Boat weight?

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
We hauled our boat today for a bottom job. The weight readout on the lift was 16,000 lbs. Someone said that that is an overestimate, because of the angle of the slings, and that 14-14.5K lbs was closer to correct.

The spec for the displacement is only 10,300 lbs. I know we've put a lot of stuff on the boat, but 4,000 lbs? Seems excessive. Or maybe the spec is low, and the travel lift reads high?

What sort of readings do others get? Just curious.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
That's almost an extra keel! Time for a diet. Take everything off - all of it. Put back only what you actually use. Your boat is in the water all year? Maybe run a dehumidifier for a few days with the cabin closed up. You'll suck
out a few hundred pounds.
"Or maybe the spec is low, and the travel lift reads high?"
That's pretty much what I say every morning when I weigh myself.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Gravity doesn’t change at an angle. Either the gauge was out of whack, or the boat is that heavy.
They don’t charge the lift by pounds? Kinda like the grocery store spraying the broccoli every 87 seconds and then charging the weight.

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
Well add in the weight of existing fuel, water and waste tanks (water weights about 7.62 lbs per gallon, diesel is a little less and holding tanks are the same as water weight) all electronics, sails, etc and you might be surprised.

But yes, this does sound a little high for your boat

Nov 16, 2012
Gravity doesn’t change at an angle. Either the gauge was out of whack, or the boat is that heavy.
They don’t charge the lift by pounds? Kinda like the grocery store spraying the broccoli every 87 seconds and then charging the weight.
They charge by the foot...

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
At haul out a few ago a crane operator I trust told me 15,500. I need to paint it in vertical stripes as they are slimming.

Nov 16, 2012
Actually the angle does matter. If the straps are pulling at a 45 degree angle the load (which is being measured) is much more than the actual weight. At 90 degrees the load becomes essentially infinite.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My B323, 32'10", for several haulouts is 13,000. It's pretty well equipped.

Aug 1, 2011
Actually the angle does matter. If the straps are pulling at a 45 degree angle the load (which is being measured) is much more than the actual weight. At 90 degrees the load becomes essentially infinite.
Really? A pound is a pound is a pound. If you're going to tell us that the straps in the travellift were at a 45 degree angle, I would think that you'd be a lot more concerned about the security of the load (your boat) than the weight.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Hold the horses...
Almost all big weighing scales, fork lifts, cranes, etc. use "strain cells" and are good to maybe 3 digits of precision.
So to make a lift safely, all crane lift points have a strain cell and are SUMMED for Total Weight.

If that is NOT true, stop using that lift. UNSAFE!!!:yikes:

If that lift has not recently calibrated their strain cells [by license and law they must]
Lookout boat!

ANGLE of the straps has ZERO to do with total weight. However the Angle of lift, of a single boom crane, is key to prevent "tipping".

If those strains cell said 16,000 lbs and they were calibrated correct, then your boat weight is 16k ±1k precision.
______
Trivia: Fresh water at room temperature weighs ≈8.33 lbs/gallon. Good marine diesel is ≈ 7.1 lbs/ gallon
Crap diesel is heavier ≈7.9 lbs/gallon . You grade diesel by its specific gravity at 15.6 C°.

Jim...

PS: Diesel is lighter than water, doesn't mix with water and it Floats on water. ;)

Aug 1, 2011
Not to mention that if the boat gets heavier when it’s angle off vertical increases, how much heel would be required to send it to the bottom?
:)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
That's pretty much what I say every morning when I weigh myself.
Quit eating so much Lasagna!!:laugh:

I stopped weighing in morning and eat more spaghetti!;)
Jim...

PS: Quit using your wife's Birthday party as an excuse.:cowbell:

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
Thanks for the correction on my weights. I keep mixing diesel and water. No wonder I have engine issues (not really but I do want to note the correction on my misinformation)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The spec for the displacement is only 10,300 lbs.
OMG:doh:
Make a note to self....:banghead:
"Don't make a strong case on SBO without 2 cups of coffee"

Boat Displacement Weight is NOT Total weight of the boat!

Displacement weight = Weight of Water Displaced when the boat is....

Floating!!

Whew! Boat lift is probably safe.
Jim...

PS: Fat floats.;)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The load gets huge, but the mass stays the same, as long as it moves slowly.
Captain Kirk to Sulu: Warp 2 Mr. Sulu...
Mr Sulu: But Captain won't we go to infinite mass at 4 times the speed of light?
Captain Kirk to Mr Sulu: Remember your training? Warp drives bend space thus avoiding relativity mass.:rolleyes:
Captain Kirk to Log: Remind me to beam Mr. Sulu to the next Class M planet, first!

Jim...

Nov 16, 2012
OMG:doh:
Make a note to self....:banghead:
"Don't make a strong case on SBO without 2 cups of coffee"

Boat Displacement Weight is NOT Total weight of the boat!

Displacement weight = Weight of Water Displaced when the boat is....

Floating!!

Whew! Boat lift is probably safe.
Jim...

PS: Fat floats.;)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Displacement_(ship)

Actually, displacement weight is the total weight of the boat...

Boat lift is safe in ether case.