Florida Catalina owners hurricane plans?

Aug 31, 2017
Catalina Catalina 22 Tampa
Just curious what my fellow owners in Florida are doing to secure and safeguard their vessels from this ******* storm? I currently have very limited storage area here in Tampa and am stuck parking my boat next to 4 oak trees that haven't seen a serious storm like this in a few years.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Most friends have no choice with their boats in water at their docks and have many extra lines fenders boards and some even tie in middle of canal.
Most have Mandatory Evacuations and have already left for safer locations and my. Sailboat
Is tied at dock as best we can and all we can do is hope for the best but most important is stay Safe with storm only just starting to march up through Florida.
Nick

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
ah, a bit late mate IMO, (I would have evac'd w/boat), but at this stage, were I in your shoes, I'd strap it down to the trailer with mast down, tie all that off to your oak trees if no open ground nearby (not ideal), hope your trees don't topple over on it, and head to a shelter. If you're in a surge area, afraid you may be SOL....stay safe, the boat can be replaced, you can't....and you're going to suffer the brunt of it from all indications....

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
The boats are strapped down on their trailers, tires flattened, mooring lines run out to trees, phone poles, etc. The Vega's mast is up, sadly, but she is snugged up beside the house in what will be the leeward side during the worst of it. 60-80 mph is all we're forecasted to get here. I'm more worried about this flimsy old doublewide than the boats, honestly.

We view our trees as a mixed bag. If the house survives, we will have the trees to thank. If the house is destroyed, it will likely be the trees that cause it. But the boats are out of reach of any big ones likely to fall.

@SVMOONDANCE, what species are your oaks? If they're live oaks, you're fortunate to have them. Mine are mostly laurel oaks ... aka widowmakers ...

Aug 31, 2017
The boats are strapped down on their trailers, tires flattened, mooring lines run out to trees, phone poles, etc. The Vega's mast is up, sadly, but she is snugged up beside the house in what will be the leeward side during the worst of it. 60-80 mph is all we're forecasted to get here. I'm more worried about this flimsy old doublewide than the boats, honestly.

We view our trees as a mixed bag. If the house survives, we will have the trees to thank. If the house is destroyed, it will likely be the trees that cause it. But the boats are out of reach of any big ones likely to fall.

@SVMOONDANCE, what species are your oaks? If they're live oaks, you're fortunate to have them. Mine are mostly laurel oaks ... aka widowmakers ...
Unfortunately they're Laurels!

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
The boats are strapped down on their trailers, tires flattened, mooring lines run out to trees, phone poles, etc.
Gene, we hauled and put on the hard on high ground early last week when it was still forcasted possible for our area, no issues here now obviously, unless Jose changes course...one thing we do here with multiple adjacent boats is tie the boats & trailers together for more stability....just a thought, since you have two there....fwiw...

Be safe, prayin' for you guys, boats & house!

Ron

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017
I was up in Omaha when word came that Irma was coming at us. We only had 2 days to get prepared. I got lucky that I was able to get real plywood and not OSB like a lot of others here are putting up on their houses. I've got the boat strapped to the trailer and two anchors in the ground off each end of the boat. Just going to have to keep our fingers crossed that these Laurel oaks hold fast!

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Be safe Gene and everyone in the path -- crossing our fingers for y'all.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Removed the electronics and cushions, threw several more lines to secure the mast, but unfortunately, fully expect we will lose the boat and RV by tomorrow morning. Friend evacuated before we had a chance to pull the outboard off the boat in the canal behind his house. Seriously doubt his boat will survive either.
Don

IMG_4828.JPG

IMG_4834.JPG

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
That's awesome news @CaptDon01 I was heart broken at the thought of your loosing your entire rig. Perhaps some day we will even sail togather. Truly this was a answer to prayer for all our southern sailors! Anyone know how @Gene Neill faired?

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Never thought I would see our C-22 or our RV again, but when the storm turned east after hitting Ft Myers it was a HUGE relief for us. Worst thing we experienced was about 12 hours without power. We were very lucky!

Don
wonderful news! likewise, anxiously waiting to hear from Gene...