V-Birth

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
Hi All -
I've owned my Capri 18 for about a month now, and haven't sailed it yet. I have a couple more projects to go and it should be ready for a spring launch.

I'm surprised that I don't see anything in the "owner modifications" section for this boat. It seems like unless I'm sailing with a 4 year old or a dog, the v-birth is too small. I have thought about getting rid of the cushions and building cabinets or shelves in that space. I'd want to leave some space for duffle bags and other gear, but as a birth it's kind of silly.

Thoughts?

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Hi All -
I've owned my Capri 18 for about a month now, and haven't sailed it yet. I have a couple more projects to go and it should be ready for a spring launch.

I'm surprised that I don't see anything in the "owner modifications" section for this boat. It seems like unless I'm sailing with a 4 year old or a dog, the v-birth is too small. I have thought about getting rid of the cushions and building cabinets or shelves in that space. I'd want to leave some space for duffle bags and other gear, but as a birth it's kind of silly.

Thoughts?
Agree 100%. The V berth is too small for adults on a C22 also. Plus it covers the potty. We pulled the cushions out and we use the area for stowage just like you're thinking (although I haven't felt the need to build shelves yet).

Aug 5, 2014
We use our v-berth to hold some of your sailing gear and other stuff; i.e. spinnaker, rain gear, overnight bag, line, and at times our granddaughter. Our granddaughter loves to go sail camping with us as much as she can, and she still fits at age eleven. We manage her in the v-berth by doubling blankets up over the center cushion and keep her feet forward.
upload_2017-9-18_8-3-33.png

It is true that the Catalina Capri 18 v-berth is small, but that is okay. This boat is small and compact, just the size we want for our greatest fun in sailing. Have fun sailing this next spring. Here is a little video that I put together of my sailing adventure with a friend and his sons last weekend…
This is really a nice boat.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
John,
The Capri-18 is a GREAT boat and way overbuilt. Best boat by far in her size in my opinion. Yes, the V-berth is pretty small, we just used it for storage and slept on the really nice large quarter berths. But it was only my wife and I cruising on the boat. Here are a few modifications we made to our Capri-18:

Don
CAPRI 075.jpg

A bimini mounted on an adjustable track sure makes a nice cover while sailing, and is GREAT to keep the dew out of the cabin when sleeping on board with the hatch boards removed

AUTOHELM 001.JPG

Autopilot installation, sure makes life easy not having to man handle the tiller on long trips

BOOMKICKER 001.JPG

Boom kicker installed, helps with light air for a nice full main

CAPRI 029.JPG

Johnson Quick Lever on the backstay. Simplifies rigging. Leave it loose, and once the forestay is attached, all you do is pull the lever and the rigging is nice and secure.

CAPRI 028.JPG

Installed the depth sounder transducer under the compainionway

CAPRI 046.JPG

Very cheap and easy to bring the halyards back to the cockpit. I just turned the machine screw for the mast raising system over and installed an eye-nut. Attached a couple blocks that serve as turning blocks for the halyards to come to the cockpit with a simple cleat to secure them.

STEP 002.JPG

Plywood cover for a milk crate for more storage and a nice step into the cabin. Fit's in the cockpit also for a nice table for your morning coffee or lunch

STEP 003.JPG

Bottom view of the milk crate cover

VHF 002.JPG

Masthead VHF antenna installation

VHF 01.JPG

Mounted the VHF on the overhead using a mount I fabricated that uses the same holes for the halyard cleat on the cabin top

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
These are great modifications, and even better documentation, CaptDon01! This reminds me of an old book called "Sailing Big on a Small Sailboat" by Jerry Cardwell, where he outlines affordable improvements that can be made to smaller sailboats to make them more comfortable. You should write your own book because you're the master at this.