How much movement in Swing Keel

Oct 2, 2017
Catalina 22 Haslett, MI
Hi! Just bought a 1975 Catalina 22. Was wondering how much wobble there is supposed to be in the swing keel. If you grab onto the keel I can move it back and forth a bit making a clunking sound. Boat is on a trailer while doing this. Is this a normal amount of side to side movement or do I need to look at replacing the pivot pin and other associated parts.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
What was the PO comments on maintenance?

I suspect as with all the other really old boats you will want to remove the keel fixings and check them out anyways! This was the advice given me back then too.

There are also some kind of "shims" that some guys install tp stop the wooble... see Clouddancers resto thread.

Otherwise, I hope all else is in good shape with the boat.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Congrats and welcome!
+1 what Greg sez....the wobble is normal, albeit annoying when sailing, but there is a fix...you'll definitely want to chk the keel pivot pin, cable, winch, attachment of cable to keel, keel bolts, volcano hose, general keel condition, etc., all those parts are available from Catalina Direct.

Stick around and start by reading a couple years of threads here, you'll be up to speed in no time. Post some pics and you'll get plenty of advice...No stupid questions here, 'cept those that I ask!

Ron

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
My keel is in good condition, but still wobbles a good bit in the "up" position. If I try to spend the night at anchor with the keel up, the rocking of the boat makes it sound like there's an angry midget under there with a sledgehammer, pounding on the hull all night long. It makes no noise while sailing though, perhaps because it has the shims @greg_m mentioned.

Congrats on your new yacht, and welcome aboard!!

Now, no further questions will be answered until you post some pics. :biggrin:

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
interesting...newly painted? different/unusual trailer?...post more pics, esp. keel...(nothing wrong, just first impressions)....others will chime in...

Oct 2, 2017
Catalina 22 Haslett, MI
Paint does not look new to me. It looks better in the photo than in person. The trailer does look a bit unusual. it's stored at a friends house. I will get some more pics next time I get over there. It's Serial No. 5481. I assume this is the hull number?

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Paint does not look new to me. It looks better in the photo than in person. The trailer does look a bit unusual. it's stored at a friends house. I will get some more pics next time I get over there. It's Serial No. 5481. I assume this is the hull number?
yes, likely the hull #, look for an etching on the outboard transom, top stbd side, and transom inside centered placard, and on mainsail if still with the boat, they should all matchup....(and chk your title too)....

Sep 11, 2013
Catalina 25 6106 Lake Erie Metro Park
Congratulations on your (new to you) Cat 22. I hope you have as much fun as I do with mine.
I have the same trailer. I wasn't able to read the manufacturer's name from the ID plate but was able to see the serial number and date of build. That was enough to get a plate (here in Michigan our secretary of state never checks little details like that). I told them I thought it was a Trailrite. They were only interested in the weight, about 660 pounds.

If you can make out yours, I'd be interested in finding out.

It works well, however, but those "baloney skinner" tires are only good for about 65 mph, (as per Carlyle). I fabricated a keel guide which makes it easy to float the boat back on the trailer.
I went through the whole keel rebuild process: new winch, cable, turning ball, volcano hose, new hangers, stainless bushing, pin, etc. You'll find that most of the play is due to a worn hole in the keel. Drilling the keel for the bushing wasn't that difficult. Getting the boat off the trailer and lowering the keel, however, was a real PITA. I borrowed a series of successively larger drill bits and did it by hand. After dropping the keel into a cradle, I just took my time. no need to use oil, cast iron can be drilled dry. Just be careful to keep the hole at right angles to the keel. I used epoxy to secure the pin. I also added the shims from CD and there's no wobble or clunk. If I can find the pictures, I'll post them but there's lots of good info on the site as to how to do the rebuild.
Once done, it will last for years.
Good Luck,
Tom G

Sep 11, 2013
Here's pictures of the keel removed and the hole. The 5/16 rod stock protruding from the bottom of the boat were used as guides during the lowering and raising processes. Be careful! If the keel gets away from you, it can crush you. It weighs about 600 pounds.

Keel on blox 2.JPG Keel on blox.JPG Keel Pin Hole.JPG MaryEllaOnTheHard.JPG

Oct 2, 2017
Catalina 22 Haslett, MI
Congratulations on your (new to you) Cat 22. I hope you have as much fun as I do with mine.
I have the same trailer. I wasn't able to read the manufacturer's name from the ID plate but was able to see the serial number and date of build. That was enough to get a plate (here in Michigan our secretary of state never checks little details like that). I told them I thought it was a Trailrite. They were only interested in the weight, about 660 pounds.

If you can make out yours, I'd be interested in finding out.

I'm in Michigan too. The title for the trailer says Year: 75 Make: Alloy Body Style: Trailer Wt. or Fee Cat: 900

Where is the ID plate? I will take a look on my trailer

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I'm late commenting on this thread but here are a few pointers;
1. Agree with others, yes keel will wobble a bit in the up position and that is ok.
2. Don't buy CD spacers, too expensive for what they are. Use scrap fiberglass or even the cheap packages of glass cloth from walmart. Laminate your own with epoxy. I just stacked glass scraps between some plastic sheet and pressed it by putting a small piece of plywood and a car battery on top.
3. The placement of the spacers is tricky and will depend on your boat. I'm not sure that are keel trunk are made equal and we know for sure dimensions of kneels can vary. Don't go by the instructions for the CD spacers. My spacers line up with the bottom of the hull when the keel is in the full down position.
4. The painful truth is that if you want to do this job right you have to lift the boat high enough so you can fully lower the keel and check spacing so you can test by fully raising it up. The goal is to eliminate keel play in the down position but also not have the spacers scraping and gouging the inside of the keel trunk.
5. If your keel spacers end up in the top of the keel trunk in he down position this is doing you NO favors. The glass is weaker in there and you could make it bulge. The laminate is strongest at the lower edge nearest the hull.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
To remove 'some' play in the keel, but also an important first step is getting the keel centered; use these Delrin Washers. A pack of 10 is $12. I only used 3 of them to get my spacing right and gave the extra washers to other C22 sailorshttps://www.mcmaster.com/#95647a149/=19pkxgm

Sep 11, 2013
The lift was fabricated from an aluminum extruded product called "Item". You can build all kinds of things from it. It's available from industrial suppliers but it's really pricey. I swapped some electrical work for it from a guy that was closing down a fab shop and didn't want his employees to know.

Sep 11, 2013
It was over a weekend. They showed up Monday morning and the place was empty and the doors were locked.