Navionics

Sep 11, 2017
Hunter 270 Berkeley
I'm new to this, so please bear with me. I just got a Raymarine Axiom 7 chartplotter with a Navionics chart. The chart shows detphs in feet but each depth is indicated with two different numbers, one of them in smaller font. Can anybody explain? The chart looks quite cluttered like this. I'll appreciate your comments.
Cheers, Albert

Sep 25, 2016
Oday 22 Lake Arthur
I'm new to this, so please bear with me. I just got a Raymarine Axiom 7 chartplotter with a Navionics chart. The chart shows detphs in feet but each depth is indicated with two different numbers, one of them in smaller font. Can anybody explain? The chart looks quite cluttered like this. I'll appreciate your comments.
Cheers, Albert
can you post a picture of that?

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
From the Navionic's site
Meters or Feet:
Larger (regular font) number = full depth unit (Meters or Feet)
Smaller (subscripted) number = 1/10 depth unit
Where your depth unit is set up on the chart plotter or Mobile App as feet or meters.

As for congestion on your chart, you may be able to set the amount of detail the chart displays, on my Raymarine it is under "Preferences" I believe. If you zoom in to a tighter view the congestion will disappear as well.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
It’s what daydreamer points out. I find this happens a lot in areas where the original soundings were done in a unit other than the one being used on the chart. Like California. Personally, I think this is fine for meters but I’d be OK with rounding in feet.

793F4B9C-A9AC-4CE7-A8BD-A1811B3531E9.jpeg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Not to add confusion to this but, when I bring up my iNavX chart of the same Berkeley bay location using the NOAA chart 18652_5 I see the same numbers. The NOAA charts are in feet not meters.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Not to add confusion to this but, when I bring up my iNavX chart of the same Berkeley bay location using the NOAA chart 18652_5 I see the same numbers. The NOAA charts are in feet not meters.
Some NOAA charts state bottom right hand in the border, "Soundings in Feet" just wondering. There are also NOAA charts marked soundings in Fathoms, I guess it depends what chart is ordered.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Check your settings in the Navionics app. It will display in either feet, meters, or fathoms, depending on how it is configured. (Under menu/settings/units). Small # is 10ths.

edit: that's where you find the display settings in the Navionics app. Assuming your chartplotter has a similar setting configuration.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Love n Luck./... Yes. Feet sometimes Fathoms.. It changes based on the chart. As the charts focus on smaller areas like bays and harbors Feet is generally used as the water is often shallow.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Love n Luck./... Yes. Feet sometimes Fathoms.. It changes based on the chart. As the charts focus on smaller areas like bays and harbors Feet is generally used as the water is often shallow.
Paper yes. Not with Vector charts - it's a program setting.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
iNaxX uses RNC (raster) charts that will only display soundings in the original unit of chart measurement. ENC charts allow for the sounding units displayed to be changed under programmatic control.