Yanmar 3GM30F Wire Connector

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
After replacing the Yanmar starter button on my 2000 340 because of intermittent starting issues I found this wire connection. Reading all the posts relating to Yanmar's wiring issues, I traced all the wires to see if any deterioration of the wires, as many have said could be a further issue.
As I said, I found this cracked 3 Wire to 2 Wire Connector, pulling apart from each end.
I checked inside and it's a series of bayonet type connectors. After pushing it together, I taped it until I can get another.
Now, what is it called, where can I get another one and will a new one come with long leads on each end?
Has anyone replaced one like it on their boat?
Thank you for any help you can offer.

Attachments

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
why are you saying it is 3-2 looked like three wires coming into it from both sides - red-blue-white - with most likely the same coming out the other side (blue is hard to tell with the engine paint) - but they dont look like weatherpak style.

Sep 26, 2008
Leslie,
It very well could be, as you say, 3 to 3 wires. The entire harness moves less than a 1/4 of an inch in any direction. The connector even less. And twisting it wasn't part of something I wanted to do without a replacement.
That's why I asked if a new one would come with longer leads. I could always secure it if that's the case, to avoid hot engine surfaces.
I do know, that when it was pulling away from each end, it did cause intermittent starting.
Maybe it could be others starting issues also. Worth checking for.

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
Suggestion,
If you have enough wire at the connection replace it with individual heat shrink connectors. Or bypass it with direct wiring to the switch

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
The broken case on the connector will not adversely effect the current carrying capacity as long as it is held together - I think I would unplug it - check/correct for corrosion - smear of super lube as a anti-corrosive method and tape it back up.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
According to the service manual ch 12 this assembly is called "extension wireharness" which is a cable between the two plugs from the panel and the two plugs from the cable at the engine. The option exists to replace the wire harness with the attached plugs at each end. I would correct the issue by replacing the plug connectors with individual spade connections between each pair of wires in the degraded plugs.

Attachments

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Those connectors are a weak link in the circuitry and are mostly responsible for the intermittent starting maladies. You can eliminate it and bypass it with heat shrink connectors or individual spade connectors like other shave suggested.

Jun 27, 2004
Hunter 34 New Bern, NC
I believe this connector is used to connect the engine control panel wiring harness to the harness for the engine. When Yanmar builds an engine they do not know how far away the control panel will be, so Yanmar supplies several different wiring harnesses in differing lengths. I think you should take this connector apart, clean up the terminals and put it back together with some dielectric grease. If you have a problem with it you can order the wiring harness and replace the section that goes to the panel.

Dec 29, 2012
Hunter 37 Jacksonville
After months of the same issues. I can only recommend that you remove the plugs. My solution was to cut out both sides of the plugs, then add a 3-4 inch piece of wire with a crimp butt connector on each side. I would further recommend you remove the plugs totally. I had several mystery items solved by taking the connector out.

Dec 29, 2012
Hunter 37 Jacksonville
Sorry, why is it that the enter key prods my memory so often........ Also the added issues for me was the heat of the engine. The connector would work well when the engine compartment was cold. But after running the engine for a few minutes the heat would expand the outer connectors ( at least that's my theory). As the connection would be perfect in the slip, but after going out the engine would not start. Next testing at slip it would work every time. Till I finally started it in the slip, ran for 20 minutes, then would try a restart and it would fail most times. Extremely frustrating till I finally tumbled to the pattern.

Sep 26, 2008
I agree with you ...the connector has to go. Some heat shrink connectors are on their way now. As soon as the arrive, it's my next project.
I have multiple issues that may or may not have caused the intermittent starting. The starter button was very sloppy and felt loose when you push it. Hard to explain that but it just didn't seem right.
Another possible cause could be the battery(s). I have 3 AGM Group 31 for my House Bank and 1 Battery as my Starter Bank. All purchased at the same time. All are not hold a charge as they when new. I always had 13.75 to 14.00 V, now I'm at 12.05 V.
I'm really thinking that with the batteries losing power, combined with the cracked connector and the starter button, all points had to lead to intermitted starting.
My real feeling is the batteries first. If they're not up to par I just don't have the amps to power the starter.
Maybe others can weigh in on this for me.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... I have 3 AGM Group 31 for my House Bank and 1 Battery as my Starter Bank. All purchased at the same time. All are not hold a charge as they when new. I always had 13.75 to 14.00 V, now I'm at 12.05 V.....
My B323 has 3 x 31. It sounds like one of your batteries is sucking down the others. Each of my batteries has an on/off switch, and can isolate the batts for inspection. Maybe your 3 are all wired in parallel?

Sep 26, 2008
I am wired in parallel, the 3 house bank side. I check each one separately (not wired together) and all have the same readings or at least close to each other. Do you have pictures or diagrams of your on/off switches for each? I think we'd all like to see that.