Ed Schenck - Tragic bicycle accident, we lose one of our own

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Terrible news. My prayers and thoughts for his family.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I am so sorry to hear about his passing.
I had a similar accident on my own bicycle about 10 years ago and have suffered headaches from it ever since. Had I been even the 54 years old that I am today, when it happened, I'm sure I wouldn't have survived it either.
-Will (Dragonfly)

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Tragic impact on his family to have something like this happen. We will keep him and his family in our prayers. So sad.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I am so sad to hear Ed’s passing and had the pleasure of taking
Ed sailing on my sailboat years back and always enjoyed to see his post here.
Nick

Bob R.

Jun 5, 2004
Marlow-Hunter 40 Pasadena, MD
I remember seeing some of Ed's posts on the forum and his reply's to mine. He was a knowledable sailor. The account of his bicycle accident hit close to home. I am a avid rider, 15-20 miles/day, 4-5 days/wk. At the end of August on my morning ride on a bike path I rode almost every day, I rounded a corner and hit a light pole that a car accident the night before had knock down across the path. The impact threw me over the handlebar with my face hitting the pavement. I lost 3 front teeth. My helmet probably saved my life. I'll remember Ed.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
I am so sorry to hear about Ed's passing. He contributed a lot to the forums over the years.

Regarding bicycles, I ride every Mon, Wed, Thurs (for 16 years). I ran into a steel post in May and cracked my pelvis in two places. It completely healed in 10 weeks. I guess I am luckier than I thought. At 67 I'm in denial about mortality apparently. Riding really helps me stay fit so it is a hard habit to give up. I'm sure Ed was doing what he loved. Condolences to his family.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
This planet Earth needs all the Angels the Good Lord can gather. Here's hoping Ed can make a difference there, too.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
He was good guy. I remember his postings and the fact that he liked to ride bikes. May he rest in peace.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
My deepest condolences to all his family and loved ones including all here on the SBO forum. He will sorely be missed.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
What a shame, very, very nice man. Like so many others here, he was part of "our own little family." Condolences to his family.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I'm so saddened to hear this. Ed really enjoyed helping others and was a true SBO family member which was reflected in his kindness and postings.. I honestly had no idea he was 75!!

Ed's last post here was Friday of last week and he last checked in on Sunday morning at 9:20 am when "liked " a response post by jssailem.

Ed was always polite & helpful and was certainly noticed and will certainly be missed here.

May the winds be great where ever you are my friend!

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Now cracks a noble heart.—Good night, sweet prince,
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
What a shame, very, very nice man. Like so many others here, he was part of "our own little family." Condolences to his family.
This little family of ours is touched by so many people and it is sad to lose one of our own. I wonder if it would be appropriate to have an "In Memorium" section that notes the passing of our members when it becomes known. There is a section in my high school class web page that does this, where people leave comments and memories of our classmates whom have passed and they are always very respectful.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
It's tragic and it brings the reality of how vulnerable we really are. To be riding at 75 shows you how he enjoyed life. I've often wondered when a familiar name stops posting how they may be. (Ross, RichH, Sailingdog) This is truly an amazing forum and we'll miss him.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
This little family of ours is touched by so many people and it is sad to lose one of our own. I wonder if it would be appropriate to have an "In Memorium" section that notes the passing of our members when it becomes known. There is a section in my high school class web page that does this, where people leave comments and memories of our classmates whom have passed and they are always very respectful.
Great idea. Our club has a traditional Blessing of the Fleet every year and we begin with recognizing past members who have left this earth. Names are called out and a bell is rung.

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
I am very sad to read this news. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

Matt