Towing Vehicle

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
"caravan"? Are you from across the pond Rick? I love the Ft Walton area. I did some work for Boeing on Eglin AFB a while back. We've been vacationing in Destin every few years since.
No, but I am married to one. She has funny names for all sorts of stuff.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a dealer, I would insist teaching how my customers to drive slowly first to become acclimated. The advice of driving like a grandma first is the best advice to go slow. Then go to a big parking lot and do some sharp turns being careful not to hit anything like with the mast sticking out the back. Also learn how to back up using cones not cars in the event you might hit a rubber or plastic cone during the learning curve.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Hi, thank you for your informative reply. Can I just query the 90% quote please, is this a US legal issue or a rule of thumb because this puts the X3 towing weight well below it's specified towing weight?
There is no legal requirement, just common sense to preserve safe vehicle handling. It obviously has to do with speed so at lower speeds (undetermined) 100% would be fine.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
A point has been brought up and that is the added load imposed when pulling a boat out of the water in a ramp. The resistance of the water, the steepness of the ramp and the final draining of the water ballast tank is sure to add to the towed load. So reserve a margin of towing capacity for the pull out.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
At least she can drive fast but doubt those green frog legs can hop that fast but rather some good eating after being gagged I mean gigged and cooked.

May 6, 2004
- - Potomac
Lots of good advice here, as usual. I think it is OK to ask a little too much from a towing vehicle, once in a while. OP has said he'll tow a few local miles a few times a year. It'll be fine. Enjoy the boat!

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Wheelbase has a lot to do with how it handles. The longer the better. Personally, when it's all said and done I think you can pull your Hunter with the Bimmer. I towed my 26S with a 2WD 4.0l Aerostar
Almost but not completely. The biggest issue with handling will be how close rear axle is to the trailer ball. I tow with a new Jeep Cherokee. Best handling tow vehicle I have ever used. Where you get into trouble is when your tow vehicle has a lot of overhang. Then the weight of the trailer has leverage over the rear axle stability. This will induce sway and will be difficult to control.
BTY: I also like having a vehicle with low range. Being able to move slowly with extra torque provided by low range just makes things much easier. For the most part, you don't need to step on the gas to pull the boat up the ramp, just let off the brake.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
@GBGraham , you have a diesel vehicle which gives you a torque advantage. For a comparison, I drive one of the big trucks Americans love so much, a 5.3L V8 (gas/petrol) Chevy Silverado. While I have over 100 more HP than your X3 does, I only have about 40 more lb/ft of torque. Your X3 will do just fine for your application. For your reference, and the FYI of all others, here is UK based Caravan tow review article for the BMW X3 that lists everything in KG; (trying to compare apples to apples)
https://www.practicalcaravan.com/reviews/tow-car/42768-bmw-x3

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Almost but not completely. The biggest issue with handling will be how close rear axle is to the trailer ball.
Not necessarily true. The old 250 was a short wheelbase, and when the trailer wanted to wallow, the truck would get pulled around. With the long wheelbase 350, it rides like a dream, and the 350 has an 8' box so the ball is a good 2' further back. The only downside to a long wheelbase is the argument you get from the locals when you take up 2 spots at Wallymart. But then again, it's something like a Civic against an urban assault vehicle. What r they gonna do....

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Not necessarily true. The old 250 was a short wheelbase, and when the trailer wanted to wallow, the truck would get pulled around. With the long wheelbase 350, it rides like a dream, and the 350 has an 8' box so the ball is a good 2' further back. The only downside to a long wheelbase is the argument you get from the locals when you take up 2 spots at Wallymart. But then again, it's something like a Civic against an urban assault vehicle. What r they gonna do....
Maybe look at wheelbase vs distance from axle to ball as a ratio. We are still talking about leverage. That is as long as there is enough weight on the rear axle. My Jeep probably has a shorter wheelbase than your 250, but tows well because the trailer hitch is only about a foot behind the rear axle.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
According to BMW's web site the X3 is rated for a total of 1360 kg's (3000#) towing capacity so no I would say that your vehicle is not rated to tow your 26' boat and trailer, doesn't mean it wouldn't its just not rated for it.
Not rated for the US version but in Europe his 4WD version with the diesel engine is rated for 5,300#. The rating systems differ with ours taking into consideration higher road speeds, higher liability and product warranty concerns.

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
For road trip a 3/4 ton truck is great .
For ramp launch I have used my 2010 Jeep Liberty . Tow package and rated for 5000lbs.
On a ramp in 4 WD . this thing pulls better than anything.
The curb weight on the Jeep is 4200lbs. It handles the rig with ease , I just think the brakes would be the weak link . But in the relatively flat UK . You should be fine. Land Rover defenders tow much heavier rigs in the UK .

Nov 10, 2017
Hunter Legend 260 Epidavros
Not rated for the US version but in Europe his 4WD version with the diesel engine is rated for 5,300#. The rating systems differ with ours taking into consideration higher road speeds, higher liability and product warranty concerns.
Thank you for clearing this issue up. I thought I was coming from a different planet with this . . . . and my X3 was built on your side of the pond !!

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
The question I am asking you towing experts, what are your thoughts to how I will go on with towing?
I have a BMW X3 which is plated at a train weight of 2400kgs (5300lbs). My twin axle'd trailer weighs 500kgs (1100lbs)
Cheers for replies in anticipation.
My dad has an X3 xDrive35i (6 cylinder twin turbo) and he regularly tows a 20' Car-Mate fully enclosed dual axle car hauling trailer most often with one of his antique Porsche 356's inside it.. His X3 has towed this trailer/car combination back and forth between his home in Oro Valley, Arizona to his home in Freeport, ME at least five times now.

I was extremely skeptical at first, when he got rid of the F250 and he went to one daily driver/towing vehicle, but after driving his X3 cross country, with the enclosed trailer and a 356 inside it, I was quite impressed with it's capabilities. You barely know the trailer is even there unless it's pretty windy.

Some observations and thoughts:
  • In heavy wind his huge trailer can really toss the X3 around but this is a huge boxy trailer. It is a bit worse than his old F250 Super Duty but nowhere near as much as I would have assumed.
  • Do not use "auto-mode" on the transmission or it will continually "hunt" for gearing. Use manual shift mode. On the highway he runs it in manual 6th gear not 7th. (his is a 7 speed auto)
  • On secondary roads he usually maxes in 5th gear
  • When towing he always manually shifts the transmission to prevent gear hunting.
  • Do change transmission fluid regularly, last time I asked he has done it 5X (after each cross country trip) in 40k miles
  • DO USE electric trailer brakes
  • DO USE mirror extensions
  • DO USE a load leveler/anti-sway hitch system
  • DO DRIVE CAUTIOUSLY and always give yourself plenty of time to stop