Is this a problem?

Jwhy

Feb 11, 2013
Catalina 320 Kilmarnock
While changing the furler line on my Catalina 34 I saw the crack in the chain plate for the forestay. Should I do something about it?
IMG_0659.JPG

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That is not good. It appears the crack in along the weld line. This is a weakness. I would repair before I took the boat out in anything but mild conditions. A mast coming down can be a real bad day. The crack is a path for rust to begin. A dye test would be a way of confirming how far the crack has progressed.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Well it is hard to tell as it does not look like a weld line to me but a groove. Are there two pieces in this picture, The thin vertical on the left and the piece that is facing the camera? could be the paint has just parted due to what I'd be more concerned about and that is the whole thing is pulling out of the deck......and that is never good. check below decks also for the state of the connections there.

Oct 22, 2014
Bill. In my observation, the weld is from top to bottom in the image. It has then been ground down to smooth the look of the weld. The grind lines can be seen on both sides of the vertical crack and they are similar below the area that the vertical crack stops.
What is greater in concern is the beginning of a horizontal crack about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch up from the bottom crack. This has rust associated with it and is an indication of metal failure. That is the start of failure for the piece and what will bring the mast down.
Examine and repair or replace would be my action before I headed out on a 20 knot day fun sail with family and friends on SF Bay.
It is going to fail it is just a mater of time and force. Better to catch it before it does more damage.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Probably is a problem. The pic is so close I cannot tell but the crack is not supposed to be there.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
You have done a good job of inspection, and averted a disaster! That is a crack in the weld. Get the new part and install it, before you sail the boat again, is my recommendation.

Check this description from the Catalina Direct page for the replacement (emphasis mine):

The redesigned stem fitting fits the Catalina 320, Catalina 34, and Catalina 36. Multiple improvements have been incorporated into this design.

Improvements:
  • Doubler at the top of the forestay tang has eliminated the transition where some have failed.
  • Thick full length, 3/8" stainless forestay tang takes the load to the hull without weak points.
  • The vestigial anchor rollers have been eliminated making room for a proper anchor roller. See "May we also suggest" below.
  • Gussets on either side of the deck plate have been eliminated. These supported the anchor rollers but were never part of the support for the forestay. They were however a location where cracks would begin.
  • This new stem fitting is a much cleaner and stronger design.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Where's Stu Jackson? Too bad you can't tag people on comments here, as in JIRA, or Facebook, so he'd get a notification that I'm mentioning him!

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Where's Stu Jackson? Too bad you can't tag people on comments here, as in JIRA, or Facebook, so he'd get a notification that I'm mentioning him!
@jviss , you can. The @ symbol, following up with user name.

Unless the user has alerts turned off, of course.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
This photo from Catalina Direct looks like a more complete view of what was shown in the OP photo. That is scarier than I thought.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
That is scarier than I thought.
My thoughts exactly once I enlarged the image and looked at the detail.
Ever wonder how many boats are in the marina's with similar conditions that no one suspects?

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
One of the joys of older boats. 3 years ago I pulled the rig and replaced all standing rigging. while I as at it I pulled all chainplates and inspected and passivated them with Wichinox. I replaced most of the tangs and any other parts that were suspect. Then I stripped and repainted the mast and boom. I like to sail hard and now have much greater confidence in the rigging.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Just posted about this in another thread. Had my stem-head ( that's what it's called) snap a couple of years ago while running downwind ( thankfully). Replace ASAP. Do not go out until done. A good machine shop can replicate one for you. Secure the mast with a halyard run forward before you take this one off.