P42 - good location to VHF in cockpit

Jan 1, 2014
Hunter 42 Upper Chesapeake
My main VHF is next to the chart table. While well protected it is not useful for long range communication when in the cockpit.

Looking for ideas on where to install one in the cockpit that won't cost me seating

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
Vhave you considered a VHF with a RAM3 remote?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I installed the Ram3+ mike last spring and it has been excellent. Need to remember to turn off the system prior to plugging in or removing so you do not error and jam a pin in the wrong connection. IT IS NOT PLUG AND PLAY. You have full control of the VHF. The mike and speaker are in your hand. AIS is provided.
In stall was easy. Locate where you want the mike and cord to hang. Drill holes for the fitting and screws. Clip the ferrite core not he cable behind the mike fitting. Route the cable (I think it is about 15 feet long). It was plenty long enough to go from the aft portion of my cockpit to the radio in cabin with cable to spare. Connect to the radio. Done. Turn on and enjoy vhf communication in the cockpit.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Are looking to install another complete VHF or a remote, full function mike (like the RAM+ unit above)?

What is the VHF unit that you have at the Nav Station?

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I have the Ram3 mike and I really like it. I also have a small handheld VHF with gps. I actually use the handheld more than the Ram3. The Ram3 does display all the same AIS data as the VHF below, and that's very handy.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Looking for ideas on where to install one in the cockpit that won't cost me seating
Hi Keith, what happened to the original that was mounted at the helm pedestal console? Ours still works, but no AIS; no problem here. If ours ever dies that location seems to work pretty well.

Jan 1, 2014
Hunter 42 Upper Chesapeake
I just tried it earlier this year and nothing. Having said that I forgot I even had it and have been using my handheld up top.

Usually sailing days or a simple overnight so really had not given it much thought.

Was going through my stuff in the garage and found a mic.

Will need to trace the wires or at least test for continuity to be sure it's not the wiring.

May 23, 2013
Hunter H42 Passage East Chicago and Hammond
P-42 On the VHF radio cable, I am moving mine from the cockpit to the Nav station (due to size of new radio & upgrading all electronics). My question is does anyone know where or how the VHF cable is run from the mast?
Mine comes down mast and goes into one of two tubes (electrical runs) under the mast. From there I have no idea on how it gets up to the cockpit. The next place I find the cable is coming out of the wood on the back wall of the door in the aft stateroom then up to the pedestal.
The real question is, since I know that the two tubes (electrical runs sandwiched between cabin ceiling and the outside cabin roof) have to be factory installed, where do these tubes terminate? They contain the wind vane, mast lighting and the VHF cable. I really need to know because I need to run a new wind vane line.