Hull stripe tape

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Has anyone replaced their hull stripe tape? Where did you buy it, and what process did you use for taking off the old and putting on the new? Any tips? We've got a few sections where it's been scraped off, and it's another project on my never ending, always growing, project list.

Jun 16, 2011
Catalina 350 Rock hall
We ordered replacement tape for our 05 350 from Catalina direct it comes all three stripes together. I’ have not installed yet but should be like all vinyl stripes I’ll let you know how it goes

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
You can order any ot the striping tapes used in the last 25 years from the Catalina factory parts department. I was down there a few weeks ago and saw them all on a shelf. Their prices are quite reasonable, as well.

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
Just ordered this to change my boat stripe and lettering.
I hadn't heard of it but the reviews say it's the greatest!

3M Stripe Off Wheel 07498, 4" Diameter x 5/8" Width, 3/8" Mandrel

upload_2017-11-14_12-12-19.png

Nov 16, 2012
Just ordered this to change my boat stripe and lettering.
I hadn't heard of it but the reviews say it's the greatest!

3M Stripe Off Wheel 07498, 4" Diameter x 5/8" Width, 3/8" Mandrel

View attachment 143685
I used something like that to remove an old boat name on a previous boat. Worked pretty good to remove the vinyl, but the gelcoat still showed a slight color difference; not surprising.

Nov 16, 2012
You can order any ot the striping tapes used in the last 25 years from the Catalina factory parts department. I was down there a few weeks ago and saw them all on a shelf. Their prices are quite reasonable, as well.
They don't have what's on our boat, although they've got something close (3 stripes, so I need to cut one off). Turns out that Catalina Direct has the right stuff at the best price.

May 25, 2004
Catalina 400 mkII Harbor
i used a wallpaper remover steamer, it made quick and clean work of it. others have posted they used heat gun.
i bought mine direct from catalina

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I replaced them on my last boat, but after I took them off this one I decided I liked it just as well without. Wear eye protection with that eraser wheel, I was using one on the wife's Honda a couple weeks ago and it exploded in half and just about took my nose off.

Attachments

Jun 16, 2011
Catalina 350 Rock hall
Those wheels work great but they don’t last all that long for the price.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
When I replaced my stripe I think I used a scraper but the big problem was putting the new
stripe back on straight and maybe some one has a good idea.
After I looked back after putting the new strip it looked wavy so how best did you do it.
Nick

Jan 8, 2015
Those wheels work great but they don’t last all that long for the price.
How many wheels would you think it would take to get the previous name off of both sides of this boat?
Stern.jpg

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Thank goodness they did not put the name on the STERN also!
I am not so sure I would have the patience!

Jan 8, 2015
Would I be better off with a heat gun and a plastic scraper?

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
When I replaced my stripe I think I used a scraper but the big problem was putting the new
stripe back on straight and maybe some one has a good idea.
After I looked back after putting the new strip it looked wavy so how best did you do it.
Nick
Nick, I replaced the 12 ft teak eyebrow trim on my h30 with a 1" stripe from SBO. I first ran a strip of 1" painters tape 12 ft long stretching the tape out 3,4 or 5 feet at a time so I could get the line straight. I just peeled it up when I got it crooked and straightened it. Wider tape helps keep longer runs straight. Then I applied the vinyl stripe, carefully placing it along the top edge of the tape as a guide.

For large decals, like names, you would make you tape line first, then wet the boat with a mix of a bucket of water with a few drops of dish soap in it. This allows the adhesive to slide on the surface and to be positioned exactly, then use a rubber or plastic squeegee to squeeze out the water from under the decal. I like rubber because it's less likely to mark the decal or stripe. Wetting the top of the decal with the soapy water helps the squeegee slide on the decal. Work from middle out, working out air bubbles. A tiny pin hole in a small air bubble can help get trapped air out.

BTW, soapy water is how those large fake wood grain decals were applied to the sides of station wagons in the '70s. A detailer would come to the body shop I worked at and hand paint pin stripes or apply wood grain decals. I saw somewhere recently that painters were using a laser level to mark a boot stripe. That's cool. The painter followed the laser line with tape. I don't recall how they marked each end to get it parallel to the waterline. Dan