Happy Columbus Day!

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
A great man, and a life worth celebrating. I shall drink to his memory ... just not yet, it's only 7:30 AM. ;)

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
When you hear the phrase "it's five o'clock somewhere" to give us a civil time to start drinking you might be misconstruing what your hearing. If they wanted you to wait till evening they would have said "it's eighteen hundred somewhere". It's perfectly fine to drink now!

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
In 1993 my office window was a baseball throw from the Delaware River. I got to see the replicas of the Niña, Pinta, and Santa Maria sail by on the 500 yr anniversary.

OMG they were small but...
the original Men aboard were Giants.

They crossed the Atlantic on the Easterlies, that we now know very well causes...
Hurricane Seasons

It was mid season too! :yikes: August-October.

Great sailor!
Jim...

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Small.. yes.. the books illustrations mostly show a huge ship when in reality, they weren't very big.. This from their trip to Baton Rouge, end of December '07
Nina at BR08.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
So Columbus was the one who started all the fuss about sailing ships and blue water adventures... A pox on all of it..

Ooops wrong message board... Never mind...

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
When you hear the phrase "it's five o'clock somewhere" to give us a civil time to start drinking you might be misconstruing what your hearing. If they wanted you to wait till evening they would have said "it's eighteen hundred somewhere". It's perfectly fine to drink now!
Wow - thank you for that!!

Good grief, I've been REALLY NEGLIGENT in my drinking all these years! :yikes:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Gene... Negligent is such a strong word. Maybe tardy better describes the events...
as is "Gene has been tardy with his drinking, not tipping a pint till after 5 somewhere."

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I think it was a race. The three boats were built by the great great great andcestors of the Pogo boar
Small.. yes.. the books illustrations mostly show a huge ship when in reality, they weren't very big.. This from their trip to Baton Rouge, end of December '07
View attachment 141694
Dang that was a small boat for that long a journey back then.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Believe It Or Not [BION for future short hand] the islanders had gold trinkets, but not fashioned.

So...
The journey back was with the Westerlies, which are faster, carrying the trinkets and smiles on their faces.
He left a few guard sailors to set up a fort and camp.

On his second trip, the guard sailors were evidently killed and eaten by the islanders.

Historical fact that the islanders got...

Indigestion from their first Italian Food!!!

Jim...

PS: Columbus never saw a North American inhabitant.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
A great man, and a life worth celebrating. I shall drink to his memory ... just not yet, it's only 7:30 AM. ;)
A great sailor who did not know where he was going, and never arrived to where he thought he had gone.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Totally tired of judging historical figures by today's ethos! Age of discovery explorers were tough men who drove their crews fiercely and were uncompromising in discipline. They weren't nice guys. But they accomplished the discovery of the non-european world and peoples. Whether the peoples wanted to be discovered or not, they were not going to exist in their niches forever. They were destined to be found, as they found earlier peoples when they migrated to where ever they were in 1400's.
A great sailor who did not know where he was going, and never arrived to where he thought he had gone.
Kinda like sailing in New England.