Perplexed with water use H45CC

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
On our 44DS we have the same setup as the OP except we have one holding tank. My wife and I cruise for about 12 days with one shower per day each, washing dishes with fresh water, and fresh water heads, before I start thinking about stopping somewhere for water. We could use less with conservation. I believe the big user you described with 4 people aboard is the heads, seconded by dish washing. I can wash dishes for 2 with about 1 gal of water. The key is don't run rinse water extravagantly. Flushing the heads is another learned art. I flush until the water is clear in the bowl. Don't flush to be sure the waste has reached the holding tank as someone will follow on and flush again. Untrained guests are the killers on water.
BTW, the advantage to fresh water toilets is no odor. Nothing. Also, the pumps are protected from salt water corrosion. We are in our 10th year with the Jabascos with no issues.

Nov 19, 2009
Hunter 45CC Ft Pierce and Abaco Bahamas
Why not just fill a gallon jug like an empty clorox jug with salt water and use it to flush. We use gallon jugs with fresh water when we cruise and about 4 of them last us about a week to 10 days. Just 2 of us on board.
Very good idea actually

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Why not just fill a gallon jug like an empty clorox jug with salt water and use it to flush. We use gallon jugs with fresh water when we cruise and about 4 of them last us about a week to 10 days. Just 2 of us on board.
Seems kinda primitive, no? Like back woods-ish. Plumbing is one of the first benefits of civilization.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
On our 44DS we have the same setup as the OP except we have one holding tank. My wife and I cruise for about 12 days with one shower per day each, washing dishes with fresh water, and fresh water heads, before I start thinking about stopping somewhere for water. We could use less with conservation. I believe the big user you described with 4 people aboard is the heads, seconded by dish washing. I can wash dishes for 2 with about 1 gal of water. The key is don't run rinse water extravagantly. Flushing the heads is another learned art. I flush until the water is clear in the bowl. Don't flush to be sure the waste has reached the holding tank as someone will follow on and flush again. Untrained guests are the killers on water.
BTW, the advantage to fresh water toilets is no odor. Nothing. Also, the pumps are protected from salt water corrosion. We are in our 10th year with the Jabascos with no issues.
What's your fresh water tankage?

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
After my first family cruise with 4 kids and 2 adults, all of the sink faucets got new 1GPM aerators. We used 50 gallons in 24 hours, and 50 for the next 5 days. It was mostly an education issues, as in do not run the water while you brush your teeth.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
My wife and I use about 15 gallons per day when cruising - including showers. We have salt water flush with an electric Sea Era toilet. Washing dishes can be a large user of water, so we use paper plates when we are off the grid. This reduces the dish washing water. Think of your water usage in minutes. My system will go from full to empty (75 gallons plus 6 gallon hot water heater) in about 28 minutes. So if you take long full flowing showers, rinse dishes with unlimited water, flush with your fresh water tank, then 28 minutes goes by faster than you realize.

I think you may have a leak that you don't know about. I'd really go over your system and make sure you are not leaking into the bilge and it's just going overboard or one of your faucets is leaking in a sink. 50 gallons, 4 people, 3/4 of a day with no showers is excessive.

Looks to me like you should consider a water maker if you are going to cruise the Bahamas. CruiseRO systems have 20 and 30 gallon per hour units reasonably priced that are either 12 or 120 volt systems.

Sep 5, 2009
Hunter 45 CC Marina del Rey
Using salt water for flushing the toilets causes marine animal growth which leads to horrible smell. On my previous Catalina 36 I used salt water and flushed with sweet water after finishing sailing. This prevented the smell.
Best, Viktor

Jan 1, 2014
Hunter 42 Upper Chesapeake
I always wipe plates, bowls etc clean then you need very little water to wash or rinse. Used this backpacking also - eat all your food, 1/2 paper towel to wipe out/off your stuff == limited water usage