Cockpit drain modification

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 22 Smithville Lake
I am planning to replace the original cockpit drains on my '76 C22 with l 1/2" stainless steel drains and rerouting the lines through the transom just above water level. Does anyone know of this being done before. It looks as though there is enough of a drop to allow good drainage.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Why make it so complicated, owners been simply installing scuppers in the transom for many years, just like all the C-22's have had since 1986.

Feb 14, 2017
I want to do away with the hole below water level and enhance the rate that the cockpit will drain. If this does not do the job by itself, I will install the brass tubes as well. This is all assuming that I will ever get around to doing anything on my boat besides pumping it out and cleaning the continually accumulating leaves from the cockpit.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Love me some overkill -- I swapped out mine with 2" marlon scuppers- will ultimately feed them to a 2" through hull In addition to the transom drains Don mentioned above.

IMG_2979.JPG

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
I am planning to replace the original cockpit drains on my '76 C22 with l 1/2" stainless steel drains and rerouting the lines through the transom just above water level. Does anyone know of this being done before. It looks as though there is enough of a drop to allow good drainage.
I have actually re-cored my boats entire transom and sheathed the entire hull with fiberglass cloth so effectively there are no holes in the hull at the moment. My thoughts are your exactly. Eliminate all below water line holes! If they not as tight as a ducks arse they will leak!

My plan is to run pvc piping along the side of the internal storage area under the cockpit from the forward drains to a hole through the transom just above the waterline. From my measurements this seems all good in terms of downhill run front to back.

I do however like the transom holes direct from the cockpit floor level idea a lot...

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
thought, since you're "rebuilding" the entire boat....put a new floor in the cockpit sloped properly aft to the transom as in the post '85 models then common transom drains...

greg_m

May 23, 2017
thought, since you're "rebuilding" the entire boat....put a new floor in the cockpit sloped properly aft to the transom as in the post '85 models then common transom drains...
Did you have to say that.....

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
LOL....yea, couldn't help myself! Based upon what you've already accomplished, what's one more challenge to get it right!....and if your transom core was rotted, how's your current floor core condition? (mine is partially suspect, will have to address it at some point)....

Feb 14, 2017
Is there any surface that is supposed to be "level" when the boat is sit in calm water that I can use as a reference point to measure the pitch of the drain lines?

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Is there any surface that is supposed to be "level" when the boat is sit in calm water that I can use as a reference point to measure the pitch of the drain lines?
hmmm, simply put a level on various surfaces...or fill the cockpit with a couple inches of water with the drains plugged and see what you get for "level"...my 2 cents....

Feb 14, 2017
It is sitting on the trailer (STILL). I think that I will use the cockpit seats which were level when I blocked up the boat.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
It is sitting on the trailer (STILL). I think that I will use the cockpit seats which were level when I blocked up the boat.
"on the trailer" won't tell u squat v. on the water, wouldn't rely on cockpit seats IMO...

Feb 14, 2017
Great. "on the trailer" is the best I can manage at this point. An other ideas?

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
In theory, your boot stripe should be level, but it'll take more brains than mine to apply that to the cockpit. I've put a level all over my boat looking for something level while floating, I found nothing.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Okay... whoowee ... so excited to explain this, my marine engineering knowledge!

You need a loooong clear piece of plastic hose. At least 8 meters long or in "American" at least 25 feet long. Clear because you need to see through it!

Take said hose and hold up the two ends.
Fill said hose with suitably coloured water... use red food dye.
Now without loosing the water secure one end of the hose on the front of the boat above the water line... use some duct tape or similar.
Now carefully drain the water out of the free end of the hose until the water level on the secured end of the hose matches the water line... I would go with the center of the boot stripe if you have one.
Now... with out loosing any water out the tube... you can walk around your entire yard and mark the water line level on your garden walls, house wall, car, shed... the neighbours dog if he is big enough... you get the idea.
Go to the stern and secure the hose on the transom... you can level hull forward and aft.
Go to midships port side or stearboard side and you can level the boat athwartships!

Simply old school technology since plastic see through hose has been available!

Now try this on a 300 meter long ship!