another newbie, hull #12502

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
So I'm glad to see I'm not the only guy who loves his "dawgie"! Mine have been inspecting progress and are probably wondering what the hell, get done now so we can go to the beach!

greg_m

May 23, 2017
awesome... I need this kind of motivation.

dawgie needs a pfd!

greg_m

May 23, 2017
My boat does not have cockpit coaming storage spaces. I have been toying with the idea of installing some while I still have easy access and the boat is upside down.

Any thoughts about these... would you miss them if you never had them? Alternatives?

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Greg, I'd miss 'em....I keep a winch handle, knife, sunscreen, cell phone, chart, vhf, etc. handy....oh, also that plastic bottle u see in the last pic....aka cockpit head....

that plastic tub we use for the gas can also comes in handy for such things including drinks...may build something in there in the off season...simple, functional alternative, and keeps the fumes from getting down below, (notorious problem for these early models)...fwiw

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
My boat does not have cockpit coaming storage spaces. I have been toying with the idea of installing some while I still have easy access and the boat is upside down.

Any thoughts about these... would you miss them if you never had them? Alternatives?
I would miss them very, very much.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
I love mine. Everything I need to have handy is right in there on one side or the other. I even made some Sunbrella covers that snap down over the opening and keep the teak looking nice, the contents in and the wasps out. I believe someone here even wired a 12V plug up in one of theirs to keep their devices charged.

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
I would keep my kitty in the coaming storage, just to annoy the dawg of course.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
+1 on the cockpit pockets. I wired a 12v outlet in one and a remote VHF speaker and microphone in the other. Besides the electronics, ours usually contain a few sailing gloves, BBQ lighters, soft shackles, and gear ties - and a large collection of feathers, shells, precious rocks, and other treasures the kids have collected.

@ShotgunSlim - Your Sunbrella covers sound like a great idea - do you have pictures?

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
I have a picture in my photo album on my profile page. They don't look nearly as good now that it's been about 2 years on the boat....

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Coupla more questions...

On the subject of the poptop....one of the support pole's screws (the big screw at the bottom of one post) is stripped out in the fiberglass, is loose, and inconveniently pops out...anyone experienced this, have an eze fix? maybe an insert or something? fill with epoxy and redrill & tap?

Admiral bought a nice Richie SR2 compass to install on the port cockpit bulkhead, requires a 4 5/8" hole saw to drill thru the bulkhead. Before I drop $50 buks on one to drill one hole, anyone have one in their tool collection they care to loan out, for shipping & handling? ...long shot I know, but thought I'd ask...

Sep 30, 2013
Dang, that's a big hole! I've got a 4 1/2" (114mm), but if 4 5/8" is what's required, the 4 1/2" might be more trouble than it's worth. Lemme know.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
WOW, Gene, you 'da man!....just reviewed the template, min hole is 4 1/2" (max 4.80"), so it'll work! If I need a bit more a 1/2 round file/rasp will fix that. Check your pm and thank you!!

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
hate drilling holes in boat, especially BIG ones, but this was necessary...gotta have a decent compass...and many thx to Gene for his assist, toasted to him with a nice Cab once done...Cheers!....

compass 1.jpg
compass 2.jpg
compass 3.jpg

Last edited:

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
WOW. I haven't got a set to do that yet. Still looking at surface mount compass's for the cabin top

Sep 30, 2013
Sharp looking compass. Which one is it, exactly? Daydream came with a compass, but I removed it and cut an even bigger hole, for a chartplotter. :yikes:

It's definitely not something you do lightly. Holes that size don't just go away.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Sharp looking compass. Which one is it, exactly?
tis a Richie SR2...contrary to youtube vid and some of their other models, it doesn't need to be mounted plumb/vertical so no fairing block needed (per their tech folks)....comes w/inside & outside covers and inclinometer....install was eze, albeit scary drillin that hole...!

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
We have a nice bulkhead compass, but I hesitate to install it there. I'm leaning towards 2 compasses, one mounted on each side of the cockpit. have you tested leaning against yours ?
So I may end up with 2 smaller holes, more expense, but better placement. Unfortunately the size of these boats forces some compromises.