Hunter 376 holding tank clogged

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I need a few more details. What exactly is happening when you turn on the macerator...Does it run, but doesn't pull anything out of the tank? Does it start but then shut down? Have you tried to pump out via the deck pumpout fitting?

It may not be a clogged discharge...a blocked tank vent is much more common and would prevent anything from being pulled out...that would also pressurize the system. So...when you flush the toilet, does everything go down without a problem, or does the toilet "burp" and/or back up? If the toilet is a manual toilet, has it gotten harder to pump?

So please describe in detail exactly what happens when you flush and also when you start the macerator pump.

Jul 29, 2013
Hunter Hunter 376 Guayama
Thanks for your response. The macerator runs well, I have clean the tank already and vent was unclogged also. This happened after Hurricane Maria. The boat battled well the hurricane. Also the toilet is also clogged.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
It's sounding like the tank vent is still blocked...which would also account for what seems like a clogged toilet. 'Cuz if air in the tank displaced by incoming waste can't escape out the vent, the tank becomes pressurized...the toilet becomes harder and harder to pump and flushes back up. That will also cause a pumpout or macerator pump to pull a vacuum that won't allow it to pull out more than about a gallon.

Vent blockages, especially on sailboats, typically occur in two locations--the vent thru-hull and the other end of the vent line...both that end of the hose and the vent fitting on the tank. So if you only cleaned out the tank vent thru-hull, you still need to clean out the other end. Open the deck pumpout cap to relieve any pressure before removing the vent line from the fitting.

If that doesn't solve both problems, we may need to arrange a Skype call to explore all this in more detail than is practical in a forum. If so, send me a PM and we'll go from there.

Jul 29, 2013
Hunter Hunter 376 Guayama
Thanks for your assistance. I already open the tank thru the sounder. Air pressure what’s eliminated. When problem stated the tank was pressurized. Internet conection very poor after Hurricane Maria. My phone is 7872487219

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Tried calling but was answered by a recording (woman's voice) in Spanish. Since my Spanish vocabulary is limited to Por Favor, Gracias and Donde la bagno por senoras, it might work better if you call me...I'll give you my number is a private message.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Peggie... you need to expand your vocabulary to include:
Tequila
Tacos
Enchilada
Cerveza

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Btw...we had a good phone conversation (fortunately his English is a LOT better than my Spanish!). All of his problems developed after his boat rode out Maria without damage in a hurricane hole and turned out to be a result of sediment being forced up open thru-hulls (right thing to do in this case) that created multiple problems. This was a new set of circumstances for me...I'll let him post how well my recommended solutions worked out. Hopefully he'll also share some of the photos he sent me.