Need advice - removing mast on H33 2005 w/furling main

Oct 13, 2016
Hunter 33 Kingston
I need advice on lowering the mast on my (new to me) H33 '05 with furling main. I bought the boat with the mast up and I don't think it's been removed for inspection/storage for many years. I have always removed the masts on my previous boats but this is my first Hunter (no backstay) and it has in-mast furling.

I am trying to figure out if there's a way to disconnect the continuous furling line that runs from the stoppers on the cabin top to the winch under the boom. I've been looking at the manuals but I can't find any information about it. Ideally, I should be able to unlock the winch hub to slip the furling line out but I haven't been able to figure out how to do it. It's not obvious how you can get the line out without having to cut the loop.

Other than that, any other precautions I should take due to the in-mast furling? I helped another H33 owner step his mast down a couple of weeks ago but they had the previous generation boat without the furling.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Maurice

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I spliced the continuous furling line in place. You may be able to slip it off the drum at the mast? and remove the blocks at the base of the mast? Otherwise have to cut and time to replace anyways. Did mine few years ago and was fairly easy.

I see you're in Kingston. Which boat did you buy.

Oct 13, 2016
Hunter 33 Kingston
Hi Scott. I was hoping to be able to remove the line at the winch but I can't see how the drum can be removed. I guess I could unscrew the 4 screws holding the entire winch under the boom but it looks like a lot of work for nothing. You mentioned you replaced your furling line a while back, did you do the splice yourself? I can't believe there isn't another option for those who need to lower the mast.

And I will take the time to remove the sails before taking the mast down. No sense in leaving it in the mast all winter.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
On my B&R rig I had to have a splice done on board for the continuous line. If I had gotten it off the drum on the winch I still had to get it through the line stopper. There might be a way to dismantle the stopper but it was not obvious to me. If you do get a new line don't skimp on the cordage. A extra low stretch line will afford you better control of the lower main power and make the boat behave, particularly in a wind gust.

meb135

Nov 17, 2012
Hunter 33 Shediac Bay
I remove my mast every fall. The furling line is easily installed and removed without re-splicing or cutting the line. On the drum you'll notice there's a notch. Use this notch in the drum to insert or remove the line. It's really easy and the notch is there for that purpose.
The line stays on the boat and also remove the sail from the furler. The crane strap should go directly under the top spreaders to provide the best balance.
The mast is not heavy and is easily handled compared to the older model boats.
Make sure your mast stands are high enough to accommodate the long swept back spreaders.
Marc