Whats wrong....

Sep 11, 2013
Catalina 25 6106 Lake Erie Metro Park
...with this picture? Did I manage to get the cable wrapped the wrong way on the drum? I changed the cable, turning ball and hose after repairing a loose volcano tube but after putting it all back together something just doesn't look right. The cable seems like it's too far to the port side and doesn't line up with the turning ball. On which side of the drum should the cable exit?

Attachments

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
If winding clockwise raised it and counter clockwise lowers it you did it right. Mine bends a little to right as well, each time you raise and lower the cable will wind a little different.

Aug 18, 2016
Catalina 30 mkII 5917 Muskegon, MI
Just did this work myself and the new tube had the same slight bend. Looks correct to me as well

Sep 11, 2013
It just seemed to me that the cable should be in line with the turning ball. Mine is at about a 10 - 15 degree angle. If the winch was closer to starboard it would line up better but nothing was changed. The holes in the step are in the same place, etc. It just looks weird...

Tom G

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
Might I suggest that you get a black Sharpie and write the install date in the blue stripe on the tube. You'll always know at a glance how long it's been since it was last changed. I did that to mine with the intention that I will replace it every five years.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Looking at the photo I see a gate valve on the cockpit drainage system, this indicates to me a vintage C-22, and the keel winch sure looks new. or at least newer, no corrosion, and some aluminum stock on the top mounting of the winch. I suspect the keel winch has been replaced with the wrong winch by someone trying to save some money. The cable should run through the middle of the tube like the photo shows. Granted, this is a new C-22 Sport, but it illustrates how the keel cable should look when correct. They have looked like this for almost 50 years of production.

Don
PHOTO-5.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Agree with @CaptDon01 -- you are in my era ('73) with the drain hardware-- and also agree your winch is likely justified a bit too far to port. I slaved over the placement you see here to pinpoint center when I replaced the entire step and the winch:
IMG_3028.JPG

Sep 11, 2013
It is a '73 but when I replaced the winch three years ago I bought it through Catalina direct so I'm sure it's the correct winch. When I did all that I reinforced the step but used the same mounting hole location, just longer bolts. The shims are to level the winch so the cable doesn't wrap over itself. It's worked well for the last three years, I felt it was time to change the cable, ball and hose just on general principles.
I agree that the cable should run straight but moving the winch is the only way I can see that happening. Something just isn't making sense....

Tom G

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
If you bought the winch from Catalina Direct, it's the correct winch, (some have been know to buy one off Amazon, not knowing what they are getting, other than it looked the same), Keep in mind, your boat is 43 years old, the "same" winch is probably no longer available and the mounting holes will most likely be different. If you want to make the winch mount stronger, why not simply fill the gap between the liner and the companionway. I would use some scrapes of fiberglass stock, or maybe some oak or maple blocks epoxied into position. Now you are transferring the load to be shared by the liner and the hull. You have strengthened the companionway for sure, but the load is still being carried by the deck assembly. I had a similar situation on my MK-II that I noticed when I was installing the battery charger. My gap wasn't as large as the gap on your boat, so I was able to pump some 3M5200 in the opening along the sides and across the front to bond the deck and the hull liner together at that point. This eliminated the flexing you could feel when stepping into the cabin.

Don
DUAL BATTERY 007.jpg

DUAL BATTERY 010.JPG

Sep 11, 2013
I strengthened the companion way step as well. 1" oak on the top, 1/4" aluminum on the bottom. There's no flexing going on. I looked at the old winch (I never throw anything away) and noticed that the spool is much smaller, about 1", than on the new winch, about 2". This may account for the difference in the angle of the cable. How much harm would there be in just leaving it as it is? I've sailed for three season like this.

Tom G

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
This may account for the difference in the angle of the cable. How much harm would there be in just leaving it as it is? I've sailed for three season like this.
Ayup. Keep an eye on it for any chafe, and maybe rotate the hose now and then?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
PC, I hope you replace those 2 clear plastic hoses with proper marine items..

Sep 11, 2013
That's what I was thinking...just keep an eye on things but I'm concerned about the cable putting side load on the turning ball. I looked at the old ball and there's some indications that has been going on. Also, it looks like the ball hadn't been turning. I'll post pix later.

Tom G

Sep 11, 2013
Attached is a picture of the old turning ball. There's an indication that some side loading was going on as evidenced by the wear mark offset to one side of the ball's groove. Also it appears that the ball wasn't rotating as indicated by the flat spot. Note that the flat spot is also offset to one side. This turning ball has the delrin bearing, by the way.
My concern is that if the cable doesn't run exactly in the center of the groove of the ball, the ball will be side loaded against the tube and won't rotate. I really don't want to relocate the winch, I just sealed a new oak support to the cabin step and am afraid that drilling more holes will weaken the cabin step further.

Turning Ball.JPG

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Is there any extra cable length wrapped onto the winch spool? Maybe you could take off a foot or so - probably a small difference but might help an incremental amount in bringing the cable drop to the left.

It would be a fair amount of work, but maybe you could re-drill the mounting holes on the winch backing plate, and shift them over an inch and re-bolt?

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2013
With the keel fully raised there's a single full layer of cable on the spool plus three turns. I don't think cutting off a foot or so would significantly reduce the diameter of the cable + spool. There's not enough material on the base of the winch to re-drill the holes, at least not enough to matter.

Thanx for the suggestions.....

Tom G