Leaking Windows 2004 Hunter 41

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 41 Longport,NJ
Need some advice on this one - very nice Hunter 41 has some leaking cabin windows. These are the triagular like fixed windows on the sides of the cabin, not the portholes. Tried tightening the screws form the inside around the metal seal but one had been stripped and would not set - figure this would help Any ideas ? I was thinking to inject a bit of fiberglass filler, let it hardeb off and then re-sink the screw - rather to try this than replaceing and taking apaty the whole thing Any thoughts ?

Jim

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
It is the bedding on the lense. Black silicone like stuff. Dow 795 i believe. Many threads about re bedding. I have had luck with just a small dab of sealant where there are separations. I made the mistake of using a high pressure washer on the deck and sprayed a couple of windows too closely. It separated the Black sealant from the plexiglass and created a small weep path.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
A friend has a 80 ish 36 Catalina and his windows have been leaking for years
and did not want to try rebidding them and all that work and been trying all kinds of sealers but nothing worked.
I suggested using that new stuff flex seal and he did and masked and I am pretty sure he used the can and brush and he told me no leaks,I had told him I been using it on my RV roof seams and love it.
Nick

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
This product may sound like snake oil but if your leaks are not too big try Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure. Had several small leaks on our daughter's 1981 Catalina 25 and it worked like a champ. It comes in 2 oz bottles with a small applicator tip. It pours like skim milk but it wicks into small cracks in a capillary action. Several applications may be necessary. Several years later no leaks and still have one oz left. Try that before rebedding.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Had the same problem on ours. Took the window right off, cleaned and rebedded with Dow 795. Has been fine for several years. Tried other methods etc. but did not work. Do it right. Was not difficult just time consuming and finicky.
Screws on the inside are interior trim only so will not do anything.

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 41 Longport,NJ
Thanks - looks like I should "do it right" Anyone have a really good link on how to do this on this boat ?

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Having rebed windows on a previous boat I was well aware of the labor to "do it right" and facing the occasional rain we get in Washington I cast about for alternatives. It was on this forum I read about Capt Tolleys product. Even though I had already purchased the necessary materials to do it right I thought I'd give this a try. So I invested $14 for the 2oz bottle and spent the 10-12 seconds it took to apply a pin size diameter track of the product on the window seams. As the instructions said it might take several applications. I did it three times over several days, in between rainy days. Now, four years later and just having suffered the wettest Washington winter on record still no leaks. And as I said earlier I still have an ounce left.

Sep 20, 2006
Thanks - looks like I should "do it right" Anyone have a really good link on how to do this on this boat ?
When I did mine, I removed the window, scraped all the old caulking off, cleaned the area, cleaned with soap & water, cleaned with water, cleaned with water, cleaned with water, let dry. I used blue tape all around the window on the outside and inside, put on the caulking, and replace window. Squeeze out cleaned up with scraper and then wet finger to smooth. Remove tape.

Also, search these forums as lots have done this in the past.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Taking the windows off, once you can get a small fishing line filament in between you can cut the rest of the caulk using in a saw blade fashion but DO NOT USE ACETONE ON THE WINDOWS OR YOU WILL CRAZE THEM. ACETONE LIKES TO ATTACK PLASTICS. USE ONLY ALCOHOL IF ANYTHING TO CLEAN THE WINDOWS. If any small scratches you can wet sand them out and then compound with a fine compound which I use to use Finese It by 3M.

Sep 20, 2006
Taking the windows off, once you can get a small fishing line filament in between you can cut the rest of the caulk using in a saw blade fashion but DO NOT USE ACETONE ON THE WINDOWS OR YOU WILL CRAZE THEM. ACETONE LIKES TO ATTACK PLASTICS. USE ONLY ALCOHOL IF ANYTHING TO CLEAN THE WINDOWS. If any small scratches you can wet sand them out and then compound with a fine compound which I use to use Finese It by 3M.

Good point. I only used the acetone on the fibreglass, but better to use alcohol. Was all I had at the time.