Fluxgatecompass

Jutta

Aug 1, 2013
Hunter 336 Lelystad
We do have a 96 Hunter 336 and a problem with the Autohelm ST4000. Don't laugh as me, but I cannot find the fluxgatecompass. Where is it normally placed? By the way. I already checked the boxes wherein the lenspum is installed and (although it perhaps would not make sense) the other one with the batteries, and Victron battery. I checked the box behind the compass with the holder wherein you can place the max of 4 softdrinks. HELP PLEASE and million thanks in advance for any solution.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Can't Identify for your particular boat but usually installed near center of boat

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It will be wired in your boat to the other components. Follow the wires.

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
on the newer 41s it was in the bilge, or on mine in the wall cavity in the forward cabin. I found a TV 12 volt transformer right next to it......how stupid. That got removed along with the old TV. Tracks much better now.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Find the AP control box and its manual. Identify the fluxgate's wire position (don't need to take off the cover just count the wires from one end till you get to the right ones identified in the manual. Then follow the wires. The unit is a 2ish inch round black and about 2 inches tall.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Find the AP control box and its manual. Identify the fluxgate's wire position (don't need to take off the cover just count the wires from one end till you get to the right ones identified in the manual. Then follow the wires. The unit is a 2ish inch round black and about 2 inches tall.
Mine was installed under the aft bunk in the starboard opening below the bunk (the square piece of plywood with a finger hole in it). It could have as easily been in the port opening. Seemed to be a little close to the engine for me so when I installed my new unit I moved it all the way forward under the cabin sole in the V-berth. Just have to remember to not let anyone store any metal nearby. I accidentally laid a battery operated drill right on top of it and the autopilot when wonkers. OOOPS!

Oct 27, 2016
Seattle
And now a word from the sponsor...
Replacement in-deck solar panel

Finally, a drop-in replacement for the in-deck solar panel on Hunters built from the early 90s through the mid-2000s. Improved for longer life and greater output.
See the product

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
It should be a 3x3x3 black box, with Autohelm on the cover, one cable, and on its lonesome.

I found mine, in the aft cabin, port side, and by the layout of your boat....

In the head board storage of the bed area.

I'm guessing of course.
Jim...

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
On my 356 I think it was located on the centerline aft of the aft berth. I don't remember exactly but look under the berth towards the rear or above the liner in that area. I had the boat for a few years before I found it.