C22 Goodies... mmm, Daddy Like...

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
A couple Goodies I finally ordered as I finish the major component install.
Other than whatever battery I go with, I think this finishes up the expensive stuff (oh, and a tiller pilot).

First up, Garhauer Boom Vang. I got this because my original standard vang was completely shot, frozen with corrosion. If you take the cost of a new vang tackle (even used) and you add in a boom kicker you'd spend the same money on this. $330 including tax and shipping, arrived in about 10 days from order;
BoomVang.JPG

Sep 8, 2014
Next, Forespar ML2 LED Steaming/Deck Light. This unit is physically tougher and smaller (believe it or not) than the standard Aquas-Singnal unit. I found an on-line store where I got this for $125. Expensive? A little, but it comes with the LED bulbs installed rather than ordering separately from Marine Beam on top of the cost of the Aqua Signal unit. I cannot express enough how much tougher and better built this unit feels in comparison to the Aqua-Signal. I'll post some comparison pics of the two units as I finish the electrical conduit install on the mast.
ForesparML2.JPG

Sep 8, 2014
Note on Rigid Boom Vang.... I discovered that Garhauer sent me the wrong bracket for the mast. The profile does not fit. I'm certain they will remedy this if I return just the bracket. The external width of the C22 mast is about 2.75", my calipers said 2.80" but it was dark at the time, I will check again. Whatever spec Garhauer used was too tight. This is actually a blessing in disguise; I noticed that when I lowered my mast it made contact with and bent the vang tab on my mast step (which I probably won't use anyway). This was an 'ah-ha!' moment, because that would mean the huge tabs on the rigid vang bracket would also hit the deck! So when i return this to Garhauer tomorrow I will as them to make the tabs as short as possible.
Bracket3.JPG

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Not to make you feel bad but the combo light is available from west marine for 88 bucks and free shipping.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
That Forespar light does look head and shoulders better than the Aqua Signal, which I have. I am astonished the AS works at all with NO covering of any kind on the bottom, to protect the deck light and keep moisture and salt spray out of it.

That said, I installed it three and a half years ago and have had zero problems. I did spray the innards thoroughly with Corrosion Block, maybe that has helped.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Do the mounting holes for the ML2 light match with the original Aqua Signal design ?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Sweet. And it's not even Christmas.
I replaced my deck/steaming fixture in the Spring. Better to have LED bulbs and clear lenses. I have a separate boom vang and Boomkicker but I'd rather have the rigid vang setup. Ah well, it came with the boat.