Keel cable inspection....I'm glad I took a minute to look

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
Good day... I am needing to replace the ball in my boat. A friend has managed to bring me the genuine Catalina parts for this back from the States.

How did you manage to get the ball out?

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Were you able to figure out why the cable ball locked up?

Probably would have taken a while, but only a matter of time before she let go with that kind of abrasion.

Aug 18, 2016
Catalina 30 mkII 5917 Muskegon, MI
Good day... I am needing to replace the ball in my boat. A friend has managed to bring me the genuine Catalina parts for this back from the States.

How did you manage to get the ball out?
The brass ball has a pin through it and the tunnel opening....once the hose was removed I could easily slide the pin out and take the ball out. Very easy

Aug 18, 2016
Catalina 30 mkII 5917 Muskegon, MI
Were you able to figure out why the cable ball locked up?

Probably would have taken a while, but only a matter of time before she let go with that kind of abrasion.
No clue on that...this is my 2nd summer with the boat and I always release cable tension when trailering...maybe the PO did not always. Last week I checked my keep pin and hangers good....just glad I looked at the cable. New kit on the way!!

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
The brass ball has a pin through it and the tunnel opening....once the hose was removed I could easily slide the pin out and take the ball out. Very easy
Thanks the reply... seems like the builder of my boat got the plan wrong for the cable tube in my boat. It was installed upside down from what I can see and there is zero access to the pin without cutting away the actual tube supporting structure.

The upside of knowing this though is that the ball is quite low down and thus the cable does not contact any part of the tube on the keel side of the tube.