Question on Aqua Signal Series 33 LED Nav lights

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have searched and can't find the answer anywhere. Perhaps someone who has purchased and installed these lights can help me.
It appears that the side and stern light have 7" power leads. Is this really true- only 7" long? And are these leads tinned marine quality or just common copper?

Aqua Signal Series 33.jpg

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Thanks, Terry. I saw that info. I am surprised that the leads could really be that short, but I am also concerned if the wires are tinned marine quality. It seems dumb that a manufacturer would use non-marine wire on a marine device, but I have frequently seen this occur. Hella NAV lights have 2.5 meter leads that are marine wire. But they are almost 3X the price of Aqua Signal. I may have to go to a supplier and actually put eyes on the product.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
We have these. Yes, I think it is tinned wire but very small gauge and about 7". When you install them I'd stagger the butt connectors and use the expensive heat shrink tubing with the glue inside to insure an outdoor waterproof connection. Nice lights and no more messing about with bulbs in an only semi-waterproof housing.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I too was surprised that the leads were that short when I helped a friend with them. We changed our lights to Hella LED's from the conventional Aqua Signal. The longer lead allowed us to make the connections below decks in the relative "dry" of the anchor/sail locker. I really like how they are sealed and work.

The conventional Aqua Signal (non-LED models) that we had as OEM lights 19 years ago tended to get corrosion on the incandescent bulb fittings inside the light. I replaced them once after cleaning them twice in about 8 years -- the metal that held one bulb was pretty much shot. I don't know if the Aqua Signal solved those issues with the "new" LED lights. The bow lights spend a bunch of time in the spray (occasionally more than just a little water ;^))) ). If they aren't sealed, an LED light wouldn't last as well as an incandescent.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
I put in a new steaming and deck light fixture. Solder connection on the ground wire was a cold joint and fell right apart. Poor quality in my opinion. I used an LED for the anchor light and it seems OK

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I don't know if the Aqua Signal solved those issues with the "new" LED lights. The bow lights spend a bunch of time in the spray (occasionally more than just a little water ;^))) ). If they aren't sealed, an LED light wouldn't last as well as an incandescent.
According to what I have found the Aqua Signal LED NAV lights are rated for IP68 which is immersion. My real concern is making waterproof connections inside the bow pulpit tubes that won't give me trouble in the future. And 7" connection wires is totally stupid IMHO.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
And 7" connection wires is totallystupid IMHO.

That's exactly what I thought. The rating on the fixture functionally means that the entry wires are "potted in". The 7" means your are connecting then stuffing in the connectors where you really don't want to.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I looked at the 33s at Fawcetts today. I think you can believe the stripped ends are tinned, but they were formed into a square- like they were supposed to plug into something. No open packs, so could not investigate.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
The primary reason that I am going to replace my OEM Hella 2984 fixtures is that the socket, wires, and bulb are badly corroded. I have cleaned and repaired all of this several times and I am pretty much out of wire to strip and crimp new terminals. These fixtures are supposed to be waterproof, but my experience is quite different. So I am thinking that a totally sealed fixture with a LED would be the way to go. I am just trying to find the highest quality product that will work well for a reasonable price.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
The Hella 2394 series are incandescent lights. The LED Lights that I have have been douched for seven hard seasons with a lot of salty spray. They haven't leaked a bit and are like new today.

The old Aqua Signals (which like the Hella) have replaceable incandescent bulbs. The act of making a bulb "replaceable" leaves it vulnerable. If you never take spray (or worse, "green water") then they'll hold-up better than with just the deterioration from the salt air environment. However, in the real world, you need to get up there if you have incandescent bulbs and use WD40 or some other protector to treat the metal regularly. With a the sealed Hella LEDs, I haven't had to do that (and can't because they're sealed.)

I looked around when I bought them, they were more expensive, but all the others seemed inferior to me.

http://www.hellamarine.com/en/products/navigation-lamps/

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Yes they are tinned and short. I've used some for about 4 years with no issues so far. The Hella LEDs appear to be similar construction (probably made in the same China factory).

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I used the Aquasignal LEDs for my bow lights. I decided to skip the pulpit hung lights. I mounted them directly below the toe rail. They are waterproof. Mounting them directly to the fiberglass worked nicely. No problems so far.
A8A54588-40A0-424B-9165-5196E412E273.jpeg

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Yes they are tinned and short. I've used some for about 4 years with no issues so far. The Hella LEDs appear to be similar construction (probably made in the same China factory).

Where do you say these are made, Larry?

http://www.hellamarine.com/en/produ...aviled-pro-starboard-led-navigation-lamp.html
I looked at these http://www.hellamarine.com/en/products/navigation-lamps/portstarboard-compact/
The construction methods and materials appear very similar to the comparable Aqua Signal line https://www.aquasignal.com.au/series-34/

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I am just trying to find the highest quality product that will work well for a reasonable price.
You want everything! Quality, functionality, and price. I say, pick two.

Anyway, what length leads do you want? Would that be a reasonable length to supply to all customers? Might cost more, how much "price" are you willing to sacrifice?

Seriously, though - it's not too tough to make a good, waterproof connection from wire to wire, to extend the lead. Check these:

These heat-shrink butt connectors are adhesive-lined to create a water-resistant and corrosion resistant connection, making them ideal for marine and off-road applications. The butt connectors are color coded to industry standards and come in an organizer storage case for quick access.
  • Tinned copper for maximum current flow
  • Assortment of the most popular sizes
  • Organized storage case
$8.99

https://shop.harborfreight.com/medi...b33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_20091.jpg

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
I find that newer led fixtures use really light gauge wire due to led loads. Makes it hard to butt splice to a larger gauge wire. :(