Battery problems/questions?

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
I ran another conduit next to the two factory conduits. At the time I was considering putting an inverter charger on but ended up going with separate units based on Mainesail's advice based on the redundancy of having two separate units. In hindsight I would do a combined unit. I gave up 1/3 of the settee locker next to the batteries for the inverter to get it to not have too much voltage loss. The inverter charger unit would have mounted in the back and would have saved space. Cruise small requires some sacrifices and that is one I wish I did different.
Interesting. Our 2000 310 has three conduits installed. Still tough getting everything to fit! Makes me think that adding a fourth might be a good idea.

Attachments

Nov 16, 2012
Interesting. And I have two thruhulls there.
That’s the (now unused) head intake. I’ll bet your shower/reefer drain pumps out the other thru hull, while ours is under the galley sink. Not sure why they made the changes, or if one is any better than the other.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
That’s the (now unused) head intake. I’ll bet your shower/reefer drain pumps out the other thru hull, while ours is under the galley sink. Not sure why they made the changes, or if one is any better than the other.
Nope. Our head intake, now used for our watermaker, and the macerator outflow.

Dec 16, 2011
Catalina 310 Atlantic Highlands
Same here...Hull #48. I have the Macerator outflow and the head intake both there. I'd have to check the conduits...can't remember what I've got. Maybe I'll check on Sunday when I take the mast down for the winter.

Nov 16, 2012
Same here...Hull #48. I have the Macerator outflow and the head intake both there. I'd have to check the conduits...can't remember what I've got. Maybe I'll check on Sunday when I take the mast down for the winter.
Sorry to hear about the mast down. We're hoping for a nice post frontal sail on Sunday.

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
Catalina 310 323 Middle River, Md
Down at the boat checking out the battery system. Two new in 7/17 interstate deep cycle marine/rv, SRM 4D, 1314cca, nothing about ah.

The charger is a Charles 20amp. The wires from the charger to the battery are 10 awg, there is a ktk 30amp in-line fuse on each positive leg.

There is a 1000w inverter in the port settee wired to the main panel with a transfer switch, that powers all 110vt outlets and microwave. That is powered by one battery directly through a 100 amp breaker.

There is a 400w inverter in the port cabinet in the v birth wired directly to one battery through a 40amp breaker.

So that’s my system, good, bad, ugly?

Thanks, Mike

Attachments

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Mike,

The first thing that jumps out at me is what appears to be a burn on the main feeder wire near a small inline fuse.

While the batteries you have are labeled deep cycle, they aren't. They are truck starting batteries. And they are back breakers. About 140 pounds each. They are about 185 amp hours each new but will quickly decrease from there with the under sized, "dumb" egg timer charger that doesn't have the ability to equalize. Like I said in a previous reply many other owners have switched to four 6v golf cart batteries instead of these beasts. Mainesail has a great article on his site on deep cycle batteries. Oh, and the batteries are oriented incorrectly shortening their life and possible acid spills.

I guess the 400 watt inverter is to lower the draw while using a TV. Not really needed. Many of the 22 inch flat screens on the market are actually run on 12 volt with an inverter built into the plug. We have a Super Sonic from Amazon and I cut the wires and wired it directly into the breaker panel. It's redundant and could be eliminated.

The 1000 watt inverter seems a little small. Trying putting a load on it and see what happens. Like using a heat gun. I have a 2k watt and find it small at times.

It's a pretty standard system for the 310.

Last edited:

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
I seen the burn mark as well. Just on the surface. Not sure if a fuse blew or if it was done while heat shrinking the fuse holder.

Maybe it’s hard to tell but the batterys run bow to stern the long way. I searched mainesails site and according to what I read that is the proper orientation for 4D batteries.

Mike

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Maybe it’s hard to tell but the batterys run bow to stern the long way. I searched mainesails site and according to what I read that is the proper orientation for 4D batteries.
Good. I was basing that comment on the factory setup but it sounds like someone already fixed that.

It's not a bad setup. Just can be improved. I would. Still recommend not doing much in the first year. Spend some time with the boat to see what you would like and what you would change. (Except the charger, I would do that before next year.)

We have owed the boat for 8 years, lived aboard for about 5 and been in the Caribbean for a bout 2 years. I still haven't decided on the best options for certain things. And that's just for us. Everyone has different wants and needs.

Good luck.

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
Yeah not changing the batteries, just upgrading the charger. And maybe add a battery monitor.

Mike

Nov 16, 2012
Yeah not changing the batteries, just upgrading the charger. And maybe add a battery monitor.

Mike
I've got both the Balmar smart gauge and the Victron monitor. Maybe it's excessive, but I like having both. The Victron is good for monitoring loads (the shunt, installed properly, measure amps being used), but the Balmar does much better at telling you the state of the battery. If you had to pick one, and you're mostly at the dock plugged into AC, the Victron probably makes more sense.

Nov 16, 2012
Thanks for all the advise. Talked with Mainesails today, upgrades are ordered.
Nice. Keep us posted on your progress and enjoy the boat.

With reports of lots of blue whales in Monterey Bay we sailed about 4 miles out of Santa Cruz yesterday, but didn’t see any of them. Still was a nice sail, 12-18 kts, beam reach both ways. We’re so lucky to be able to sail year round. That’s something to be thankful for!

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
Down at the boat working on the charger.

Got the volt meter installed last night.
Rob said keep it close to the batteries so I mounted on the side of the battery compartment facing the galley.

Rob told me what numbers to use for the charge rate, but I’m not sure if I have sealed lead acid or AGM Batteries, probably an open lead acid? Seems that makes a difference in which profile I pick. Just want be sure and not screw anything up.

These are interstate 4D batteries with removable caps. I just topped off the water last night.

Thanks, Mike

Attachments

Last edited:

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
Reading the instructions it looks like I am supposed to ground the unit. Any suggestions on wire size and where to attach the other end?

It says in the instructions that the three grounds end up at the same place. Wondering if I can just attach the chassis ground on the charger to the DC output ground? I’m no electrician but it seems a ground is a ground

The charger is a sterling 20 if that matters.

Thanks, Mike

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Mike, Question-Why the Blue Sea voltmeter model 1733 instead of the Blue Sea multimeter model 1834?
Besides the cost difference.