another newbie, hull #12502

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
We have a nice bulkhead compass, but I hesitate to install it there. I'm leaning towards 2 compasses, one mounted on each side of the cockpit. have you tested leaning against yours ?
So I may end up with 2 smaller holes, more expense, but better placement. Unfortunately the size of these boats forces some compromises.
Leaning on it is fine, well supported around the perimeter mount...debated about placement, but felt this was for the best visability from helm from most any angle, we tend to sit on either side of cockpit most often with a throwable or lifeline as the backrest, can still sit/lean against bulkhead, but it is a compromise for sure...

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
We have a nice bulkhead compass, but I hesitate to install it there. I'm leaning towards 2 compasses, one mounted on each side of the cockpit. have you tested leaning against yours ?
So I may end up with 2 smaller holes, more expense, but better placement. Unfortunately the size of these boats forces some compromises.
Based on "Unfortunately the size of these boats..." comment = Why do you need two compasses? Is it actually function or bling that drives the desire?

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
LR....I gave that some thought to that from your previous post in a compass location discussion/thread....that said, all the "activity", good/bad/indifferent generally happens there in the cockpit, I would think it (they) would be more in the way or at risk of being knocked into/stepped on than a bulkhead location....granted small downside on the bulkhead is you affect a backrest/lounging location.

Further, my understanding is a bulkhead compass needs to be installed perpendicular to the centerline of the boat, not sure how you'd do that on the "sides of the cockpit". I've never seen a compass in a cockpit other than on a pedestal or bulkhead, but maybe you're onto something!....fwiw...

Last edited:

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
I've never seen a compass in a cockpit other than on a pedestal or bulkhead, but maybe you're onto something!....fwiw...
That method of mounting is quiet popular here in South Africa. We had a pair of them on the L26 mounted either side of the cabin entrance hatch. Tiller steered boats... no pedestal. The bulkheads were however vertical and perpendicular to the centre line so getting them orientated was really easy. Little more of a challenge on the C22 bulkheads though.

You just have to watch what other electrical equipment you position around the compasses... like a fixed mounted radio!

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
That method of mounting is quiet popular here in South Africa. We had a pair of them on the L26 mounted either side of the cabin entrance hatch. Tiller steered boats... no pedestal. The bulkheads were however vertical and perpendicular to the centre line so getting them orientated was really easy. Little more of a challenge on the C22 bulkheads though.

You just have to watch what other electrical equipment you position around the compasses... like a fixed mounted radio!
interesting...and thought our adjacent fan might have been a problem, but not so, thankfully....

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
next question...."Battery Tender"....what do you guys use?

We run 2 fans (.3amp each), one Hook5 depthfinder/chartplotter (1.3 amp draw), occasional 12v. vac to clean up, nothing more. Been running a new group 24 deep cycle battery for 4 months, never needed a charge, finally ran down enough to lose power to the Hook5 (of course while under way!) so on a charger now. Time for a battery tender since we are in a slip with 20amp/120v. dock power.

Thinking this one https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tend...2&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=battery+tenders&psc=1

Anyone use this one, or another/better/different one?
Thoughts?

(once we get beyond day sailing, will likely add some solar)

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Update, out & about several times last few weeks, once in pretty heavy winds ~20kts & gusty, boat handles great, amazed at how responsive tiller steering is, but need a tiller tamer of some sort. Got 7kts sog close hauled, still somewhat poorly trimmed sails.

We have a pretty significant "wind tide" on the Neuse, have sailed near a shoal marked 6' on the chart and chartplotter, that day it was a pile of exposed rocks in the middle of a wide river, so it ain't 6' there under normal conditions and isn't marked as a nav hazard (needs to be). Of course, that was the day the battery died so had no depth reading.

Also joined the infamous run aground club on the return, steering a bit too close to the edge of our channel, not hard aground, bottom is soft mud, so just raised the keel and moved on...so I'm no longer a liar, just another member of the club!!

Learning, learning, learning with every outing and lovin' it!

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
on another note, unlike most all of you, I've not had a tow vehicle as the boat is slipped and pulled out only occasionally for hurricanes, maintenance, etc., and have borrowed a club member's buggy to haul. Just picked up an older Honda Pilot '04 in good shape from a family member, but lacking a tow package.

Fast forward to etrailer.com...great stout product, no welding required, no mods, free shipping and arrived in 3 days, great service, and only cost a buck and a half. Installed it in an hour, good youtube vids on it, so I guess I'm officially a trailer sailor as need be. Just thought I'd recommend their site & product for the few of you guys in need of adding an eze tow pkg to most any vehicle...fwiw...

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Added some brass tday, the Admiral gifted us a "ships clock", had the bell NIB in PO's stuff (not nearly as big as it looks in the pic), got her a Galley plaque so she knows where her galley is (LOL)...dresses up her "downstairs" some...Cocktail hour @ dockside this afternoon, 72* here.....Merry Christmas to y'all!

Brass1.jpg
Brass3.jpg

Feb 15, 2018
Catalina 22 12512 WILLIAMSBURG
Just reading through some forums and clicked your post . I have 12512 oddly enough 1984 and mine is unmolested nice shape as well ! I will continue checking out your posts of your new adventure , mine is just beginning ! I'm the newbie .

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
wow, they're sisters!....only 10 boats apart, based upon the volume they produced back then, likely only a day or two apart! Post some pics of her!! Welcome to the forum!

Feb 15, 2018
I need to do the dreaded keel pin on her , hole is wobbled out a bit so I’m praying the bushing will fix it without additional wiork . Everything else looks good other than possible hull to deck leak from what I can tell . My adventure begins ! Unfortunately I’m getting closer to sailing weather and afraid to begin on the keel until fall , I think it will be fine for a bit longer just hate putting it off . ATTACH] 1DF7F84E-0CDA-44E7-A546-B56D16D37BF9.jpeg CC4FC030-8AF2-4128-BE78-E2885D2EA0A5.jpeg CC4FC030-8AF2-4128-BE78-E2885D2EA0A5.jpeg 1DF7F84E-0CDA-44E7-A546-B56D16D37BF9.jpeg View attachment 146930

Attachments

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Very nice looking sister ship inside and out! I like the coachroof cover, have a replacement for ours, just need to get snaps put on. Your bimini and interior looks great too. Obviously a well taken care of boat!

Yea, the dreaded keel job, not all that bad, once you dig into it....plenty of threads here on it, and be sure to do the volcano, cable and related parts, not difficult at all. As others advise, do the worst first and go sailing....without being a slave to maintenance constantly.

Where do you sail?, somewhat familiar with your region having lived in Columbus for several years, with a branch business up river some (Portsmouth) and always enjoyed the Cincy ribs (Montgomery Inn) & your chili!

Feb 15, 2018
Haha yes the ribs and chili are our shining star , Bengals now is another story ! I acually live east of Cincinnati close to East Fork lake . I haven't been on a sailing vessel since my early teens ( i'm almost 52). I plan to order a boat load of goodies from Catalina Direct here shortly , I will definetely replace the keel cable , ball , hose etc. right away at the least for now. It is still in barn storage keeping many other boats company over the winter so when I am able to retrieve it I will have more pics . It also came with the camping kit with windows and screens that seals around the pop top so I will be set for boat camping this summer !

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
good on the "camping kit", most don't come so equipped! CD is great for many C22 items, suggest you shop around for other, more generic stuff, WM is good for some items when they have their 40% off sales, Defender is good, ebay of course for used stuff....you'll have a blast with it, keep us posted on your progress, wealth of knowledge right here on the forum, best C22 resource that I've found. Cloud Diver's thread is particularly useful and comprehensive, although his excellent pics are missing at the moment. Helped me a lot.

Also, suggest you join the C22 NSA, some good stuff there on maintenance, upgrades, tips & tricks from C22 owners, etc.
https://www.catalina22.org/index.php

Cheers,
Ron

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
not much of a conventional tide here if any, but surely a remarkable/unusual "wind tide" yesterday, 50kts NW mostly sustained...water down ~4' at slips, fortunately no damage...back up to normal today...

wind tide 1.jpg
wind tide 2.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018
:eek: I would have died walking up on that ! I'm stuck to inland lakes for now but hopefully someday I'll get to the coast , of course I hope to never end up in that situation ! Glad she made it unscathed !

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
couple eze mods...

Installed Tom Lugue's latest mastgate version tday, took all of 10 minutes, insert mastgate, drill 2 holes w/1/16" bit in mast thru the nipples on the back of his mastgate as pilot holes, drill 3/16" holes thru the pilots to accommodate the nipples and keep the mastgate from sliding up/down. Clean up burrs, if any. Re-insert mastgate, done. Works just fine, sail slugs slide well thru it, pinch it to raise/lower and remove slugs (see his video on his site). Time will tell how it holds up, but I expect just fine.

EZE mod and kudos to Tom for a well engineered product. Didn't have experience with his original/previous version, but all good from Gene's and others experience. Some pics of this simple install below...highly recommend mastgates.com, regardless of which product you may choose. (btw, I had some install questions, called Tom @ 9am eastern, he returned the call at 6am his time and talked me thru it...stellar customer service!) Clearly one of the best investments you'll make for a C22, no more slugs falling out when reefing, and less than a "boat buck"!

IMG_0329.jpg IMG_0330.jpg IMG_0331.jpg IMG_0333.jpg IMG_0334.jpg IMG_0335.jpg IMG_0336.jpg IMG_0337.jpg

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
one more eze mod tday, rigging a jib downhaul, needed stanchion mounted fairleads, but <86 stanchions are 7/8", rather than 1"...tough to find, but they're out there, Seadog, from go2marine.com...9 buks....and quality IMO...fwiw...

Attachments