Below deck autopilot on hunter 340

Oct 12, 2017
Hunter 340 Pickwick
trying to get ant information on will and how to put a ray marine mechanical drive autopilot on my 1999 hunter 340. I know I won’t just fit it in but wondering if anyone has any info on this. I would appreciate any help thanks

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
rotary or linear drive?
do you have a Edison binical?
A rotary drive will fit in the edison binical with a chain drive

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Welcome to the forum, Steve.. Sailing on the Pickwick (used to kayak fish there in the early 70's when at State) , a normal wheel pilot should work just fine .. if ya really want the internal drive, there are some notes in the forum threads that show similar stuff to whatcha need.
Again, Welcome.. lots of great info here ..
a quick search brought this thread up.. don't know what your pedestal looks like.. https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...841/&highlight=autopilot chain drive in edson

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2004
Hunter 340 Lake Lanier, GA
Steve, these pages from the owner's manual may help, but I don't have an autopilot
67A.jpg 67C.jpg 67B.jpg

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
That looks like a very robust steering system. It looks like the wheel shaft might project though the buried Edson pedestal so that a sprocket can be fitted, and a rotary drive mounted inside the steering console.

Oct 27, 2016
Seattle
And now a word from the sponsor...
Replacement in-deck solar panel

Finally, a drop-in replacement for the in-deck solar panel on Hunters built from the early 90s through the mid-2000s. Improved for longer life and greater output.
See the product

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Hey Steve
My question was what do you want to install not what do you have. If you have a binical then the rotary will fit. With your displacement boat you will only need the type 1 drive (less current draw) and that means you can get away with the smaller AP brain box (EV-200 I think but check the specs)

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Hi and I have the ST 400 Raymarine auto on my 2007 H-36 and even used on my sailing from NY to Florida 99% ocean
and pretty nasty weather for sure and still works great for sure and have a below deck 1 drive for it but have not installed as yet and yes a big job to install it for sure.
Nick

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
That's the Edson rack and pinion system. Will a rotary drive work with that? I don't think the wheel shaft extends past the first gear on the shaft. I think you're going to have to attach a linear drive to the tiller arm. But it doesn't look like there is enough vertical space to do so under the cockpit floor. You may have to get a jefa dual arm tiller (the extra arm set pointing aft) and put a linear drive in one of the lazerettes.

EDIT:

Looking at Kloudies link it seems like there is a shaft extension so rotary would work.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017
Hunter 340 Pickwick
Thanks to all for the help and info. I guess I was wanting to put a mechanical linear drive on a ev 200

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Why below deck and many many wheel AP on your size boat.
Do you mean "why below decks when there are man, many wheel autopilots on the same size boat?"

The simple answer is that below decks autopilots are superior!

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I here you but I like I said I have the linear drive for my H-36
and I keep saying I will install it but my wheel auto is doing just fine and not so easy to add a belowdeck auto drive is not a very easy project for sure.
Just saying good luck and hope everything works OK

Levin

Apr 7, 2007
Hunter 340 San Diego
Hello all,

So I have a 2000 Hunter 340 with the wheel pilot and I can say that while it works it isn't a very good solution. Basically the 340 (at least my model year) has a ridiculously oversized rudder which makes the wheel difficult to turn especially when the wind picks up. Wheel pilots don't have much "umph" so to speak so when the wind gets above 12 knots the autopilot becomes pretty useless unless you are going downwind. Needless to say I've also thought about a below decks unit but I know there is no easy way to place one. The boat uses rack and pinion for the steering (no cables) so I think people would normally use a liner drive system for that, but again definitely no room to place one without making a huge hole and likely having the end of the drive stick into the top of the aft cabin.

Anyway if anyone has successfully done this I'd love to see it. As I said wheel pilot can kinda work but something beefier would be nice.

Take care,
-Levin

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I found out when around 15 to 20 knots my auto pilot would not hold a heading and boat would lose speed and so I
reefed and the boat speed went up to 6.5 knots of speed and the auto pilot was holding course.
Yes reef improve speed and the boat sailed with less heeling and the boat goes faster.
Yes maybe some day I might add the below deck linear drive but still need the extra rudder arm and make a hole and get some real small person to install the linear drive up in a very tight spot for sure.
Nick