Veterans Day Cruise - 2017

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Sail plan was to spend a few days on an Eagle Harbor mooring just to enjoy a late fall long weekend. Checked the BNSF work schedule on the swinging bridge fencing/cribbing repair, only to find out the work is complete, so no more closures.

Getting underway heading north through Swinomish Channel against a very light NW breeze, but an ebbing current, make good headway to Eagle harbor early in the day. Two other boats occupy a total of fifteen available. I snatch the one I prefer (older style flat mooring) as opposed to the larger tall new ones that bang against the hull all hours of the night.

Settle in for a relaxing remainder of the day doing odd small jobs around the boat. Nice quiet evening of some music and a movie. Spaghetti for dinner chased with some November vintage Fanzia box wine.

Saturday after breakfast I check on the forecast for Sunday and weather has a sinister edge to it. Small craft warning winds and rain arriving late Saturday and into Sunday. Do I ride it our here or somewhere else? Somewhere else is Anacortes Yacht Club. So I catch what is left of the flood down Bellingham Channel and through Guemes Channel to the reciprocal dock. Wind has picked up considerably by the time I arrive, but there is space for our boat.

Kick on the heat pump once I get hooked up to power and settle in for the night. Wind really howls during the night with some fetch against the boat's port beam due to the strong SE blow.

Next morning I catch a lull in the wind gusts to cast off from the dock and head for Shelter Bay. Had hopes of some sail time but strong wind on the nose all the way down the channel followed by a down pour. Interesting though by the time I reach Laconner, the wind eases, rain stops, skies open up for our arrival.

Water is still on at the Shelter Bay pump out station, then over to our slip to secure Belle-Vie for awhile. Thanksgiving is coming up, maybe, just maybe the admiral will want to spend it away on the water somewhere. Sure hope so.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Nice Terry. Wish I was still going out too but I'm getting some changes made to the boat this winter and planning next summer already. Has you're flotilla made any plans for next summer yet?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sounds like a happy time. Weather sure did like your home coming.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Status - new engine is in and wired/plumbed etc. I'm down to the installation of the ACR and galvanic isolator. The prop needs pitch adjustment. We also installed new cabin windows and rebedded the opening ports. So far no leaks! It's going to take a few days just to clean! We're talking about Princess Louisa/sunshine coast/and into Desolation probably in June and mess around getting back end of July. Havent been there in ~25 yrs. Maybe we can get into Isabel Cove...

Jan 5, 2017
Sounds like you've been very busy this fall Mark! Almost a new boat. We tend to go further north for July, get away from the maddening crowd. I think we will go up the mainland side this year, maybe as far as the mid-coast then the west coast of the island again. Really enjoyed the west coast last year.

Dec 25, 2000
Has you're flotilla made any plans for next summer yet?
One suggestion that I made and got a positive response was Nakwakto Rapids. Been by it a number of times, but never ventured in. We'll see.

Jan 5, 2017
One suggestion that I made and got a positive response was Naquatco Rapids. Been by it a number of times, but never ventured in. We'll see.
We've been thinking about that too! Won't go as far as last year but will go slower and smell the roses.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
You got it! Tuck yourself in between Gifford Peninsula and Madge Is. Anchor and politely take a stern line to shore. Nice place to swim, burn garbage, etc. At least 25 yrs ago...

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
We're doing this in June so hopefully not "to" crowded..or is it "too"? Planning on Victoria in August for "Splash". Big city party by the Empress with the Victoria Symphony out on a barge in the harbor along some other venues. Everyone takes dinghies, kayaks etc and floats in front of the barge. Being a symphonic clarinetist, its sorta cool!

Oct 22, 2014
Victoria in August, Music, sounds like a perfect Sumer experience. I was there this last July and we had a wonderful time.

Dec 25, 2000
Won't go as far as last year but will go slower and smell the roses.
Hi Michael, that is what I've enjoyed about cruising with our little flotilla. Two very important decisions that we try to make every day with little success while out; 1) Whose turn is it to serve skipper's night? 2) Shall we stay another day? We also try to plan our next anchorage maybe ten miles away or less. Does not always work in PNW waters, but we strive for that.

Oct 22, 2014
Yes Terry, I could not find it using the Mapcarta sight. Resorted to google maps to get close.

Oct 22, 2014
Calling it Isabel Bay/Cove may be a local thing. Like calling Gedney Island = Hat Island in the sound outside of Port Everett.

Jan 5, 2017
It's called Isabel Bay on the chart. Polly is the smaller of the two islands.