Vision 36 Solar Panel Replacement

May 25, 2004
Hunter Vision 36 Elk Grove, Ca
Has anyone replaced the solar panel on the Vision 36? The wiring has to be upgraded for the new panel and trying to find where the wire runs, despite looking at the wiring diagram has been a challenge. It appears that the wiring is loose and can be used to pull a heaver gauge wire. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
On my 40.5, it goes to the battery switch.

May 25, 2004
That is not the problem. It having to upgrade from a 14/2 wire to 10/2 gauge and figuring out how the wire is run. The old panel was 10W and the new one is 30W, so the wire has to be upgraded to take the load. So far it appears the wire has been run between the hull and the liner and is hidden.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Ah. Got it. I understand now. Can't help on wiring runs for the V36. You might check with Steve Dion. Check the owner directory. He may have owned your boat. Good luck and post a follow up I had no idea the amps would be that different.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Why the need to upgrade wire size??? 14/2 should handle your 30W or 2.5A without substantial voltage drop and you can typically run 15A (7 times your load) in 14 awg

Les

May 25, 2004
Rick and Les
LOL yea Steve did own it, it was docked next to mine for years when he decided to sell it. She is now the Witch of Endor.
When the panel were installed when the boat was built, diodes were used to direct current into the battery and they can not handle the output of the new one. The controller that goes with the new panel is specific that 14/2 is not sufficient to handle the load. Lot of changes since 1994. Hopefully the wire is not secured into place and we can just pull the new one. I suspect that I am the first on this model to try this. I appreciate all the input.
Don

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Well, Donald, you have a great boat there...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Don, no knowledge of your boat. I did read recently of an owner using coated lifeline to fish wires through a tight space. The lifeline wire is stiff, and the coating helps to let it slide. Would think it might be useful in the space between the liner and the hull. Once thru you could attach your new 10/2 wire and use the fish as a messenger line.

Oct 22, 2014
Best of luck Don... Remember.... If first you don't succeed Sit down have a beer and try again... About the 5th time you won't care and likely just wait for another day... or until you run out of beer.. Oh no.:yikes:

May 25, 2004
Well it turns out that the replacement panel sold here will not work.The boat was wired for a 10W panel and the one sold at this site is a 30W requiring an upgrade of wire from a 14/2 to a 10/2. After several hours with the electrician exploring how the boat was wired, we came to the unfortunate conclusion that the only way to run the needed upgraded wire was to cut the boat apart. So looks like I will be looking for a 10W panel that the existing wiring can handle.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
30 watts is under 3 amps @ 12v (30/12 ). 14 awg is more than big enough. I think you are confusing watts for amps.
Les

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Unless your one-way wire run is well over 20', 14 gauge wire can handle the 30watts with less than a 2% voltage drop. And if you can accept a 4% voltage drop, you can go twice that distance. I can see where the controller instructions might say that 10 gauge is necessary, because the controller is probably designed for panels of higher wattage.

Oct 22, 2014
Don. It seems unbelievable that you cannot run the wire you need with out "cutting the boat apart". All of these boat projects are about solving problems. Why not take some pictures of the problem areas and get some ideas from the problem solvers here on the forum.
Les is questioning the electrical demand. He has talent with electrical issues.
Take a picture or two and post them.

Apr 16, 2017
Hunter 37.5 East Hampton, NY
The diodes are built into most panels so the old ones are of no consequence. The 10 watt panel did not require a voltage controller and the 30 watt will. My Legend 37.5 has two fuses at the battery switch panel for the solar panel so that each battery bank has a separate fuse. A 30 watt panel puts out 17 volts so that the max output is less than 2 amps well within the range of a 15 length of 14 gauge.

Apr 16, 2017
Hunter 37.5 East Hampton, NY
Here are typical specs for a 30 watt panel.
  • ALEKO® 30 Watt Monocrystalline Solar Panel - Nominal Output Voltage 12V
  • Operating Voltage (Vmp): 17.5V
  • Operating Current (Imp): 1.71A
  • Open Circuit Voltage (Voc): 22.0V

The diodes are built into most panels so the old ones are of no consequence. The 10 watt panel did not require a voltage controller and the 30 watt will. My Legend 37.5 has two fuses at the battery switch panel for the solar panel so that each battery bank has a separate fuse. A 30 watt panel puts out 17 volts so that the max output is less than 2 amps well within the range of a 15 length of 14 gauge.