Hunter mast raise suggestion draft for review and suggestions

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I ask only those who currently or have owned Hunter sailboats with supplied mast raising equipment to review and offer any suggestions to the attached draft either here or via forum email. Thank you

Dave Condon

Mainsail, please allow in the two locations as this will be posted on the boat information.

Attachments

Feb 27, 2004
SunTracker 18 DLX PartyBarge Hoover Reservoir - Columbus OH
Having taken these actions a many times I understand the instructions. However there are a few points which may not be clear to new owners.

1) I do suggest doing this in extremely high winds by yourself unless if extremely necessary and if so, I urge extreme caution DO or DO NOT SUGGEST?

2) Untie all lines and attach forestay (if unattached). ATTACH WHICH END TO WHERE?

3) Before pinning the mast to the mast step ADD VANG STRAP AROUND PIN (at least on 19s)

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Good points and will be noted. In addition I will include removal of the furled sail necessary on most furlers except for the FF2 or FF1 CDI which has it's own internal halyard which the decision will be left up to the owner. Gee how we forget little items over time being an old fart now.

Jun 6, 2013
hunter 23.5 soton
I printed a copy to help me in a month when I drop the mast. Used with the Hunter guide maybe I'll be successful.
"Loosen the forestay Turnbuckle and remove forestay from the stemhead." this is after the gin pole/jib halyard/mainsheet so these items are stopping the mast falling backwards?? Playing out the mainsheet/jib lowers the mast?? when do u undo the shrouds??

May 6, 2004
- - Potomac
Following recommendations from this 240 owner:

- Clarify third sentence in document
- Indicate initial forestay attachment is at top of mast and not the deck

Fifth paragraph:
It's best (for me) to attach mainsheet purchase to anchor locker pad eye first, then to gin pole, attach jib halyard to gin pole and THEN put the pole into the mast slot. Also, I think the last word in that paragraph should be "loosen" and not lose.
Excellent advice about using your foot and not your fingers to release the cam cleat under tension!!!
I also recommend, when a furler is in use, that the furling drum be wrapped in a towel with a bungee or piece of line securing the towel. It's easy for someone working alone to lose control of it and damage the deck finish.

My two cents...

May 6, 2004
- - Potomac
I printed a copy to help me in a month when I drop the mast. Used with the Hunter guide maybe I'll be successful.
"Loosen the forestay Turnbuckle and remove forestay from the stemhead." this is after the gin pole/jib halyard/mainsheet so these items are stopping the mast falling backwards?? Playing out the mainsheet/jib lowers the mast?? when do u undo the shrouds??
Yes, reverse order when taking down the mast. You must tension the lines on the mast raising pole before you can loosen and remove the forestay.

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
The basic procedure looks good (with the additional suggestions above)

Here are a few additional tips (for H26) that I find useful but may not be essential to a basic procedure ...

1) when raising; pass the main sheet through the halyard rope clutch. Take up slack between mainsheet clam cleat and the clutch. Now you can pull up on the mainsheet running to the clutch. Once again pull in the slack in this line (at the clutch) and repeat a few times. When raising the mast alone I find this an easy way to get the mast raising started, easier than winching. Once the mast is raised a bit (~ 30 degrees), the rest can be easily achieved by winching in the mainsheet on the starboard winch.

2) tie a line to the furler drum that is long enough to allow the drum to reach the mast step. Hang the furler outboard of the life lines. When raising and lowering the mast, this will prevent the furler from falling onto the ground and or banging around onto the deck.

3) before raising the mast, use elastic shock cords to hold the shroud turnbuckles upright. I usually tie the elastic cord to the life lines. This will prevent the turnbuckles from jamming up on the U-bolts and subsequently bending under the strain

4) if you have a furler it is not really practical to loosen the forestay turnbuckle each time. Once the mast is vertical I bring the main halyard to the bow and tie it off to the pulpit as an extra security to hold up the mast. Then I winch the jib halyard in very tight in order to provide enough slack on the forestay to pin the furler on to the bow strap. I rig the main halyard as a back-up in this manner because I feel that the additional tension required to attach the forestay is the most critical point during the operation which could result in something failing.

May 17, 2017
Hunter H260 Prince George
After looking over and revising the suggestions incorporating of the suggestions, I ask that you look this over and advise. There were some I did not incorporate for reasons of concern but most addressed. @Kermit please review and advise too.
Not sure if you have finalize this yet Dave but I can offer one suggestion from a newbe using a self furler for the first time (and yes I learned this the hard way). In the third paragraph, you may want to add; ensure the external halyard is attached to the internal halyard at the top of the self furler. I got some extra lower and raising practise not remembering this one.

Mar 28, 2011
Hunter 23.5 Lake Telico
Dave, you made a comment on this forum some time ago about the proper position of the shroud turnbuckles prior to mast raising. With the mast stowed for trailering, they point forward. Simply repositioning them to point aft, almost completely prevents them from binding as the shrouds tighten. Since I started doing this, I've never had one bind. I still watch them closely as the mast goes up but have never had fiddle with one because it was starting to bind. Maybe I'm the only one who didn't know this already but if I was using your "mast raising suggestions" the first time I raised my mast, this would be a good thing to know.

Nov 10, 2017
Hunter Legend 260 Epidavros
Having just bought my 260 and was looking for more information on the mast raising and lowering I looked on Youtube. I must say I was very surprised to find that no enterprising owner has yet uploaded this. Plenty on other makes but alas not the 260.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I waited for further suggestions but none came and went ahead and posted what I had as a couple of folks said it was fine .
Chuck C I lost you when saying attach external halyard to internal halyard. Maybe a photo of what you are talking about to make sure what it is you are saying.
GBGraham; In the very beginning, the suggestions were for supplied mast raising systems to Hunter sailboats only and not to be confused with others as their are differences with the Hunter masts vs. other boats. One most notably is no back stay and secondly swept back spreaders. As for watching out for lines and most notably cables with specific reference to the shroud turnbuckles that was mentioned.

Nov 10, 2017
No criticism was meant to any quarter, I was just so surprised that there was no upload on Youtube given that one can just about get a download on any subject imaginable. As the old phrase goes " A Picture Paints A Thousand Words"

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I know the phrase all too well but you have to understand now that I use to be a dealer who went the distance teaching all my customers having no time for videos plus I am retired now living in the mountains not near a boat. How about you doing that for us and uploading that onto this site. I am not critizing you in the least but applaud you for asking the questions. Sometimes I may present myself that way but really not. You have no idea as to the time spent talking on the phone or going out to help many sailors sometimes traveling out of state asking nothing except for out of pocket expenses to help others and even those who think they know me do not know how many others I help. Also, I am not that savy with with these new fangle dangled electronics. Gotta run but feel free to contact me anytime

Nov 10, 2017
I will try but I have not done this task as yet, hence the reason for visual assistance . I definitely would have to become proficient to avoid any criticism from the experienced.
I to retired and moved in to the mountains but not far enough, the water pulled me back hence the 260.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
GBGraham; Although I was a dealer, well lets say I have too many stories that are funny making me look foolish but that is the way I learned. Do not feel ashamed but rather this is a learning curve. So ask the questions.
Once I took my finance with me to look a at H26 boat back in the 90's getting there late after dark. Like a fool the mast was ready to be dropped when she walked up to me and gave me a kiss. I let the line to lower the mast with go to embrace her and suddenly it was like a tree falling down. Mast gone but boat ok. Was on the road for a 680 mile trip to get another mast the next day returning direct to the boat. Expensive but learned a lesson and the cost, well too much for a single kiss. Thus I tell everyone always to hold that line no matter what or tie it off. As for the customer he asked how I cleaned the mast. I said it is a new mast. We had some good laughs but was thankful I replaced it quickly.

Nov 10, 2017
[QUOTE Expensive but learned a lesson and the cost, well too much for a single kiss.[/QUOTE]

That kiss has cost dearly many a good man !! There is also the other KISS that's apt to sailors, Keep It Simple Sucker . . . .!!

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
Recommend never standing sideways when pulling - might slip and fall off boat, hit head, damage trailer. Better to stand facing forward, legs apart and skewed. Fall backwards onto blanket on cabin top. Blanket good idea to prevent furler from scratching window.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@GGordonWoody
I use to be an adjuster and later investigator for an insurance company which workman's compensation was part of the claims handled. To face forward toward the bow while pulling is one of the worst things as many would tend to lean over forward and then pull many of whom had experienced back injuries and in one case I know of a ruptured disc. I always taught my customers to stand sideways facing forward leaning by the knees to avoid any back injury. If falling, it was reported that folks did not heed and in two cases following my instructions did fall but onto the foredeck and not over to the side. It happened that way for me as well. In simple terms, avoiding back injuries which one of the most common ways is to lean over forward possibly injuring your back. Food for thought