Always under sail.

Feb 11, 2017
Rosborough 246 Upper Chesapeake
I see the sloop sailing out of the picture. I see the wake more clearly slicing the reflection of the building. The building has been turned slightly and interestingly, the reflection has been turned even more as if it is becoming unmoored as well. As for meaning, I don't know. I suspect the boat is Wyeth himself. The building, the reflection, the water and the sky can all have meaning but given what little I know about Wyeth's life, they could be many. And then their is what the viewer sees and understands. In a lifetime of hanging around writers, musicians and artists, I've come to believe that once released to a reader, listener or viewer art takes on a life of its own and is in a sense completed by the person reading, hearing or seeing. Great art may have many meanings even to the same person. The finished picture reminded me of an article I'd seen a few years after Wyeth's death which I hunted up and read again before this reply. https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/in-chadds-ford-pa-they-still-tell-stories-about-andrew-wyeth-but-plenty-of-mysteries-remain/2014/04/24/3b49482e-b8ee-11e3-9a05-c739f29ccb08_story.html?utm_term=.cf3d46e2ed84

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
There is that aspect. But there also might be some triumph, being 91 years old and still doing what you love to do, right up until the end.

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Pacific Seacraft Orion27 HP: San Diego, M: Anacortes
Certainly a poetic ending, eh?

Feb 11, 2017
Rosborough 246 Upper Chesapeake
There is that aspect. But there also might be some triumph, being 91 years old and still doing what you love to do, right up until the end.
Love to do, are compelled to do. When an artist lives that long and is so prolific, I'm not sure they can separate their work (their art) from their life. I think that's why I was so fascinated by the reflection seeming to turn as if it was becoming unmoored.