter started taking the dingy on her own when she was ~ 12, and with davits she could do it on her own.

No davits, I'd use a kayak. I had davits on my last boat and I use a kayak on this one.