RESTORATION of '86 C22 "MOON DANCE"

Aug 31, 2017
Catalina Catalina 22 Tampa
Today I removed all the stanchions and chain plates so I could begin cutting the deck. The only problems I had were the outer stanchion hardware which were behind the inner liner lip. I cut out a small section of the lip to gain access to the hardware. Then the cutting commenced. The foredeck didn't seem to have to much water intrusion but the glue in the plywood core let go. The majority of the water intrusion is in the side decks and it looks like it came in through the stanchions mounts. Stay tuned for more.
IMG_1688.JPG
IMG_1691.JPG
IMG_1692.JPG

Jul 26, 2009
. . .
Whoa! Now that's a commitment.

If you haven't seen it, Andy over at Boatworks Today is in the middle of a similar project, although at a much different scale. There are several segments, very interesting to watch.

Aug 31, 2017
Whoa! Now that's a commitment.

If you haven't seen it, Andy over at Boatworks Today is in the middle of a similar project, although at a much different scale. There are several segments, very interesting to watch.

Yeah Andy has some great info on his channel! I watch alot of his episodes.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Love it-- tear that bad girl up!

classic that you noted the ply giving way under the perfectly dry deck-- I have found that 90% of what most would call delaminated is really just that-- dry wood sandwich giving up the glue, and allowing the gel-coat above to flex.

Love the pics-- keep 'em coming, I'll be interested in how you fill back in.

Sep 25, 2016
Oday 22 Lake Arthur
I'm going to have to do something like this, or trade in for another boat, sometime in the not-too-distant future.

So count me among the interested in further details crowd.

Good luck!

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Also check Mads on the Sail Life Youtube channel. He's not the pro that Andy is but he's doing the exact same job on a larger boat. Great entertainment too.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
When you cut out around the v-berth skylight opening - did you notice if the plywood core went right up flush against the skylight?

I ask because I have an 87', and it appears mine has a light tan epoxy in the place of the plywood core surrounding the skylight, and also the same surrounding the upper chain plate slits through the deck. I was surprised to see it that way. Maybe it's a prior repair done well by a previous owner, or I'm just not looking at it correctly. I've had leaking chain plates myself and also concerned about rot.

Aug 31, 2017
did you notice if the plywood core went right up flush against the skylight?
No they had some type of filler that went around the skylight. And on that note, the skylight will not be making a reappearance.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
And on that note, the skylight will not be making a reappearance.
I'm waiting for the.. "I'm cutting out the forward hatch, doing some fibreglass work and installing a nice one like the later new design" portion of this thread. :D

FWIW: on my boat the epoxy around the skylight wasn't complete. I made a nice wood frame for the interior and replaced the deck portion with a piece of lexan. That way, if it ever leaked, the water didn't get trapped between the two clear panels. Much better to simply remove it IMO.

Aug 31, 2017
I'm waiting for the.. "I'm cutting out the forward hatch, doing some fibreglass work and installing a nice one like the later new design" portion of this thread. :D

FWIW: on my boat the epoxy around the skylight wasn't complete. I made a nice wood frame for the interior and replaced the deck portion with a piece of lexan. That way, if it ever leaked, the water didn't get trapped between the two clear panels. Much better to simply remove it IMO.
LR I'm getting rid of the sky light, glassing it over! I don't want to have to worry about it ever coming loose again and letting water ruin the next set of cushions. Re-doing the glass for a bomar hatch is way too much work for me! lol. CD makes a 1/2" curved plexi hatch replacement if I ever decided to go that route. http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/1764_450/hatch-forward-retrofit-c-22.cfm

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
CD makes a 1/2" curved plexi hatch replacement if I ever decided to go that route.
Yeah I was just helping other who are keeping their tiny "skylight". I'd remove it, if i was in your shoes.
Thanks for the reminder about the plexi hatch. I'd seen it before but completely forgot about it.
I coveted it when I saw it but the price was daunting. $745 USD+$65 shipping

Aug 31, 2017
IMG_1698.JPG
IMG_1699.JPG
IMG_1700.JPG
IMG_1701.JPG
Today I got the starboard deck skin and Core removed. Then I sanded the fiberglass with 40 grit sandpaper so that I get a good mechanical bond. Removing the thin wood that was still stuck to the fiberglass was simple with the use of a wood chisel. I also got one of the skins cleaned and sanded.