Florida Catalina owners hurricane plans?

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
We're back!!

Folks ... all our prayers were heard and answered. I mean ALL of them. The house is fine, the boats are fine, the vehicles are fine ... not a scratch on us!!!

Cell signal and internet are spotty but usable for the most part. There's no power, and therefor no running water or AC, but our generator can handle the lights, fans, TV, and best of all: REFRIGERATION.

Everyone's thoughts and prayers are very much appreciated. Ours remain with those who did not fare so well. Between Harvey and now Irma, it's just mind-numbing how so many have lost so much.

Nov 17, 2013
Catalina 22 Scottsdale, AZ
I have a friend with a boat in Clearwater Beach area and he reports the same - no damage to home or boat! This could have been so much worse for Florida.

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 22 Smithville Lake
I am leaving Thursday for Fort Myers to help my son in-laws dad repair his home. I am thankful that you all made it through in good shape.

Aug 31, 2017
Catalina Catalina 22 Tampa
Glad to hear that everyone here so far has fared well during the storm. The keys haven't been so lucky. A lot of friends and people I know down there have lost everything they own. On another note, they're a strong community and will recover and rebuild. My parents house in Key Largo as far as I know has made it through and I'm thankful for that. I'd like to send out a prayer for those less fortunate. The sailing community is something I'm glad to now officially a part of and know we would give each other the shirts off our backs. If anybody needs anything just let me know and I'll do whatever I can to help. God bless and goodnight!

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Great news Gene, glad that Irma didn't cause too much of a problem for you.

Sep 30, 2013
I am leaving Thursday for Fort Myers to help my son in-laws dad repair his home. I am thankful that you all made it through in good shape.
If you are traveling I-175, DO NOT count on getting gas in the Gainesville/Ocala area! Most stations here have no power, and those that do have power only have gas intermittently. If you are lucky enough to find a station with power AND gas, there will be a line of cars out into the street - sometimes with a cop or store employee directing traffic, with a 30 minute wait, and no guarantee there will still be gas by the time you get to the pump.

It's a mess.

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 22 Smithville Lake
If you are traveling I-175, DO NOT count on getting gas in the Gainesville/Ocala area! Most stations here have no power, and those that do have power only have gas intermittently. If you are lucky enough to find a station with power AND gas, there will be a line of cars out into the street - sometimes with a cop or store employee directing traffic, with a 30 minute wait, and no guarantee there will still be gas by the time you get to the pump.

It's a mess.
Thanks for the heads up Gene

Oct 4, 2010
76 Catalina 22 Three Mile Harbor, East Hampton, NY
with a 30 minute wait, and no guarantee there will still be gas by the time you get to the pump
I believe there is an App for where there is gas and how many gallons they have. Came in very useful during Sandy in NY.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Folks ... all our prayers were heard and answered. I mean ALL of them. The house is fine, the boats are fine, the vehicles are fine ... not a scratch on us!!!
Relieved to hear it. :)
Considering how many people were devastated by this storm :( , it very good to hear good news.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
LMAO!! I live right down the road from that place!! :laugh:
Then I'll be honking the horn every time I pass by on my way to see the family Gene. You live in a fantastically beautiful part of the state once you leave I-75 and start cutting back roads. I went to college in Lake City years ago and we used to wander all over on the weekends down there from the Rawlings house, to Keaton beach and every other interesting place we could find.

Sep 30, 2013
Then I'll be honking the horn every time I pass by on my way to see the family Gene. You live in a fantastically beautiful part of the state once you leave I-75 and start cutting back roads. I went to college in Lake City years ago and we used to wander all over on the weekends down there from the Rawlings house, to Keaton beach and every other interesting place we could find.
Well don't just honk, Slim, stop by and say hello! I'm 2.9 miles off the interstate, one exit down from Micanopy. :)

This area does have the most beautiful scenery in Florida, in my humble opinion. Only the most remote beaches and barrier islands on the gulf coast can even argue the point.