Covering boat for winter

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I assume everyone knows this but if your boom is open ended birds will nest in it by mid-March, around here. So while you're using those dish scrubbers, plug the end(s) of the boom. I've even had birds try to nest in the flakes of the main sail in the early season. They weren't too happy about Wed PM sailing!

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Great cover Tom but that picture with all the snow on the ground is really depressing. :(

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I assume everyone knows this but if your boom is open ended birds will nest in it by mid-March, around here. So while you're using those dish scrubbers, plug the end(s) of the boom. I've even had birds try to nest in the flakes of the main sail in the early season. They weren't too happy about Wed PM sailing!
A few weeks ago I was helping out at my marina when we unstepped a mast. When the mast came up, all kinds of straw and debris fell out, obviously a bird a built a nest in the mast. Then the dead bird fell out. A full grown bird of undetermined species. :(

Closing up the end of the mast and/or boom is a good idea.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Great cover Tom but that picture with all the snow on the ground is really depressing. :(
It is, Rick,...but it's even more depressing when the snow, which turns to ice, stays on your cover. :)
Cover failed frame polyE3 2.jpg
Cover colapsed shrinkE22.jpg

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
but it's even more depressing when the snow, which turns to ice, stays on your cover. :)
That snow turning to ice can weigh a lot. 500 -1000 kg (double that in lb). It is really worth its while to visit your boat after any major snow fall. This applies regardless if you cover or not. probably even more so, if you don't. You can easily accumulate a ton of ice in the cockpit.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Many masts have holes big enough to admit birds. Mine was a mess when we unstopped 3 years ago. Had custom plates built for the masthead shrouds, preventing reoccurrence. My rigger was in the process of replacing a mast which had split at the base - the weep holes were plugged with mud and dung and the mast had held water - freezing, and splitting the base. $25k FUBAR.

If it took me two days to cobble together some kind of tarp cover and another few hours every month to lash the Rube Goldberg arrangement back down I would consider $650 - $800 for a shrink wrap money well spent. That said, this year will be the first time I have wrapped the boat in 10 years.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
I have to confess I've been shrinking wrapping every year and I feel a little guilty dragging all that plastic to the recycle bin in April. However, in the fall, when I tend to stretch my sailing season as late as possible, I see people in the yacht yard assembling frames and fighting with tarps on blustery cold November days and think to myself I'm really glad I don't have to deal with that.

When I retire and can choose any day of the week to cover the boat myself maybe I'll switch to a custom cover and save some money. For now though, the shrink wrap service is worth the $650 to me.

Last edited:

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
I have a custom cover: Mast up. The framework couldn't be simpler. Ridge pole (2x6) sets in anchor roller and on a crutch lashed to the mast. The boom topping lift is removed and a crutch for the boom sits against the mainsheet track. One piece and it is a simple task to cover.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
The shrink wrapped boats and custom cover on the right, however, look like they'll weather a hurricane. I don't think I'd like Genie's captain to tie my boat to the dock.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Earlier today a crew finally showed up to deliver and set up another "boat-port" for our most recent acquisition (Vagabond 17 day sailer). now I can toss the last of the #@$% blue tarps for good (as soon as I charge the dead battery in my truck that is :doh:).

P1050759.jpg