Catalina 310 wing keel draft?

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
Catalina 310 323 Middle River, Md
Ready to purchase a Catalina 310 wing keel. We prefer a shallower draft boat, so that was a draw with this boat because it's listed at 4'4". Although Catalina brochure states 4'. Then I started searching the web - and found a forum with several 310 owners listing that they've run aground, then found it actually drafts 4'10". Several owners came up with this measurement. My question is this. Anyone else finding that their 310's have a draft closer to 5'?
Thank you for your time

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
I went through this same exercise because my boat was listed in the original brochure at 4 ft draft. I called Catalina and got no useful information. Have seen 4 ft, 4 ' 4" and even 4' 10" listed as the shoal draft for thilisted. I have twice measured it while hauled out and both times measured 5 ft. As far as I am concerned my boat has 5 ft draft and mine was the first one built.
bob

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
Haul 104 drafts 4’10” and is a wing keel. During a visit to Catalina Flordia factory an employee told me they used keels from another model that were deeper.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Draft has to be specified with a loading factor. Straight out out of the factory with no extras, people, food, beer, clothing, safety gear, instruments, water, fuel........ the draft is going to be less than "loaded out for cruising" there should be a factor in the owners manual that tells you how many inches the draft increases for every 100 lb of loading

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
there should be a factor in the owners manual that tells you how many inches the draft increases for every 100 lb of loading
I have never seen or heard of such a thing! Really? I have manuals for the C36 and Tartan 3800, no such mention.

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
Catalina 310 323 Middle River, Md
Called Catalina, left a message, no reply.

Called a local Catalina dealer and here's the skinny.
The first hulls out of production were 4'10" draft, even though the brochure states 4' for the wing keel. I think he said there was a law suit and a lot of the first hulls were retro fitted with a shorter keel under warranty. They ended up being more in the 4'6" range. He wasn't sure of the exact hull number but was guessing by around 125 they redesigned the keel trunk and got it down to 4'4". There ya have it, so know if someone chimes in with hull #200 and has a 4'10" wing keel all bets are off.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
A boat should draw her rated draft when loaded to her Load Waterline.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
I bet you find out when you run aground :biggrin::)
All kidding aside, I use 5' though we draw less than that- on Lake Erie we can run aground on Mud or ROCK, we also check our charts so we avoid the areas that can get us into big trouble.
We have mud/sand in our channel but just outside there is a rock structure marked with a buoy that shoals up to 2' below the surface in 20' of water around it- now theres a surprise!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Called Catalina, left a message, no reply.

Called a local Catalina dealer and here's the skinny.
The first hulls out of production were 4'10" draft, even though the brochure states 4' for the wing keel. I think he said there was a law suit and a lot of the first hulls were retro fitted with a shorter keel under warranty. They ended up being more in the 4'6" range. He wasn't sure of the exact hull number but was guessing by around 125 they redesigned the keel trunk and got it down to 4'4". There ya have it, so know if someone chimes in with hull #200 and has a 4'10" wing keel all bets are off.
Amazing.

Apr 14, 2014
catalina 310 Rock Hall, MD
Ready to purchase a Catalina 310 wing keel. We prefer a shallower draft boat, so that was a draw with this boat because it's listed at 4'4". Although Catalina brochure states 4'. Then I started searching the web - and found a forum with several 310 owners listing that they've run aground, then found it actually drafts 4'10". Several owners came up with this measurement. My question is this. Anyone else finding that their 310's have a draft closer to 5'?
Thank you for your time

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
A boat should draw her rated draft when loaded to her Load Waterline.
As part of another thread here I just did some calculations for how much weight is need to cause a change of 1 inch in waterline depth. For a Catalina 310, beam of 11.5': assume 1/2 of that area is the water surface. So 31x11.5*.5 = 178 square feet. 1" depth of that gives just under 15 cubic feet displacement. For seawater that's almost 1000 lbs. So adding 1000 lbs to a Catalina 310 should lower her about 1" in the water.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
My 2001 shoal draft measured 4'9" to the factory waterline, 4'11" to our weekender weight and 5'1" to our cruising waterline. So weight is the big factor. For the 310 it is depressed one inch for every 1,082 pounds of weight you put on the boat (this includes the people too).

Just as a sales pitch for the 310, ours just survived two category 5 hurricanes. One by running and one tied in a slip. We have sailed ours from Boston to the Caribbean and still love our boat!

Let us know if you have any questions.

Nov 16, 2012
From my research you are the only 310 with a Yanmar. All the rest were Westerbeke/Universal.
I heard that later 310s had a Yanmar, but have not actually seen that myself. There certainly have been lots of changes over the years; some small, some big. I think that's a Catalina tradition.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
We have a 3 cylinder Yanmar 29 hp unit on haul #44, there has been other units with yanmars it just luck of the draw when the boat was made and what motor was on site.

Nov 16, 2012
My 2001 shoal draft measured 4'9" to the factory waterline, 4'11" to our weekender weight and 5'1" to our cruising waterline. So weight is the big factor. For the 310 it is depressed one inch for every 1,082 pounds of weight you put on the boat (this includes the people too).

Just as a sales pitch for the 310, ours just survived two category 5 hurricanes. One by running and one tied in a slip. We have sailed ours from Boston to the Caribbean and still love our boat!

Let us know if you have any questions.
Your weight value is very close to my guesstimate above. That would imply that the 4000 pounds over the design displacement weight we saw should result in a 4" change from theoretical. It sure doesn't look like that much, in fact our waterline is several inches below the boot stripe, but who knows where that should be.