Shelters?

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
I'm planning to get some kind of shelter to park my Macgregor 26S under during the winter. I've been looking at various models from Shelter Logic, ranging from a basic car cover for about $500 (12x20, and needs to be raised to be high enough) up to deluxe RV shelters that go for about $2500. I'm wondering what other people's experiences with these kinds of shelters has been?

Where I live (near Vancouver, BC) there's lots of rain in the winter, but not much snow. There's the occasional dump, but that could be handled by clearing the snow off as it falls and not letting it accumulate -- a pain in the neck, but with zero snow most winters it's probably manageable. The main purpose of the shelter would be to keep the sun and rain off the boat, and allow me to keep it partly rigged and ready to go.

I don't mind spending the money to get something good, but all I really need is a roof, not a full shelter with walls and door flaps, like the RV shelters.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
A 20' x 30' tarp over the mast as will last a couple years if you protect it against wind stress and projections.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
Thanks, Lloyd.

I probably should have explained that, up to now, that's exactly what I have been doing. The problem with the Pacific north west area is the amount of rain. Unless you shake the tarp to clear it a couple of times every day, the water starts to pool in low areas and pretty soon you have a bunch of ponds on top of your boat. For the tarp to work it needs some kind of ribs under it and some means of tensioning it. By the time you've done that, you're looking at as much cost or effort as buying a shelter. Hence my interest in shelters.

I'm not opposed to building some kind of tarp support. That was my original plan when I bought the boat. But once I started getting into the details I realized an off-the-shelf solution was likely to be better.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Tedd
I suspect it depends on how elaborate you want in the yard. The internet can share all sorts of design and material projects.
When I parked my M15 in the side yard, I ran a large tarp over the mast (which was supported on rests above the boat). It acted as a ridge pole. The tarp was stretched over the ridge pole and pulled down on both sides to the trailer frame with bungee cords. No pooling of water or snow. The tarps would last about 2 seasons. They would wear from UV damage along the ridge pole (mast).
Alternatively I have seen PVC Conduit pipes bowed between two points to create a series of hoops over a car or a boat. Then Tarp stretched over the hoops. The commercial purchased products often use this sort of structure. I suspect you could modify the idea to be a self supporting set of hoops tied to boat stanchions and then secured with plastic ties with one or two ridge poles running down the middle of the hoops as a tent support over the boat. I used something like this on a cockpit to form a cockpit tent. Felt like a large pup tent. Worked great one weekend during the "Pocket Yacht Palooza" in Port Townsend when rain showed instead of the expected sun.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
Thanks! I built a small shelter out of PVC pipe, similar to what you described, for my tomato plants. Perhaps I'll see if I can scale that up to a size big enough for the boat. It'll probably require larger diameter pipe than I used for the tomatoes!

Oct 22, 2014
larger diameter pipe
You are correct. Depends on the distance you plan to cover. 10 feet.. 15 feet. Also linking the hoops together with 2 pipes it will further strengthen the structure.
No more swimming pools in the tarps.

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Just completed a cover for my Catalina 22! It will be only a couple more years till I'll be to old to handle it so I made up an instruction sheet that will go along with the boat when sold.

Attachments

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I've used jssailem's method going on my second year, 19' mariner. My tarp is an old one that is big enough to fold in half and slide a 2x4 into the fold. I tie it down to the trailer with that free twine you get at Lowes for hauling your wood home. In northern New Hampshire, we get our share of rain and snow all winter. Since I walk past it every day I can inspect it and brush it off of need be. Didn't have to. I also have a small outboard that I used pvc hoops on. That also worked well.
The secret is keep it tight, don't let it get blown around. Tie to all grommets.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
20 bucks at Costco got me two heavy plastic tarps. They lasted maybe two years. Usually the bend over the mast failed from the UV exposure. Kept the boat looking good and water/snow free during the winter months.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
20171204_085509.jpg
20171204_085553.jpg
The 8' 2x4 provided enough weight to keep her covered with a 1' snow load.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I don't like the idea of using the mast as a ridge pole. It can sag and deform. Sorta like Pre Prebend.
you do have to provide support in the middle too. I have a block the sits against the step, one on the transom and one that stands up from the trailer at the bow.
- Will (Dragonfly)

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I'd guess there's a dealer in BC that sells similar to what I use in Oregon (California All-Steel Carports Inc.) . about $1200.oo all in for 12x24. price includes set-up on your level spot.

P1050762.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
Those shelters, which appear to be spring up like mushrooms, sure look strong enough to shed the winter snow that is coming....
What happens, you find a new/stray boat. Lure it home and the Cal Carport folks send a truck with another carport...
They may be watching your driveway with a trail cam. Or perhaps chumming the routes you take with random oh so cute boats...

Oct 22, 2014
Oh... A friend sent me a message. There is a Montgomery 15 up in Scappose for sale.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Those shelters, which appear to be spring up like mushrooms, sure look strong enough to shed the winter snow that is coming....
What happens, you find a new/stray boat. Lure it home and the Cal Carport folks send a truck with another carport...
They may be watching your driveway with a trail cam. Or perhaps chumming the routes you take with random oh so cute boats...
Well.... I do have 5 of the Cal Carports so far, so they may watch me for signs they need to up their inventory ;) .