1978 Catalina 30

Nov 5, 2017
CAL 35 San Carlos
I am looking at purchasing a 1978 boat. I am having a general survey, engine survey and rigging survey done and the boat will be pulled out of the water to check the keel etc. I will not have a sea trial before buying as I will save several thousand by not having the seller travel to Mx but will have someone familiar with the boat show me its ins and outs should I close on the sale.
While it has been several years since I have been sailing,from poking around the boat, rigging etc, it seems that it is fairy easy to come up to speed with the systems etc particularly as I will use the boat purely for day sailing.
Any comments about this approach would be most appreciated.
Also, from reading various forums it seems that the major potential issues to be aware of are: the Catalina smile issue, mast step compression, keel bolt condition, and the chainplates. Any other comments would be most welcomed.
Thank you very much

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
Does not seem reasonable that you can get boat pulled and surveyed without seller, but you can't sail it.

Nov 5, 2017
CAL 35 San Carlos
many thanks
Due the great distance/expense the sellers have to travel down here people very rarely do sea trials as all trials are done with the owners. The trade off is this enable most boats to go for several thousand less than asking price. I will try and find someone who can take me out recognizing all of the liability issues et al.
thank you again

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
How about putting some funds in escrow till you can sail the boat. Then if anything is not as the seller has stated it can be identified and the funds can cover the costs. If you are happy after sailing the boat then the escrow distributes the funds to the seller. Not sure of the boat value. This may be overkill if you are getting a steal on the boat because it is MX.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I looked for a boat in San Carlos. Are you looking at "La Paloma". It has an Aluminum Fuel Tank. A 1983 boat may have developed pin hole leaks. I would look carefully at the area under the fuel tank and the bilge.

Nov 5, 2017
CAL 35 San Carlos
Thanks
No, that boat is in la Paz. This is a 1978 and has a plastic tank but I will have the surveyor look carefully at this

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
Guys. Its a Catalina 30. 1000s have been made. What could you learn from sailing one that you could not learn from reading??
Jack, you sail tons of other peoples boats to help them with setup. If makes are all the same, why do you do this?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Jack, you sail tons of other peoples boats to help them with setup. If makes are all the same, why do you do this?
;^)

Different boats are of course different.

I'm saying that all Catalina 30s are going to sail pretty much the same. And its sailing habits have been documented by many people of all abilities. Read, and its VERY unlikely you would get on one and find it not what you expected. Any potential mechanical issues should be discoverable with a good inspection.

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
i agree with the escrow comment. I did that myself on my current boat... it was bought mid winter on the hard and i had $2000 kept in escrow until the engine ran for an hour on the water..

Jan 25, 2018
Catalina 30 Bristol
I don't see the issue also as long as you were confident in the survey. Especially if it saves you a considerable amount of money. I bought my boat this way. I was a little nervous she would take on water when first launched. But his is already in the water so that shouldn't be an issue.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Unless it's been done recently, it's highly likely that the toilet and sanitation hoses will have to be replaced and maybe a holding tank added too if there is none. Fresh water pump and bilge pumps too. 'cuz rubber parts in pumps dry out and become hard and brittle when left sitting dry for extended periods. Same can be said for winches, seacocks and anything with moving parts that need lubrication but haven't had any. Surveyors often only note that the boat has 'em, not how well they work. Depending on age and original quality, just rebuilding 'em may not even be possible. Likely expenses you can use as bargaining chips in the sale price.

Jul 22, 2011
Mariner Yacht Co.(NH) Mariner 28 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Google "Buying a Catalina 30". There are all kinds of threads on what to look for, reviews etc, etc.
Catalina is very supportive of the 30 community, and a call to them will get you all sorts of great information. The guys who are on the parts line used to build them, so they know the boats. I believe the 78 had wooden spreaders, so that is one of the first things to look for.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things.

I agree, that sailing it isn't all that important, for the reason already given. And, because as you've said you really haven't sailed much in a while, you may not get much out of it unless you brought a sailing buddy.

It would be nice, however, to have a sea trial under power and check overall performance, vibration, etc.. But, with the boat being remotely located, I see why that's not going to happen. Not a deal breaker if the boat is where you want it and the price is right.

Good luck to you.