another newbie, hull #12502

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
damit, why didn't I think of that! The rig has never been properly tensioned so I believe LakeShark's got it solved, thx for that!!! Loos gauge on order...

Joe, great money saving advice, will go that route at some point....will tension properly first.

Anyone have the proper tension specs for the stays & shrouds handy?

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Tension on the rig is one thing. Starting with the mast straight is another. Make sure the mast is straight before you begin. I trailor sail so once the backstay, side stay, and aft lowers were set where I wanted them I used rings to prevent them from turning. Now I only have to deal with forestay and froward lowers when I set everything up. The loose gauge will help greatly but it can be done without one to get you out there sooner. I wish I had one.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Perhaps you could move the eye strap on the bottom of your boom forward an inch or two and stop the chafing. I have no idea how that would affect the performance but that seems to me to be the easiest solution to keep you sailing till the end of summer.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
once again, forum to the rescue, thx guys!

LR...good resource for tuning
LS...good advice
SS...good idea, last resort, once tuned likely won't need

Ron

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I have updated my previous post to clarify setting mast rake with a plumb
bob vs measuring the backstay length.
On our boat, the backstay distance didn't exactly match the guide.
So ..I used the halyard and a heavy wrench, as a plumb bob. Doing it on the trailer gives you a more accurate measurement.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Excellent post, should be a sticky, if there are stickies here! Thx for that!!

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Excellent post, should be a sticky, if there are stickies here! Thx for that!!
I was thinking the same thing so I moved it into it's own thread, and have deleted my original post, and linked to it. There is a bit more info that can be added, and I'll do that when I get a chance.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
did some shop stuff tday....too hot, humid & still to be on the water...needed a chart rack of some sort to cover Hook5 cables thru stbd blkhd as previously posted...some scrap sapele from galley project used up...backside routed out to hide cables...should work out, Admiral found the relax thing to hang somewhere on the boat...I said gimme that...and relax....

chart 3.jpg
chart 4.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
a long journey, but finally out and about under sail, baggy main, poorly trimmed, lacking battens, wind 15kts, got 5kts sog, dawg is a bit befuddled, otherwise all good...
finally 1.jpg
finally 2.jpg
finally 3.jpg
finally 4.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Congratulations!!! Great conditions for a maiden sail, too. The boat looks great, the Admiral looks happy, it's a perfect picture! :thumbup:

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Nice going! I made my first sail under the main alone and in cloudy, rain threatening light wind weather but it was one of the most memorable for me. It's a shame now that I didn't have the GoPro to document it.

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
Awesome! No better feeling than enjoying the fruits of labor.