How do I step mast on LS13 solo?

LS13OH

Oct 8, 2017
Chrysler Lone Star 13 Atwood Lake
Because the mast step is under the seat I cannot attach the mast at a mast step pivot point so it is impossible for me to lift the mast in place at the step. Any suggestions as to how to do this alone other than ‘start lifting weights’ ?

LS13OH

Oct 8, 2017
I’m guessing about 50 pounds. Easy enough to lift when it’s horizontal but not so easy when holding it near its base.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
If it was me...

I would go to home depot and buy a painters pole, the one that is like 18' or so. I would attach a Y bracket at the top. I would use that to push the mast up at the spreaders then use the pole as a tripod with respect to the shrouds. Then lift the base of the mast into the step, attach the headstay and adjust.

To take it down, rest the painter pole under the spreaders and reverse the process.

If this were me...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I had a 15ft Montgomery. I was able to fit a hinged base plate to the mast and the step. I would lay the mast down in the boat. Attach the hinge pin. Attach the side stays and run the jib halyard to the bow then through a pulley back to the cockpit. I would stand in the boat grabbing the mast about half way, near the balance point. I would lift the mast and pull up the slack on the jib halyard. If I had a helper I would have them pull the jib halyard while ai Lifted the mast into place. With the side stays attached when I got the mast up the stays kept it vertical. By pulling the jib halyard I was able to lift the mast top portion while I pushed and guided the rest of the mast.
Perhaps you can use a similar technique.
Post pictures of the mast step and the mast base so we can see the challenge you are facing,

LS13OH

Oct 8, 2017
mast step.jpg bottom of mast.jpg
If it was me...

I would go to home depot and buy a painters pole, the one that is like 18' or so. I would attach a Y bracket at the top. I would use that to push the mast up at the spreaders then use the pole as a tripod with respect to the shrouds. Then lift the base of the mast into the step, attach the headstay and adjust.

To take it down, rest the painter pole under the spreaders and reverse the process.

If this were me...
I had a 15ft Montgomery. I was able to fit a hinged base plate to the mast and the step. I would lay the mast down in the boat. Attach the hinge pin. Attach the side stays and run the jib halyard to the bow then through a pulley back to the cockpit. I would stand in the boat grabbing the mast about half way, near the balance point. I would lift the mast and pull up the slack on the jib halyard. If I had a helper I would have them pull the jib halyard while ai Lifted the mast into place. With the side stays attached when I got the mast up the stays kept it vertical. By pulling the jib halyard I was able to lift the mast top portion while I pushed and guided the rest of the mast.
Perhaps you can use a similar technique.
Post pictures of the mast step and the mast base so we can see the challenge you are facing,

Oct 22, 2014
Ok. That helps.
So the way I would approach this is to epoxy a wood block to the hull, maybe 6 inches, in front of the metal base plate. It is a spot to rest the bottom of the mast against when you go to raise the mast. (Right now there is not a good place to brace the mast bottom so that you can leverage the mast up to vertical. )
Attach the side stays. Get a helper to pull the jib halyard (connected to bow, with helper standing in front of boat to hoist the top of the mast while you push and guide the mast up from inside the cockpit) as I suggested. You leverage the mast up against the block. As it goes up it is less likely to turn or twist. With someone holding the jib halyard they will be helping to stabilize and pull the mast top forward. When you have almost reached vertical with the mast you step forward and raise the mast to position the mast on the base. The mast will then be vertical and when you pull the jib halyard forward you can then secure the bow stay.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
John, the problem is he has no helper. He wants to do this solo. But you have a good idea with the block of wood.

You can make a "guide" so when the mast is started up it will have something to work against. John is right that there is nothing there to keep the mast from sliding deeper into the bow. I would think that by your self, once the mast is in the slot and against the guide, the rest will be somewhat easy. just have to make sure you have the headstay right at your fingertips so you can move forward to attach.

Taking the mast down I would think would be easier. I imagine just lifting and using the guide to prevent the mast from sliding forward, you can walk it back. I would still recommend some kind of gin pole/painter's pole to use as leverage.

What am I seeing in the second image?

Oct 22, 2014
Brian, I think the second image is the base of the mast.
Solo gets back to his question.
other than ‘start lifting weights’ ?
This might be a need. The gin pole idea is great but you will need to modify the mast.
Solo is not an easy task for this one. It resembles my El Toro days when you grabbed a mast and sail. Tilted it vertical against your instep. Stepped into the boat, vertical lift and down in a smooth motion through the cross deck hole balancing the mast like a Scotsman with a caber.

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
On my 505, I just cut the fiberglass away.... but it has a bulkhead directly in front of the mast step

Oct 22, 2014
This should not be that difficult. The boat is a Chrysler 13 foot daysailor.
My brother-in-law has a 14 foot Chrysler that he bought for $100 (trailer included). Michigan where the Chrysler name means automotive vehicles.
Stick the mast in the hole and go sailing.
There are a few owners in the Mid-West and they love their Chrysler boats. They race their boats. They give their boats all sorts of bling (furlers, adjustable bow stays...).
We boat folk are a strange lot.
What's not to love.