"Anti-Osmosis Protection Paint"

Apr 14, 2010
Jeanneau 42DS Larnaca Marina
Looking to buy a 7 year old 42' Jeanneau Sun Odyssey. One of the comments in the listing is "Anti-osmosis protection paints applied February 2017." I never heard of an anti-osmosis paint!!! I know of anti-osmosis epoxy barrier coat after removing all paint and sanding gelcoat...but not just paint over paint. Does anyone know if this makes sense and whether It should ring a bell about blister problems?
I will contact the broker and ask but I need to be prepared for whatever explanation he gives me. I suspect he will tell me "not to worry...everything is fine"...But if it doesn't make sense...it cannot be good. Thanks.
Lee

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I would assume it's a fashionable way of describing barrier coat but there are people here more familiar with some of the current advertising jargon.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Sounds dubious. I wonder how many snakes were sacrificed in pressing out the oil?
:)

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
I would assume it's a fashionable way of describing barrier coat but there are people here more familiar with some of the current advertising jargon.
I agree. Sounds like epoxy barrier coat. It may indicate there were blister issues or it may just be good preventative maintenance. As always, you should get a thorough marine survey before making an offer.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@FastOlson
Did you mean snake oil? As for the actual snakes particularly the cotton mouth, I use to carry Mr. Cotton Mouth which was a 12 gauge sawed off shotgun for protection in certain areas I had to go to in N C as a dealer. Once diving under a Hunter 38 for the third time finding no warranty issue other than to report to the owner he went out of channel again scraping a little paint off not warranty related, I was swimming back to the dock ladder when the marina operator came running with a shot gun to get out. As it turned out a very large cotton mouth was berthed in the slip next to that boat. I saw the remains and it was the largest I had ever seen and by the Grace of God I am still alive.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Most marine bottom paints are not semi-permeable, so therefore anti-osmosis. Epoxy is among those type paints.

I think my paint was anti-slime, anti-snake and anti-shark combined.:waycool:
Jim...

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@justsomeguy
If that snake had bitten me, well I could not give Kermit a hard time plus you as well. It was that big and very much surprised as not as aggressive as others.

@JamesG161
I got the perfect paint. No paint as no boat except for the one boat being pulled by a car in the 160th scale as in N scale model railroading.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
If that snake had bitten me, well I could not give Kermit a hard time plus you as well. It was that big and very much surprised as not as aggressive as others.
We probably wouldn't have noticed a difference in the timeline. :biggrin:
All lives matter.