Alternate Waterproof Grease for Maxprop

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I’ve been trying to remember where I saw the PYI grease and gun. We haven’t shopped too many places other than Walmart for marine items, but we did stop in two marina’s that had well stocked ship stores. I want to mention though using the PYI grease gun is frustrating. The plastic tube doesn’t always seal tight so it takes many pumps to get the grease to flow. I’ve even rolled the tube forcing the grease into the pump. I’ve also squeezed the air out of the tube before connecting to the pump so it would flow better. Not my idea of a good working tool.

All U Get

Nov 12, 2009
J/ 32 NCYC, Western Lake Erie
I put the Lubriplate grease into one of those small grease guns that take the mini cartridges. Works much better than the pump on the tube - probably cheaper too.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
New boat with lots to learn, sorry if I'm redundant. this is a timely post as I have a Max Prop and ordered the kit from Amazon as suggested. I also have the Volvo shaft seal that as I understand need to be greased at the start of the season. Seeing this is a salt water grease could it be used with the seal? I've tried to search prop shaft grease but only come up with Volvo's own. Another thought, I bought a Dupont Teflon white lithium aerosol can from McMaster Carr that has a straw that I use to do my thru hulls and the straw is small enough to pinch under the seal. This is the description"
Formulated to adhere to metal parts and reduce corrosion, this grease resists washing off in wet environments. It's commonly found in the pulp and paper and water management industries. Synthetic-oil-based grease lasts longer than mineral-oil-based grease. Grease with lithium thickener has good heat resistance. Grease with PTFE and grease with Teflon® fluoropolymer have small particles of PTFE that reduce friction and help the grease maintain its lubricity.

Appreciate any advise.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I put the Lubriplate grease into one of those small grease guns that take the mini cartridges. Works much better than the pump on the tube - probably cheaper too.
I thought of that. How did you do it? I can't find small cartridges of 130-AA. I thought I'd squeeze the 10 oz. tube into a mini grease gun, but I'd need an empty grease cartridge, and then to clean the empty cartridge and gun first.

Nov 12, 2009
I did this several years ago so I don't remember for a fact, but I think I just squeezed the plastic tube into the gun, and not into an empty cartridge. Most grease guns can be filled with bulk grease. You might need to figure a way to hold the plunger out while you squeeze the grease from the plastic container.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I doubt it works. The Max-Prop manual calls for pulling grub screws and replacing with zerks, and pumping grease in while manipulating the blades 'til grease oozes out of the hub. Would be impossible to do with a plastic syringe, I think.
I've been using the syringe method for 7 years now. Works just fine.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
How do you "connect" it to the port for the grease? Just press it in?

Nov 12, 2009
Unscrew two metric Allen set screws on the main hub, screw in Zerk fitting, pump in grease while spinning hub and blades. I unscrew and fill one at a time so grease doesn't come out second open hole. You need to be careful you don't drop the set screws or Zerk fitting as they're quite small, and slippery from the grease.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
How do you "connect" it to the port for the grease? Just press it in?

The syringe I have had quite a point on it. I cut the point off at the spot where it is approximately the size of the grease opening when you've removed the plug.
I fill the Syringe from the grease tube. Then press and hold it tightly in the opening. Press down on the plunger and rotate the prop back and forth slightly. The grease will ooze out forcing any water ahead of it.

Do one grease point at a time. Takes maybe 5 minutes total.

I learned the technique from the guys in our marina yard. They said it was so much faster than unscrewing the plugs, threading in the zercs, squirting the grease, removing the zercs and threading the plugs back in.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
The syringe I have had quite a point on it. I cut the point off at the spot where it is approximately the size of the grease opening when you've removed the plug.
I fill the Syringe from the grease tube. Then press and hold it tightly in the opening. Press down on the plunger and rotate the prop back and forth slightly. The grease will ooze out forcing any water ahead of it.

Do one grease point at a time. Takes maybe 5 minutes total.

I learned the technique from the guys in our marina yard. They said it was so much faster than unscrewing the plugs, threading in the zercs, squirting the grease, removing the zercs and threading the plugs back in.
That's brilliant, thanks very much. I feel stupid now, for having ordered the kit with the grease gun that others say is useless. $35 for the kit, a tube of that grease can be had for $11. Doh!

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
That's brilliant, thanks very much. I feel stupid now, for having ordered the kit with the grease gun that others say is useless. $35 for the kit, a tube of that grease can be had for $11. Doh!
Oh don't beat yourself up. It happens. You do have a nice grease gun now.
I'd likely have gone the same route if the yard guy hadn't clued me in.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Oh don't beat yourself up. It happens. You do have a nice grease gun now.
I'd likely have gone the same route if the yard guy hadn't clued me in.
You might have posted that idea before, that’s where I heard it,

All U Get

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Thanks. I kinda regret not just buying the proper grease, and cleaning out one of my mini grease guns, etc. But, I really don't need another project! I hope the gun in the kit will work O.K. It's weird that they don't supply this stuff in cartridges.