what would you do? sailing off dock w/ no engine

Sep 25, 2016
Oday 22 Lake Arthur
I know this forum is about boats rather than tactics, so if I'm barking up the wrong tree here, please point me the right direction.

Sketch (27).png

so here's the sitch: Masthead (big headsail) Oday 22. No motor. strongish wind coming in, shallows, shoreline and boats to hit. (orange "boatz" are pontoons - shallow draft area/docks, btw)

• can't go left off end of dock (45°), because wind blows me back to shore before I can build any forward speed.
  • can't go right (180° or greater) because shallows and boatz.

tried to drop headsail to prevent wind from turning boat so much, sail only on mainsail, but not much luck. Hard to do anything then, really. Masthead boat doesn't like to point on only mainsail.

white line is what actually happened. Tried to close haul off dock, hoping to soon tack to port on a 45° or so course, but wind blew me starboard and I had to come around. Figured I could come back into the dock, anyway, but managed to miss dock by just that much and get out of there on 45° course.

so successful, but not fun, hairy, and would not really want to do again.

the only other thing I can think to do would be kedge out or be towed. Or just buy a motor.

Am I missing something obvious?

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Buy a motor or launch from Bear Run when winds are from the East.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Get a smaller head sail. Or a motor (even a small electric will give you enough to get away from the dock). The smaller headsail will allow you to point with out blowing you off the wind. Easier to manage. Nothing wrong with what you did. Sometimes you got to do what you got to do.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Hmmm.... not much of a sailing forum when 4 of 5 responses say "get a motor" heh, heh.
Anyway, your predicament is the classic "lee shore", magnified by being locked in a corner, giving you one small option.... bend the boat around to the end of the pier so you are lying across the wind.... start on a beam reach with both sails well extended... bring in the main to pull the boat away from the dock, don't drop the forward spring (the one that keeps the boat from going forward) until you feel the boat pulling off .... release the spring, trim in the jib just enough to help the main..... and beam/close reach your butt out of there.

The other strategy is to choose a better launch site.... no corner in the wind

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I would stay at the dock until I had a motor. Why risk damaging other folks boats. Read the fine print on your moorage agreement most bigger marinas forbid you from sailing in the marina

Les

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Wait for wind change or get a motor or hey how about both.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Looks like you were close. Point a little lower "head towards the boatz" you will go faster and have therefore more control. Tack before you crash and should be OK.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The joy of sailing is that there is always something to learn and each trip off the mooring (or dock) is different and a learning experience. Good that you are asking questions, that's how you learn; make mistakes, screw up, and figure out how not to get into the same jam again.

Sailing off a lee shore in tight quarters with expensive obstacles (BTW, how's your liability insurance?) is one of the most challenging situations to be in. The number of "get a motor" responses should give you a clue about that.

That you are asking this question suggests that you are still in the early learning phases of sailing, hence my suggestion that you get a motor. Crashing into other boats or running aground at the beginning of a sail is a great way to discourage guests from joining you and a wonderful way to ruin and afternoon sail. If the lee shore conditions are typical for your sailing grounds, a motor becomes more important. If lee shore conditions are not typical, then plan your sailing for days when the wind is blowing off shore.

Over time, your skills will develop and sailing off the dock will be a no brainer. In the meantime, learn your boat, practice sailing upwind, and develop your skills. Most importantly, develop a love and passion for sailing and bring others along for the ride.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Good for you to make it!

At what size does everyone think a sailboat needs an engine? 16 feet, 30 feet, 22 feet? All, none? That's too subjective a question for me.

I think you're good sailing your 22' sailboat without an engine, if you choose.

In that circumstance, without an engine on on a 22' sailboat, I'd wait for someone to tow me safely out a bit to sail. In fact I wouldn't be against waiting for someone to tow me off the dock in my boat, if wind was too much to get off(or wait for better conditions).

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
If you don't have the confidence to pull off a maneuver safely then I'm in the camp of getting a motor and using it until you feel more in control. Ultimately I agree that the approaches suggested by both JohnShannon and Joe should work. If it were me I'd probably try JohnShannon's approach, heading off on port tack just below close hauled, and tacking just before the boatz. Looks like about 4 boat lengths? Should be enough time to get enough steerage to tack. 10 knot winds should be pretty favorable for maneuvering - enough wind to get some speed on but not so much as to be overpowering.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
L&L in sailing I always found it necessary to create a plan then execute the plan.
The suggestion for positioning the boat at the end of the dock gives you room to sail off on starboard. I think if you are ready for quick actions the port tack will also work. Just anticipate the next tack and have your crew ready for action.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I am wondering if, as mentioned, do not bring the sails in too tight. That might be why you are being "pushed" away from the dock and into the other boats. As mentioned before, try leaving the dock under jib alone. You will get forward motion. But do not bring the sail in too tight. Just enough to get lift. Also, you might try a hove-to technique. Hove-to also give you a slow forward motion.

You can do this. We have faith.

Sep 25, 2016
Oday 22 Lake Arthur
Okay, thank you to those of you that didn't just say "get a motor."

BlowMeAway--Launching from Bear Run is a silly idea for a sailboat. Besides, I dry moor with the mast up at this ramp.

Anyone who thinks I was a danger to the pontoons or property other than my own didn't read my post.

dlochner, thanks for sounding supportive while still managing to say "get a motor." Good effort, tho. I'm probably not going to learn how to sail better if I'm motoring, and that is what I am asking.

Brian D-- I may have had sails in too tight, as you suggest. Thanks to you and StuJackson for the jib-only suggestion -- although I felt the wind on the jib was turning the boat to leeward, but that might be a sails too tight problem.

I may have also let go of the dock lines too early. Joe suggested an approach that I will study and attempt the next time this situation occurs.

Thanks again, everybody, or most of you. And if anyone else has anything useful to say, I'm always happy to read it.

Jan 15, 2012
Ericson 28/2 Port Kent
Sometimes "common sense" is a bummer. Nothing wrong with having an auxiliary and using it when conditions require. Maybe it should be considered as an additional (life saving) safety device like your PFD. Yes, it's good to be able to "work" your way out of a difficult situation. It's also good to get away cleanly, easily and avoid inducing stress for no good reason. Maneuvering is just one of the many items of concern when sailing. After having to paddle a 19ft. sailboat three miles back to the dock when the wind failed, hours before predicted, a little motor seemed like an excellent idea to me.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Couldn't resist this one. Oday 22? No motor? No problem. No sails required. How? Sculling with the rudder. Saw this demonstrated during the J24 worlds back in the late seventies. They don't use motors to cut down on weight. Of course I had to try it on my Oday 22. By rocking the boat port and starboard and shifting the rudder a surprising amount of forward motion can be generated. Start by straddling the tiller. Begin rocking the boat either port or starboard and at the same time move the tiller to that side of the boat. Then rock back to the other side and move your tiller accordingly. You don't need to pump the thing like a madman just use a rhythmic motion. As the boat returns upright from one side use it to begin the motion to the other side. I have used this on my Oday 27 with some success though it is a much heavier boat and won't respond as well as a light 22. Give it a try, it's fun wowing the crowds. Sorry wheel boats it only works with tillers.