Fluxgate Compass

Apr 12, 2007
Hunter H49 la romana dominican republic
Hello.

Does anybody knows where the Fluxgate Compass is located in a Hunter 49 ?

Miguel

Apr 12, 2007
Hunter H49 la romana dominican republic
Under the bed in the Port aft cabin there is a Diesel tank and in the starboard aft cabin is the aft a/c unit.....

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Under the bed in the Port aft cabin there is a Diesel tank and in the starboard aft cabin is the aft a/c unit.....
The "gardener did it with a rake".

Seriously though, the dealer or previous owner probably installed it and it could be just about anywhere. You'll probably just have to search around till you find it. If its a Raymarine older unit its probably a black thing about the size of a baseball with wires coming out of it. If its a newer one it looks more like a white "ufo". It might be helpful to google the particular autopilot you have to see if you can find a picture. Concentrate your search away from large chunks of metal (like the engine) and ideally along the center line or nearly so. If they installed it correctly is will be somewhere close to the center line and away from iron objects that interfere with its operation. Good luck and let us know.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
On my 50 it's under the floor in the forward cabin port side about a foot aft of the bed. I purchased a new fluxgate, but have not yet installed. My chart plotter stopped being able to show "heads up" direction correctly.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 49 Mystic CT
there is a Water Maker under the seat under the TV....
I don't have a watermaker I actually had to move my compass because it was to close to that forward battery. Every time I used an electric winch, my autopilot did a "crazy ivan"

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I don't have a watermaker I actually had to move my compass because it was to close to that forward battery. Every time I used an electric winch, my autopilot did a "crazy ivan"
If you have spaces under some of the teak and holly sole pieces, check there. I put mine under the sole aft of the V-berth in the forward cabin. Keeps it out of the way, dry, on or near the center line and generally away from iron objects. - UNLESS - I once set a big bag of tools on top of the cabin sole above my newly re-positioned fluxgate. I had just gone through a bridge (I never use it when in tight maneuvering space) and reset the autopilot to hold heading to go below for a second. When I did that it did a 90 degree turn. :yikes: Re-enforced my practice of not using it in tight quarters!

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
In my quest, I found mine on Port Side Aft Cabin stowage.
But...
Someone offered me a very clever idea on how to find it.

Use a iron pipe as a "mine detector" and sweep/look very slowly while someone watches the flux compass display. As you get closer with the pipe, the flux compass will respond to the iron interference.

Good Hunting...
Jim..

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
James's suggestion is very good.
I did something similar by accident. While cruising through Canada's Gulf Islands, I stepped into the salon letting the AutoPilot manage the helm tracking straight and true. Sorting out some things in the salon, I put the boom box on top of the cabinet holding the AP compass. My boat immediately did a crazy Ivan. As I started to fly past the cabinet I grabbed the boom box. The boat straightened out on the new heading (110 degrees off course). Seems the speaker magnets and the AP compass system are not compatible.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Can I humbly suggest that on a boat that you own or regularly sail on, that there should be NO AREA of the boat that you are not familiar with, that you know were everything is, where all thru hulls are, where every major bit of plumbing is, there is no component or 'box' that is of unknown function?

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
Can I humbly suggest that on a boat that you own or regularly sail on, that there should be NO AREA of the boat that you are not familiar with, that you know were everything is, where all thru hulls are, where every major bit of plumbing is, there is no component or 'box' that is of unknown function?
I think that is the greatest suggestion I've seen on here!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
+1 to Jack. If only EVERYONE knew their boats.... Friend bought an IP38. He put on new sheets and I don't know what all. THEN he went through the boat's cubbyholes and found... brand new sheets the previous (deceased) owner had bought. And spares, and...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
letting the AutoPilot manage the helm tracking straight and true.
What?!!
You left no Weatherdeck watch? Relying on a fancy gadget?
Sorry I couldn't resist...
Note: https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/the-circle.189131/ :)
"Standing and scanning th horizon at least every 15 minutes"

Jim...

PS: That is the reason I began to look for my Flux compass. Believe or not, it was near where the Admiral had just stowed canned beverages. It doesn't just take Iron to mess it up, bulk of liquids do too.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I think that is what the OP is doing, by asking.;)
Well maybe. But 99% of these questions come from a casual look after it fails.

Otherwise if would be already known and found, as part of the sweep of all parts of the boat.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Believe or not, it was near where the Admiral had just stowed canned beverages. It doesn't just take Iron to mess it up, bulk of liquids do too.
Cans... metal, right? I don't think it has to be "iron".