SeaDek cockpit in a C22

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Hey everyone... I know I have been a bit absent lately. Since Photobucket pulled their hostage scam I haven't gotten around to fixing all the pics on my resto thread and have not posted much new material.
Well, there is a dude in South Africa doing some great work on his coring job and I simply can't be out done (great job by the way!), so I had to throw you guys something.

A couple years ago one of our members had a SeaDek cockpit sole made in faux teak, he used the mylar kit to make a template and they CNC cut the material. It ended up costing around $400 and they wouldn't even give him the left over material from the full sheet! That's crazy, and to do the whole cockpit would be $800; just not worth it.

So I finally found a place that actually sells SeaDek full sheet material in the faux teak, although SeaDek insists that NO ONE sells the stuff... whatever. I'll post the link below. This happened to be the same on-line store where I had bought my galvanized U bolts for my trailer, only reasonable prices I could find on-line anywhere! It was a happy accident that I notice they sold SeaDek sheets in the faux teak for $186 per sheet.

So here are the results;
sea dek 1.jpg

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Cloud....thatz the sh!tz!!!

I've got some spider cracks in my cockpit sole, not really spongy (yet), but a bit of shall we say "creaking" when stepped on hard....which leads me to believe there's been some water intrusion and perhaps some rot below....actually only aft of the companionway a foot or so, likely caused by the infamous Catalina forward scuppers leaking (as warned by Gene 1 1/2 years ago).

Been racking my brain on a fix without tearing out the whole cockpit floor....now that I see this stuff, thinking grind out the spider cracks, fill to stop the bleeding, live with what's there going forward and install your stuff....make sense, or am I missing something? After working with it, how well do you expect it to hold up long term? and does it really, really stick, without bubbling?

((been considering some teak or sapele slats, but don't want the maintenance, or the cost))

Thx in advance,
Ron

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Very Nice !
I'm not a fan of grey, but nice looking nonetheless.
....besides that guy from South Africa @greg_m has probably already done his in real teak anyhow. ;) :poke:

An interesting coincidence is that I was just reading the latest "Good Old Boat" magazine, where a named Paul Brogger used different colours of non-slip paint to achieve the look of teak decking on his San Juan 28.

Sep 8, 2014
Cloud....thatz the sh!tz!!!

I've got some spider cracks in my cockpit sole, not really spongy (yet), but a bit of shall we say "creaking" when stepped on hard....which leads me to believe there's been some water intrusion and perhaps some rot below....actually only aft of the companionway a foot or so, likely caused by the infamous Catalina forward scuppers leaking (as warned by Gene 1 1/2 years ago).

Been racking my brain on a fix without tearing out the whole cockpit floor....now that I see this stuff, thinking grind out the spider cracks, fill to stop the bleeding, live with what's there going forward and install your stuff....make sense, or am I missing something? After working with it, how well do you expect it to hold up long term? and does it really, really stick, without bubbling?

((been considering some teak or sapele slats, but don't want the maintenance, or the cost))

Thx in advance,
Ron
Ron... yes, it really, really sticks. It has 3M pressure sensitive backing. The only drawback is that you have to be real careful placing it, get it right the first time. Its a bit of a pain dealing with the larger sheets. I didn't get everything 'just right', I think the cockpit sole if off about 1/8" to the port side.
Great thing about this stuff is that if there is damage to your nonskid or you need to do repairs this will cover everything. They say you can put it down right over the top of the old nonskid pattern but I wouldn't do that, sand it all smooth with 60 grit. The adhesive sticks better to a smooth glossy surface, so you could even paint it to seal it if you wanted.
You check your cockpit sole by shimmying into the the area under the cockpit and looking up. Catalina didn't paint or seal the underside of the cockpit sole plywood at all so you might be able to tell if there is extensive rot that requires a re-core or just small areas to grind out and fill where there are sider cracks. I don't think there is any wood around the cockpit scuppers, I think its solid glass up there but don't quote me on that.

Sep 8, 2014
Oh yeah, @rpludwig , I only got a bubble or two in the big sheet of the cockpit sole. It was a really hot day, 90 plus, and I think tiny amounts of air got trapped and expanded. I just use a razor to make a tiny puncture, I did this only in the black lines where the material is thinnest. Once I let the air out it just rolled right down. No more bubbles over the last three warm days.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
The "dude in South Africa" thinks that is an amazing looking job on the cockpit! Excellent motivation for me.

That is also a very nice shape/form you have on the pushpit railing!

@Leeward Rail teak way to expensive for me here in SA... have considered using a product called "Ballau" which is a very durable wood used for making decks around buildings and walkways. It also goes grey in the sunlight. I will definitely be using it to make a wooden rubrail for my boat as the original aluminium railing was shot and to import is again way to expensive.

The biggest issue is putting money into something that you will never be able to sell for true value... so I want a nice boat but at the same time I want to be reasonable about expenses. The wife thinks I should have dumped the boat a year ago already!!!

So I just plod along monthly!

Last edited:

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
A couple years ago one of our members had a SeaDek cockpit sole made in faux teak, he used the mylar kit to make a template and they CNC cut the material. It ended up costing around $400
CloudDiver,

I'm that guy. Your instinct is correct, grind away the non-skid pattern before putting this stuff down. Water can work its way through the pattern. I speak from experience. I've been thinking about putting it on my lazarette tops. Yours looks great, how did you cut the Seadek? Here is a picture of the faux teak in a teak color.
IMG_1685.JPG

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
The wife thinks I should have dumped the boat a year ago already!!!
That seems to be somewhat
common.

Here's a good example:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f131/wife-is-close-to-axing-cruising-dreams-125799.html

My wife likes sailing, but calls the boat, "my mistress".

Fortunately a C22 is usually reasonable in expenditures.
Of course, some people (Chip Ford for example) go overboard. There is no way I'd spend $40k on a C22.

as for the teak... yeah I assumed as much. My comment was ribbing Luke, confirming his suspicion that his forum status has diminished with your arrival, and his attempts at attaining top billing again are fruitless. :)

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Luke, they used to sell it at Downwind Marine on Canon St, maybe not anymore, I've been gone for a while now. Nice job, and nice job on the stern pulpit too!

Don

Sep 8, 2014
Just awesome!!
Wanna reconsider that grey rub rail insert?? :)
Not sure what you mean? My rub rail insert is grey, only color you can get from CD... Originally I had wanted to paint the hull Flag Blue and go with tan/sand color kiwi grip and then the actual teak color of SeaDek. It was the grey rub rail insert that influenced me the most to paint the hull grey. Not many grey boats in San Diego besides Navy ships, plenty of White ones and a few Flag Blue. I figured I'd change it up a bit.

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
Fantastic! Manifico! Appreciate the sourcing information too. Added this to the to-do list at #107.