Will this sink your boat??

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
667177BC-8B07-4A6B-B48B-BCC1681A68A4.jpeg
Now that I got your attention (the question is real)

I have an 1983 C36. It’s so old you really can’t tell if some component came from the factory this way or is a P.O. mod. Anyway the head sink faucet was dripping the sink had rust at the drain hole and leaking underneath so out it all comes. So what does that have to do with the funny funnel?

This is what connected the sink to the drain hose (the securing but was heavily corroded). In a house these non-barbed connections are everywhere. On the boat it is a direct connection to a thru hull that many folks leave open all the time. If the hose drops more than 6” that hose will try and drain the ocean into the boat. That’s bad.

A P.O. had tightened the hose clamp on it to the point it collapsed and really didn’t have a good grip on the hose. The photo above is after I straightened it to test how well a round on would grip if not over tightened, surprisingly it held fairly well. But I won’t trust my boat to it. The next photo is after replacing everything. Yes the fittings are nylon but how much UV is it going to be exposed to??
image.jpg

Les’s take away — check your sinks for this type of fitting and if found give them a good tug to make sure it won’t fall off when Aunt Milly hides here vodka stash in there.

And yes I see several things in the photo that need attention but I do need to balance sailing with maintence. And I have higher priority tasks

Les

May 20, 2016
By the way you can purchase these funny funnels today at WM Defender and right here at this sites store. .......

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
There are all kinds of things on boats which that can ruin your day, this being one example although not as threatening as a broken or rusted hose clamp, brittle hose, cracked thruhull, failed vented loop, etc...

It's always a good idea to thoroughly inspect everything periodically.

May 20, 2016
I have to admit Aunt Mille is completely fiction unfortunately so is her vodka

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Yes it can.
Especially if it's loaded with bad charts that you then trust in your chartplotter.
(ynnuf gnieb m'I)

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Wouldn't sink my boat. Although something like that would sure make a mess. The boat has full flotation, so it shouldn't sink. I only have one seal below the water line, and that is for the keel bolt. There are no other drain holes. I do like not having to think about stuff like that.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
We always close all seacocks when leaving the boat for more than a day.

That said, good post! I have a 1984 C36, I'll take a look at how this was done. On the T3800, all of the sink drains are huge! They are a full 1.5" all the way through. Everything is wire-reinforced hose, double clamped. The sink drain fittings are metal.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Had a buddy hit one of those one day and it fell out.. We thought about it a while and then decided to tie the hoses with a light line so they could not sag below the water line if the "funnel" or the fittings around it failed. timber hitch or something like that around the hose and tied up under the sink loosely..